Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:16 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times

Advertisements

Old 3 story wood frame home. Basement apartment that is half under ground.

I hear the dog above me barking. Usually when I am trying to sleep. He has separation anxiety issues.
I hear my upstairs neighbor sometimes walking aorund when he still has his work boots on.
Very occasionally I hear the basset hounds on the third floor woof.
Water runing through the pipes. Neighbor seems to have a knack for flushing the toilet right when I get in the shower which reduces the flow of cold water.
And the fellow on the second floor likes to practice on the piano in the early afternoon/evening. Which I actually enjoy.

I don't hear much noise from outdoors unless there is very loud thunder or an emergency vehicle going by snd I don't hear conversations or other vocalizations unless the dog upstairs pooped on the floor or something, and is being yelled at.

All of this is jsut a part of apartment living. Sometimes it is irritationg but mosty I just ignore it. For the most part my neighbors and I live very peacefully together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 03:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
A cottage, partially poured concrete and partially wood frame. Between the parakeets chattering, the anis crying mournfully, the hawks screeching, the flycatchers twittering and the ground doves cooing during the day and then with nightfall bringing out the incessantly chirruping tree frogs and the noisy crickets, it's total bedlam. Just sayin'.

Old 11-06-2014, 11:28 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
A cottage, partially poured concrete and partially wood frame. Between the parakeets chattering, the anis crying mournfully, the hawks screeching, the flycatchers twittering and the ground doves cooing during the day and then with nightfall bringing out the incessantly chirruping tree frogs and the noisy crickets, it's total bedlam. Just sayin'.
I'm jealous of your tree frogs! The fig and macadamia trees outside are full of birds constantly singing and one neighbor constantly complains about it. The rest of us adore them. No accounting for some folks, I guess.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
I'm jealous of your tree frogs! The fig and macadamia trees outside are full of birds constantly singing and one neighbor constantly complains about it. The rest of us adore them. No accounting for some folks, I guess.
Next time your neighbor complains, put a big smile on your face and tell her about the craigslist ad you just saw for a place that would suit her so much better - a lovely spot in a downtown high-rise right off the freeway and next to the railroad tracks ...

Old 11-08-2014, 01:07 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,993 times
It's rare that we hear anything in the apartment.....you do hear things in the hallway if you are standing somewhat near the frount hallway door.....and that is only an issue with the one neighbors with the horrible young children and the small dog that refuse to keep quiet in the hallway.....but it's not that bad even with them.

On rare occasions I will hear a random 'thing' upstairs (we have two story units)...voice, music.....but it's rare, never more than once and short lived.....and it's sort of funny to be honest. I think the walls on the upper floor are a bit thinner than the main living area....the other morning I heard a female voice say "Get back to bed, it's raining'......but that was it....lol. Thing is...it wasn't raining at the time!

Our building is a bit odd...it was build as being ground floor businesses (most are empty but there are two) and second floor of single floor apartments and the third (fourth) floor being two floor units with large roof decks. Some were sold as condos....but most are rented. Construction is concrete for the most part.

I LOVE how quiet and private they are.

Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Next time your neighbor complains, put a big smile on your face and tell her about the craigslist ad you just saw for a place that would suit her so much better - a lovely spot in a downtown high-rise right off the freeway and next to the railroad tracks ...
What? It's not like she's annoying or inconveniencing anyone else or anything. We just think it's funny that they bother her so much... We're all friends here and I can't see any reason to be snotty like that!

Old 11-09-2014, 03:05 AM

^^^ A little levity escapes you?

Old 11-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
^^^ A little levity escapes you?
Apparently. There's no body language or vocal inflection on the internet, after all, so it's often helpful to include a smiley or something to indicate that your words are meant to be taken at something different than face value

Old 11-09-2014, 09:39 AM

My apologies. I'll be sure next time to include as many emoticons as possible in order to ensure that the point is completely understood and no possible mistake can be made as to intent or meaning.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:59 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
- normal conversation outside has easily discernible words Yes, if my windows are open
- feral cats and birds outside No cats, but birds yes
- nails being pounded into walls for hanging pictures Hardly ever
- almost any music with bass in it Used to until I mentioned to my neighbor and he turned down the bass, don't hear it anymore
- rain on roof, thunder and high winds Yes

Only hear vehicles/motorcyles going by if my windows are open
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting