Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 07:54 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times

Advertisements

Is sharing a house with roommates still considered the way to get a great place in the city for low $$$?

I'm amazed at the number of young people who are living at home in their 20s. They seem so miserable. It doesn't matter if you're in the city or the country, in the north or the south--after about age 18 you want to be on your own.

Like most kids, I hated where my parents lived, too. I couldn't wait to get out of Liberty City (part of the city of Miami--not the greatest neighborhood). Anyway, I took off at 17 but it wasn't that hard because back then everyone was getting together with 8-10 other people and renting houses. We'd have 2 people per bedroom. (Sometimes romantic entanglements would crop up, and we'd have to switch bedrooms!)

I thought it was a great way to live--a great way to make friends, and there was always something interesting going on and people to do things with. Everything was relatively communal, so you didn't need to own a couch or tv, etc. You could live really cheaply. But when I suggest this plan to my nephew they look at me like I'm crazy (or quaint, which is almost as bad).

Do people do this anymore? Because having a bunch of roommates in a cool house in the city sure seems more fun that living with your parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
More people are doing it again because the cost of living has gotten so crazy.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,732,811 times
Default The good and the bad...

The good news is you can save money. The bad news is at what cost.
Sometimes friendships can be ruined. It's not easy living with other
people. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:14 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,399,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
The good news is you can save money. The bad news is at what cost.
Sometimes friendships can be ruined. It's not easy living with other
people. I wish you the best of luck.
You just learn to get along with people, put up with them and accept their limitations.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:26 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
From my experience, being around the age that most people would do such a thing, it's not very common anymore. I however like the sound of it for the very same reasons normie posted and wouldn't rule out doing it in the future.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:59 AM

22 posts, read 79,017 times
I don't know, both sides have good points. This Southern girl always thought her and a bunch of her friends would rent an awesome apartment in NYC as soon as they graduated. Different route: I ended up marrying my "senior year" boyfriend, then he joined the Navy (which resulted in me giving up a scholarship, but that's a whole other story). We ended up in Norfolk, VA and we were an hour into house hunting when I said "I want to go home!" What with me being a newlywed to a jerk and being away from home, I realized that I liked my space.

When we separated I had several "roomie" offers but kept making excuses as to not take them up on it. Once, I finally got through to one of my best friends to end a long, abusive relationship. And because I didn't want her to have any more excuses to stay, I let her stay with me for a few months. I love the girl to death, and we've had a solid friendship since we were 8-years-old, but us rooming together brought out a lot of aggravation...probably more on my part. Though I know it wasn't intentional, I felt as though she had no respect of my belongings. I still remember getting aggravated at her using a metal spatula on my non-stick cookware...which was more of a memory of a continuous argument in my kitchen when I was married. But living together put a strain on our relationship. I'm also an neat-freak so I had issues there too. I think what the problem was, was that I was more grounded focusing on my future -- I played house for a little bit and now I was focusing on being a single mom and going to college. She, on the other hand, was more of the hyper-partier, 6x engaged, living in the moment. We learned that we work as friends, just not when we're living under one roof.

I think for many high school graduates/college students who want to be out on their own should opt to get several together and rent. But it's one of those things where you have to be selective. If the personalities don't "mesh" well, then there can be a lot of conflict of people feeling others aren't pulling their weight. But definitely, if you're still in your 20s living at home (unless you're still living there for the purpose of getting through school) then it might not be such a bad idea to look into renting with some buddies. One thing I've seen though, is that male/male roommates seem to work better than female/female roommates. I currently live in my hometown of Jacksonville, NC -- home of Camp Lejeune -- and it's very common to see 3-4 or more Marines living in a house together. Then I've seen a few female friendships get ruined (almost like mine almost did). Now female/male...umm, I would say that's a tricky one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting