Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:17 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Dafter than daft. Do you have to work hard to conjure up such idiocy or does it just flow naturally?

Please explain how the relevant post is idiocy. Does it contain falsehood or inaccuracy? What fault do yu find in it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Yes, yours are.

Please, go ahead and attack it with reason and logic. We're waiting.

Ball is in your court.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:24 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Please, go ahead and attack it with reason and logic. We're waiting.

Ball is in your court.
Why do I have the feeling that the only "we" waiting is the royal "we". One cannot attack or address reasonably and logically that which is neither reasonable nor logical.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Why do I have the feeling that the only "we" waiting is the royal "we". One cannot attack or address reasonably and logically that which is neither reasonable nor logical.

Let's break down my post and please point out all components you consider idiocy:

(1) No, silly, laws are written for the landlords who donate to political campaigns.

(2a) Landlords don't have to care,

(2b) tenants have no right under law to know whether their neighbors are felons.

Is (1) false, inaccurate or idiocy?

Is (2a) false, inaccurate, or idiocy?

Is (2b) false, inaccurate, or idiocy?

Old 10-02-2014, 09:35 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
The Politics Forum is that way ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>

Old 10-02-2014, 10:08 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Holy ******* ****. Like I've got 100 neighbors, exactly how am I supposed to look them up?

What an astonishingly stupid assertion.
So does a homeowner. Why should tenants be told, but everyone else needs to do the work themself?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:11 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Let's break down my post and please point out all components you consider idiocy:

(1) No, silly, laws are written for the landlords who donate to political campaigns.

(2a) Landlords don't have to care,

(2b) tenants have no right under law to know whether their neighbors are felons.

Is (1) false, inaccurate or idiocy?

Is (2a) false, inaccurate, or idiocy?

Is (2b) false, inaccurate, or idiocy?
I'll bite:

1. Laws are written for all citizens, not just landlords. Citizens who also donate. I'd call this a FAIL.

2a. Landlords don't have to care, but neither do tenants or anyone else. Another FAIL.

2b. You are correct that they don't have to be notified, but neither do folks that buy a home. And tenants DO have a right to know, as do homeowners. They all just have to get that info themselves. Another FAIL.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So does a homeowner. Why should tenants be told, but everyone else needs to do the work themself?

Everyone should have the right to know where the felons in their neighborhood live.

But this issue is more relevant to renters than to owners, because (a) Americans are to a large extent segregated economically and by housing tenure (largely by design e.g. zoning), (b) felons have much lower median income and much lower homeownership rates (hence much higher rentership rates) than non-felons, hence (c) renters are much more likely than homeowners to have felon neighbors.

I am truly astonished that so few people - even those on CD - can figure out these things.

Last edited by freemkt; 10-02-2014 at 10:46 AM..

Old 10-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'll bite:

1. Laws are written for all citizens, not just landlords. Citizens who also donate. I'd call this a FAIL.

2a. Landlords don't have to care, but neither do tenants or anyone else. Another FAIL.

2b. You are correct that they don't have to be notified, but neither do folks that buy a home. And tenants DO have a right to know, as do homeowners. They all just have to get that info themselves. Another FAIL.

Be intellectually honest. Do you seriously believe laws are written for all citizens and not for special interests including those which give large sums of money to political campaigns?

Do you believe the thousands of paid lobbyists in Washington are just a waste of money and hot air?

In 1988, Detroit voters qualified a rent control initiative for the November ballot. Landlords went directly to the legislature which passed a statewide prohibition on rent control. Do you seriously think renters contribute any significant cash to political campaigns? Do you seriously doubt that landlords contribute at least 100 times more cash than renters?

Tenants don't have to care how many felons live near them??? Are you really serious? (Do you not have children?)

PLEASE explain exactly how tenants would get that information. Let's say I have a friend who just moved into a 100-unit apartment building. How might either of us get the relevant information - information that landlords are presumed to already have?

Let me use an example from TV, specifically from The First 48. There's a murder suspect with the street name Booby. There isn't a database available to me that will provide the information I seek.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
Quote:
Everyone should have the right to know where the felons in their neighborhood live.

But this issue is more relevant to renters than to owners, because (a) Americans are to a large extent segregated economically and by housing tenure, (b) felons have much lower median income and much lower homeownership rates (hence much higher rentership rates) than non-felons, hence (c) renters are much more likely than homeowners to have felon neighbors.

I am truly astonished that so few people - even those on CD - can't figure out these things.
As an employee of a property manager who has about 170 rentals, at least 75% of which are in nicer areas of town, the sort of place I'd live (in fact, 4 of them are my neighbors), and the other 25% not in "bad" areas, all either houses, townhouses, or duplexes, I can tell you this just isn't true in many places.

Yes, there are absolutely low income neighborhoods where there are more likely to be felons, and those neighborhoods are more likely to have more tenants, but most tenants across the country, who don't live in an apartment complex, live right alongside you and me. We have rental properties that vary from $600 a month to $2200 a month. Many of my tenants live in houses nicer than mine. Definitely more than 50% (I would guess closer to 75%) of my tenants pay more in rent a month than my mortgage costs.

So I agree with your premise that low income neighborhoods are more likely to have both more felons and more tenants, but not with your premise that most renters live in low income areas.

Besides, where do you draw the line? Do you make only apartment complexes disclose? If you make all landlords disclose felon neighbors, I'm going to have to research hundreds of homeowners in proximity to my rentals to determine if any of them are felons before I can put a renter in a house, and that is an unreasonable burden. It is illegal for me to run background checks on neighbors of my properties to find out whether they are felons. Those people do not rent from me.

The logistics of a policy like this are just unreasonable, ignoring everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting