Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
So you expect total silence while living in a multi level, multi unit building? You need to lower your expectations a bit. Unless you're neighbors are breaking the law or violating the lease, complaining to your landlord over and over and over about daily living noise isn't going to do any good. You will be labeled a complainer and they will get rid of you as soon as they can. You're considered a high maintenance tenant and no landlord wants a high maintenance tenant.

What you two dont' seem to understand is that if you can hear your neighbors, they can hear you. They just get the concept that there's a certain level of noise expected when living in an apt and aren't whining to the landlord every time they hear you open your door, run your shower, flush your toilet, open and close your windows, walk across the floor, open and close cupboards, watching tv (language doesn't matter ) and anything you've complained about in this thread.

LOL this is so true. I have learned that the heard way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 07:43 AM

104 posts, read 144,458 times
Default Don't forget............

The symphony of alarms! my ex neighbors had 3 set to go off at various times and still did not wake up till they were going off 45 minutes I was go glad to see them move.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:41 PM

612 posts, read 843,224 times
I'm going through the same pains as you are OP, as far as sound. The apartments I live in are comprised of wood as well, and the insulation's not so hot. It's a cheap/cheaper set-up, three-story buildings, with the doors facing each other, with the stairwell directly in front of the doors, so not much privacy coming and going if you live on the 2nd, and especially 3rd floors. Anyways, the couple below me slam their outside door shut, inside doors, slaming things around, one of them slams the toilet seat shut, I can even hear I guess chopping food in the kitchen, and I can hear/feel them stomping around. It can be heard both ways when one's in the shower, or when the water/toilet's being used, or at least I can.

Just last week either they were playing or it was violence, but I heard and felt a slamming against the wall. The thing that really got me though, was that I heard one of them/both of them listening to me on the phone in the bedroom once. I know I was being listened to because as soon as I got off the phone, I heard movement below me, as if they were standing on their bed, leaning up against the wall. I'm not sure if they could even make out the words I was saying, but I do wonder since they listened through the whole conversation. Although I will say that I don't hear yawning or flatulence, that's pretty bad. Only place I'd hear that is maybe in the bathroom, and since I caught them listening to me on the phone, I'm more conscious, I do things like turning the fan on in the bathroom, and other noises (TV, fans) to placate possible silence on both ends. I've learned my lesson as well, bricks and/or concrete from now on!

Old 12-04-2014, 06:54 PM

612 posts, read 843,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Interestingly enough, he said he could hear my TV very clearly from above me. So, I listened to my TV with headphones so I didn't bother him.
No, you did this for your own privacy, to reduce any possibility of him minding your business. You could've easily turned the volume down, doing this tells me it was more about not wanting him to hear your TV and what you watched, than not wanting to bother him.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:04 PM

3 posts, read 26,512 times
The other day I heard my upstairs neighbor peeing, then flush the toilet. I was in the bedroom, and I asked my boyfriend if he just used the bathroom because it sounded like it came from INSIDE the apartment. I know the soundproofing sucks here, but hearing someone pee surely meant they hear me fart loud.
At my old run down studio apartment, I used to hear the guy next door snoring and yawning, but he did both loudly...

Old 12-05-2014, 02:31 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times
I live on the 2nd floor of a 3-story apt, so I'm in the middle. I've NEVER heard voices/talking, coughing/sneezing, laughing, or the TV/music. Only heard the following from just really the apt ABOVE me:

- occasional footsteps if loud/hard enough
- maybe a larger/heavier sized dog running around
- washing machine running

I try my best to be quiet & considerate of people around me. At times, things can get a little loud on my end since no one can be perfectly quiet all the time.

Old 12-05-2014, 07:29 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,496,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I live on the 2nd floor of a 3-story apt, so I'm in the middle. I've NEVER heard voices/talking, coughing/sneezing, laughing, or the TV/music. Only heard the following from just really the apt ABOVE me:

- occasional footsteps if loud/hard enough
- maybe a larger/heavier sized dog running around
- washing machine running

I try my best to be quiet & considerate of people around me. At times, things can get a little loud on my end since no one can be perfectly quiet all the time.
You must live in a concrete building, those are usually pretty solid....but not completely silent, of course. I am in one now as well, and I do hear things but nothing like my last awful place, where I could hear the people upstairs do everything, including their cat walking around!

Old 12-06-2014, 12:12 AM

10 posts, read 52,930 times
All these sounds are normally heard in any apartment. Some more sounds are heard like fan, falling something on floor etc.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:06 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,670,053 times
What noises can I hear? Whatever the dumb guy upstairs does, since he is an idiot, doing anything excessively. He's always slamming his windows open and closed repeatedly within minutes, and it's cold weather. Nothing needs to be done with unwarranted force.

(It was not clear if this was supposed to be what is heard outdoors or from a neighboring unit?) I don't care about outdoor noise, stuff happens.. traffic, helicopters, sirens, being brief. If you can hear a dog barking a long while, I only feel angry at the owner for leaving their poor dog for too long. And if there were construction somewhere, well, I accept that it is going on for a time.

It's the immediate, sudden BANGS and THUDS that strike or shake my ceiling or a too-loud stereo / TV due to the ongoing thoughtlessness of some individuals that is disruptive, not normal living sounds. Once again, I will say it comes down to a particular type, since there are others who live peacefully and will not make excessive, disruptive racket, being different from everyday sounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting