Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2015, 07:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times

Advertisements

I would be tempted to give a completely honest, glowing recomendation.

CrazyTenant is the most safety conscious tenant I have ever had, and shows a rare concern for maintenance. Shortly after she moved in she was on a first name basis with all of my contractors and had their office numbers on speed dial.

With her assistance, and the assistance of the regulatory agents she called for consultations, I found out more about gas shut offs, water supplies, fans, electric components and how they theoretically should work than I had imagined possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 07:23 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,567 times
I actually LOLed at that!

Old 02-20-2015, 04:59 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Unless she is a credible threat to the safety of you and/or your family, you are unlikely to get a restraining order. Y

You may want to video any future encounters.

Continue to redirect her to your attorney. Clear, consistent boundaries are your best bet.

As to references. FishBrains suggestions are a hoot. However, I would encourage you to stick with dates and even then you may want to require a signed release from her to disclose information.

I'm having a hard time imagining this woman doing a decent job of parenting her three children.I suspect her children are getting some version of the behavior you're seeing--delusional accusations, etc.

Is she employed?

Old 02-20-2015, 11:50 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,393,886 times
Yes, as soon as I set boundaries i.e. certified letters, using a property manager, etc, she goes ballistic since it ruins her ability to engage and potentially entrap me directly, the ultimate object of her schemes.

She was employed last I checked but have no way of knowing. He history is pretty uneven, not surprisingly. No long-term gigs overall.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:44 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,155,750 times
You could be describing someone I know to a T (the only reason I know it's not her is that she's owned/lived in her own home for many decades). It probably sounds pretty unbelievable to some, but people like this really do exist. I pity her children.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:37 PM

10,352 posts, read 7,984,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
I pity her children.
So do I. And I also pity her (even though she's making the OP's life hell). It can't be fun to go through life so fearful and paranoid. She'll spend the rest of her days moving from one perfectly nice house to another perfectly nice house in a futile search for a "safety" that doesn't exist.

Old 02-21-2015, 03:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,236,547 times
If I ever even once, in a moment of weakness, think being a landlord is a good idea, please refer me back to this thread.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:37 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,210,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If I ever even once, in a moment of weakness, think being a landlord is a good idea, please refer me back to this thread.

Shrugs, it all depends. Passively gaining equity is sometimes a good idea. There are crazy azzed people in many parts of society. At least with a landlord tenant relationship you can evict/terminate.

Good thing its not a co worker....

Old 02-23-2015, 11:56 PM

268 posts, read 357,529 times
Hello to all, i am the crazy tenant OP is talking about

Just kidding. So anyway, this has been a crazy read, better than Netflix, but i do feel for you.

Please tell us what you would have done different if anything during the application process? Where there any signs?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:26 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
I wonder if calling past landlords and meeting several times with a prospective tenant would have revealed some of these issues.

I know that in hiring, if a potential employee badmouths the previous employer, that is never a good sign. Also, if the previous employer gives a terse reference, not a good sign.

We once rented to a German engineer who was vetted by our property management company. The man was a nightmare. Moved his daughter, her boyfriend, and their kids in. Left the place a wreck. He sounded good on the surface, but wonder if we had taken the time to go through the house with him and talk with him a few times, if it would have become clear that he was looking for a place for a whole family, not just him.

Also, if we had called his previous landlord, we might have gotten a hint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting