Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,979,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
Yea mine tend to fall out in the middle of the night..but by then, they have usually quieted down a lot. I should that I need to use a combo of a white noise machine/ear plugs to really be able to sleep. Awful huh?

Luckily I'm moving out in a month!

They shouldn't be falling out make sure you read the directions on how to put them in right. I know you have to make them very thin and then put them in your ears. Then the ear plugs will go back to their regular size once they are in your ears
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 12:37 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,494,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
They shouldn't be falling out make sure you read the directions on how to put them in right. I know you have to make them very thin and then put them in your ears. Then the ear plugs will go back to their regular size once they are in your ears
Yea, I put them in correctly but I move around a lot in my sleep and sometimes one falls out. No biggie.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 21,461 times
didn't realize that this thread has continued, but to respond to above comments, here goes:
1) earplugs not satisfactory for the low frequency vibrations in this situation.
2) Upstairs tenants don't seem to care at all about resolving the matter, and refuse to add carpets. Unfortunately, they also can't be re-trained to walk lightly.
3) No day-care center.
4) Cost of injected foam not prohibitive (if I only knew if it would work well enough).
5) It's my wife who's particularly sensitive to the noise (especially when the parents walk around at 2AM caring for the kids(?).
6) At 70 years of age, we're not really anxious to go moving anywhere further than the top floor, and even that's an enterprise.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:45 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,657,286 times
[quote=atlantis43;37115923 ... At 70 years of age, we're not really anxious to go moving anywhere further than the top floor, and even that's an enterprise.[/QUOTE]

Moving whatever one's age is a chore but if no resolution is forthcoming it may be your only choice.

Old 11-02-2014, 02:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,466,159 times
OP, I feel for you. Unfortunately, in my experience, a stomping upstairs neighbor will be "felt" more than heard, and I don't know of any way around that. It's more a vibration than a sound, if that makes sense.

Can you wait them out until they move? How big is this family, and how big is the apartment? And what's the normal turnover rate? Are they likely to be gone at the end of their lease?

If not, I highly suggest you talk to the management about moving to a top floor apartment when one becomes available.

I lived for 8 years under a guy who had no children, but he paced constantly, and we both worked from home. It was awful. I was a resident apartment manager, and the owner wouldn't let me kick him out LOL! I had to stay in that apartment, as it was the "manager's" apartment. It was hell for 8 years.

I now live in a senior apt bldg, and I do have a neighbor above me, but I rarely hear him. So, if you need to be on a bottom floor, you might want to consider moving into a senior apt bldg, if you do end up moving.

I feel for you. I had a huge industrial size floor fan that I used for white noise. I hate earplugs, LOL. I watched TV/Movies with headphones, and I could still feel the vibration of him pacing back and forth with a heavy foot.

I sense a move in your near future.

Old 11-02-2014, 05:54 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
OP, I feel for you. Unfortunately, in my experience, a stomping upstairs neighbor will be "felt" more than heard, and I don't know of any way around that. It's more a vibration than a sound, if that makes sense.

Can you wait them out until they move? How big is this family, and how big is the apartment? And what's the normal turnover rate? Are they likely to be gone at the end of their lease?

If not, I highly suggest you talk to the management about moving to a top floor apartment when one becomes available.

I lived for 8 years under a guy who had no children, but he paced constantly, and we both worked from home. It was awful. I was a resident apartment manager, and the owner wouldn't let me kick him out LOL! I had to stay in that apartment, as it was the "manager's" apartment. It was hell for 8 years.

I now live in a senior apt bldg, and I do have a neighbor above me, but I rarely hear him. So, if you need to be on a bottom floor, you might want to consider moving into a senior apt bldg, if you do end up moving.

I feel for you. I had a huge industrial size floor fan that I used for white noise. I hate earplugs, LOL. I watched TV/Movies with headphones, and I could still feel the vibration of him pacing back and forth with a heavy foot.

I sense a move in your near future.
why do you hate ear plugs? They have been so effective for me in the past 4 months.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
why do you hate ear plugs? They have been so effective for me in the past 4 months.
Let me count the ways, LOL. I don't like how they feel in my ears, and I feel like I'm underwater, and can sometimes hear my own heartbeat, for starters. I also have a fear that I won't hear something I should hear. Plus, they don't help with the vibration of someone stomping around.

I prefer the white noise of a fan.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:31 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Let me count the ways, LOL. I don't like how they feel in my ears, and I feel like I'm underwater, and can sometimes hear my own heartbeat, for starters. I also have a fear that I won't hear something I should hear. Plus, they don't help with the vibration of someone stomping around.

I prefer the white noise of a fan.

I will say that I don't hear the alarm right away because of the ear plugs but I like the fact that cancels out all the noise from above. And yes it has that underwater feel to it which is why I like it because the walking above stopped waking me up at night.

Old 11-02-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
I will say that I don't hear the alarm right away because of the ear plugs but I like the fact that cancels out all the noise from above. And yes it has that underwater feel to it which is why I like it because the walking above stopped waking me up at night.
Sounds like heaven. I'm glad they work for you. I'm so happy to have a quiet upstairs neighbor now. My main noise issue now is from the street outside. Lots of loud drunks and crazy homeless people downtown here at night. And for some reason, they all have to YELL.

Fortunately, my fan drowns them out most of the time.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 67,575 times
My advice is to move to the top floor, if you can. I know moving is a total pain and you might have to trek it up some stairs and pay more in rent, but it is sooooo worth it. Never hearing anything above you is truly worth it. Although, depending on the building construction, you might still hear things below you or next to you, but at least not above you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting