Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times

Advertisements

That's the reality of being a tenant - you can receive notice that you have to move out per the terms of your lease. Conversely, you aren't forced to live there and can decide to move, buy your own place, and give your own notice to the landlord.

I'm actually surprised that so many people think the tenant's wants and needs should trump a family member's needs. As I mentioned before, this is assuming the OP's rental of the place will be long term. I don't think it's logical to take it over from the tenant if it's only for a few months, or even a year. But if the OP is going to be staying there indefinitely, why not have the benefit on both sides of this arrangement? In my book, blood is thicker than water, and my family's needs would come first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 12:15 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
In my book, blood is thicker than water, and my family's needs would come first.
For that exact reason, these adults should go find their own place, so they're not screwing the parents out of a great tenant.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:29 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
That's the reality of being a tenant - you can receive notice that you have to move out per the terms of your lease. Conversely, you aren't forced to live there and can decide to move, buy your own place, and give your own notice to the landlord.

I'm actually surprised that so many people think the tenant's wants and needs should trump a family member's needs. As I mentioned before, this is assuming the OP's rental of the place will be long term. I don't think it's logical to take it over from the tenant if it's only for a few months, or even a year. But if the OP is going to be staying there indefinitely, why not have the benefit on both sides of this arrangement? In my book, blood is thicker than water, and my family's needs would come first.
and in my book your adult children should act like adults and pay their own way. Yes, family does come first but it doesn't sound like they are in 'dire straits'....they are looking for the easy way

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-12-2014 at 09:12 PM..

Old 11-12-2014, 12:45 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
1. That's the reality of being a tenant - you can receive notice that you have to move out per the terms of your lease.

2. As I mentioned before, this is assuming the OP's rental of the place will be long term.

3. I'm actually surprised that so many people think the tenant's wants and needs should trump a family member's needs.
1. There has been no dispute on that score.

2. Exactly - an assumption which you have made. Present tenants have been there 4 years with no indication that they're anything but good tenants. They even have an option to purchase written into their lease. Parents are apparently going through "a hard time" for whatever reason - but the bottom line is that they have stable good tenants providing an income. If the "hard time" passes and the daughter and her husband no longer need to be there, maybe they too will decide to move on. Parents will have to find new tenants.

3. I'm actually surprised you can't see the flip side that everyone else seems to recognize and be concerned about. It's way less about the tenants than the parents.

Old 11-12-2014, 12:52 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Keep in mind, if you are temporarily living with your parents in their current home, they likely will be trying anything to get you to move out asap. That might be why they mentioned the rental home. They probably are under a lot of stress with having adult children invading their home at the present time and are wanting their personal space back.

Why can't you just find another rental home? Is another home too expensive for the rent or are there credit issues or income issues that will prevent you from getting a different rental home that's not owned by your parents?

What is so special about your parents' rental home that can't be matched by a similar rental home?

Old 11-12-2014, 08:08 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
Just venting...

My folks own a rental house. Their tenants have been there for 4+ years. First year was a lease...been month-to-month since then. There is a clause in the lease that gives the tenants first option to buy if my folk's decide to put the house on the market (that might also be a state regulation, but that doesn't pertain to this anyway).

In another couple months, my husband and I will be looking to rent a place (just moved back to the state and are temporarily living at my parent's house). The idea of renting from them came up. My mom is under the impression that she only has 2 options with the current renters: 1. Tell them she is putting the house on the market and have them try and secure the funds to purchase it (as stated in the lease that expired 3 years ago). She is sure they can't get funding and will then have to move out, and we could move in. 2. Evict them.

Maybe I've been hanging around here too much ...but even I know that the obvious other option is to give them a 30 day notice to vacate. Pretty simple really. We moved on to talking about different things, but I may have to educate my mom on how to nicely tell tenants that they need to move.
What I see here is an OP who came to the renter's forum with a simple question about how to give a tenant notice in WA state. I'm not seeing anything here about asking for counseling or advice about her personal life or that of her parents, or who deserves to live in her parents' house the most.

Uh hem. To answer your question OP:

As Captain Ron so eloquently and legally put it, with actual quotes and links to the actual WA state law: Yes, your Mom can give them notice to move, and you can move in.

On a personal note - - Good on you for helping your folks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabinerose View Post
...We moved back home to help out mom and dad during a hard time. ...

Old 11-13-2014, 11:33 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
What I see here is an OP who came to the renter's forum with a simple question about how to give a tenant notice in WA state. I'm not seeing anything here about asking for counseling or advice about her personal life or that of her parents, or who deserves to live in her parents' house the most.

Uh hem. To answer your question OP:

As Captain Ron so eloquently and legally put it, with actual quotes and links to the actual WA state law: Yes, your Mom can give them notice to move, and you can move in.

On a personal note - - Good on you for helping your folks.
Would have repped you, but I've got to spread the love around first .

So many assumptions are being made based on my simple first post. You are right NoMore...I just wanted to verify what I already knew about giving notice to month-to-month renters (and voice some frustration that my mom didn't seem to already know how to do this).

I never did say anything about mine or my parents personal lives...how they feel about us being here, what we are all going through right now, how bad or good their current renters are, etc... so many people read wwaaayyy too far into a tiny bit of information.

Thanks for not getting sucked into the debate about my personal choices and helping steer folks back to the original posting.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
HUD wont let family rent from family.. For good reason ALWAYS leads to trouble. Its also harder to remove family. They get unemployed they expect family to let them be there for free! I think Twice before removing a GOOD tenant for family!

Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
My first impression - the OP is heartless and decides that she wants the apartment and now the current tenants should move. I think that is just heartless.

But if renting/leasing is a business, i guess thats what happens when you rent month to month.

Now, this makes me think about the current tenants, they have to all of a sudden get some money to pay for their moving costs, boxes, packing, unpacking at the new place. what if they are not ready to move and dont have the money? what if they dont find another place? is the OP going to insist on they move out?

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 11-16-2014 at 10:36 AM..

Old 11-15-2014, 02:16 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
HUD wont let family rent from family.. For good reason ALWAYS leads to trouble. Its also harder to remove family. They get unemployed they expect family to let them be there for free! I think Twice before removing a GOOD tenant for family!
What does HUD have to do with this? The OP never mentioned eligibility for HUD or that the rental is HUD eligible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting