Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2014, 11:11 PM

2 posts, read 7,798 times

Advertisements

Living at same apartment complex for 10 years ( second floor) peaceful, until the neighbors from hell arrived about 3 months ago. Hmm, where to start, the stench of Indian food permeates my apartment, including the cigarette, pot, whatever else they smoke lingers in my apartment. The constant slamming of doors, pounding on the kitchen counters , who " cooks " at 11pm or 12am at night ? Maybe they are not cooking food, probably drugs. Decent human beings would not even think of this rude , stupid behavior. Heavy (foot) stomping from every room day & night. Constantly running the exhaust fans in kitchen & bathroom. The woman who is shacking up a dude has the most annoying nails on a chalkboard voice. Loud, prolonged cell phone conversations on the balcony late evening & after 12am !?! I have emailed in on-site manager who could care less. Called the police & of course the bastards moved their party elsewhere. Running up & down the back stairs to leave the building ( they must of thought their Visa had expired) . Unfornately my lease renewal is "conveniently " missing a noise clause. Move you say, easier said than done. Costs lots of $$$, plus need to research new apartments so I don't have this nightmare happen again.

Here are a few tips I have tried, without any results to stop their rude, inconsiderate behavior : setting an alarm clock in several locations to go off a different times of the day. If these turds are druggies hopefully the noise will freak them out. Bouncing a tennis ball on the ceiling. Blowing an air horn directly into the kitchen exhaust vent about 4:30am ( that is when I get up to get ready for work) .

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2014, 11:15 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
You cant guarantee silent neighbors no matter where you live- apartment or house. There also isnt much more you can do. Youve tried the police and the LL, what exactly do you want them to do? Theyll likely tell them to quiet down and they might for a bit and then go right back. Is anyone else bothered by it? Maybe they are complaining about you bouncing balls, etc and thats why the LL doesnt care.

Really, what they are doing isnt against rules. You cant do anything for smells or loud voices.

Old 10-13-2014, 03:00 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybrenter View Post
Living at same apartment complex for 10 years ( second floor) peaceful, until the neighbors from hell arrived about 3 months ago. Hmm, where to start, the stench of Indian food permeates my apartment, including the cigarette, pot, whatever else they smoke lingers in my apartment. The constant slamming of doors, pounding on the kitchen counters , who " cooks " at 11pm or 12am at night ? Maybe they are not cooking food, probably drugs. Decent human beings would not even think of this rude , stupid behavior. Heavy (foot) stomping from every room day & night. Constantly running the exhaust fans in kitchen & bathroom. The woman who is shacking up a dude has the most annoying nails on a chalkboard voice. Loud, prolonged cell phone conversations on the balcony late evening & after 12am !?! I have emailed in on-site manager who could care less. Called the police & of course the bastards moved their party elsewhere. Running up & down the back stairs to leave the building ( they must of thought their Visa had expired) . Unfornately my lease renewal is "conveniently " missing a noise clause. Move you say, easier said than done. Costs lots of $$$, plus need to research new apartments so I don't have this nightmare happen again.

Here are a few tips I have tried, without any results to stop their rude, inconsiderate behavior : setting an alarm clock in several locations to go off a different times of the day. If these turds are druggies hopefully the noise will freak them out. Bouncing a tennis ball on the ceiling. Blowing an air horn directly into the kitchen exhaust vent about 4:30am ( that is when I get up to get ready for work) .

Any other suggestions or thoughts would be most appreciated.
First of all most of the noise you're hearing is daily living noise; the only nuisance noise I'm seeing is the person on the balcony late at night. That's the only thing you can complain about and the police really won't do anything about that. Have you said anything to the neighbor while they're on the balcony? They may not realize how much their voice carries.

If you can hear their exhaust fans in the bathroom and kitchen then you live in a poorly insulated building and should blame the developer and not the neighbor. I bet they hear you too, but don't complain because they understand that living in an apartment isn't always dead silent and you will hear people going about their business.

I'm not saying your situation isn't annoying, but it is what it is when you live in an apartment building. Focus on the one thing you can stop, the yakking on the balcony at midnight, and stop with your passive aggressive tactics...they just might backfire.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
That's apartment living. When I lived in an apartment building the guy upstairs would chop food and cook at midnight, neighbors would smoke pot right outside my windows, they would party, howl at the moon, bang on drums, and their dogs would run wild. The manager is a drug addict and would cuss me out if I complained. Police wouldn't do anything because it was considered "private property". The complex owner could care less. Luckily I found a house in the country and moved. I think, to avoid inconsiderate neighbors, that's what you have to do these days.

Good luck.

Old 10-13-2014, 12:35 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeybrenter View Post
Here are a few tips I have tried, without any results to stop their rude, inconsiderate behavior : setting an alarm clock in several locations to go off a different times of the day. If these turds are druggies hopefully the noise will freak them out. Bouncing a tennis ball on the ceiling. Blowing an air horn directly into the kitchen exhaust vent about 4:30am ( that is when I get up to get ready for work)
Just in case you don't realize it... you sound like the crazy person in this exchange. I feel sorry about your neighbors who have to put up with such a mentally unstable person.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:43 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
With the things you are doing, it seems the noise complaints could be mutual. Did you even try to go talk to them?

Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
When I worked evening I Cooked at midnite!! Why do u worry about what they eating? Maybe they don't like what you eat... Seems to me your the neighbor from Hell Not the other people! Air hors at 4 am indeed! And complain about the oders yet when they have fans on YOU still complain!

Old 10-21-2014, 03:30 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I hate rude & inconsiderate neighbors.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:46 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Joeybrentner reading your OP, I would say that it would definitely help you to stop the imaginations of what they are doing at 11:00 at night, and the reason for their running (away from the visa payment) and that will help you somewhat. You wont freak out as much when your mind is imagining the worst.

I don't know what else to say except get a grip on at least your imagination, which might help your stress to be less. Then when you are calm, think about a way to deal with each annoyance. one by one.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:53 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
I cannot believe your neighbors cook!! And at a time that isn't convenient!! And they use the exhaust fan! Crazy I tell you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting