Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 02:19 AM

1 posts, read 3,627 times

Advertisements

I live in the los angeles, california and today we got a notice that says we owe the landlord rent. But we paid on the 1st of this month. He gave us 3 days to pay the rent(again) or else he is going to take legal actions. We haven't called the bank to see if they took out the money from the check we wrote them on the 1st. Is what he is doing legal. We drop the rent check in the mail box of the manager so I don't know if the manager lost the check. We see the manager of the apartment walk around the block the past 2 weeks and she hasn't said anything about us not paying rent. If the landlord has cashed in the check we wrote him then can we take legal actions against him, since he threaten to evict us.

Sorry if this is messy I'm on my phone at the moment, heading home from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artugioo View Post
I live in the los angeles, california and today we got a notice that says we owe the landlord rent. But we paid on the 1st of this month. He gave us 3 days to pay the rent(again) or else he is going to take legal actions. We haven't called the bank to see if they took out the money from the check we wrote them on the 1st. Is what he is doing legal. We drop the rent check in the mail box of the manager so I don't know if the manager lost the check. We see the manager of the apartment walk around the block the past 2 weeks and she hasn't said anything about us not paying rent. If the landlord has cashed in the check we wrote him then can we take legal actions against him, since he threaten to evict us.

Then do it. The LL is perfectly within his legal right. For whatever reason your rent wasn't received, if it wasn't received then the onus is on you. If the cheque hasn't been presented for payment, cancel it and issue another cheque and deliver it in person or send it return receipt mail. You cannot sue your LL for threatening to evict you.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artugioo View Post

Sorry but you rather write on a forum first than calling the bank?

Priorities...!

Old 11-19-2014, 05:35 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Sorry but you rather write on a forum first than calling the bank?

Priorities...!
LOL..

What is this world turning into? Rather than dealing with the source, OP decided to register and join the forum to post a question/issue that can be dealt with a phone call or a visit to the property manager.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
LOL..

What is this world turning into? Rather than dealing with the source, OP decided to register and join the forum to post a question/issue that can be dealt with a phone call or a visit to the property manager.
Unfortunately not uncommon at all here or on other forums. One question is answered essentially the same by many contributors ("talk to your landlord", "talk to the bank", etc.) and, 2 pages and 24 hours later when the repetitiveness becomes stifling, the OP returns with, "got it all sorted out". The thread meanders on for another couple of pages with the same advice offered because so many people don't read any other responses or the update - and then the thread dies a weary death. That is until a new contributor revives it a year later!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:44 AM

159 posts, read 177,350 times
This is why i always hand my monthly rent to the landlord and ask for a signed receipt that is dated. Never depend on a "dropbox"

Old 11-19-2014, 08:29 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Right now, you have no idea whether you've paid the rent or not. CALL YOUR BANK.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:51 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
You don't even have to call. If you have the ability to write in this forum on your device, you can go to the bank's website and log in to your account to see if it's cashed or not.

And from now on, I would personally HAND the check to the manager instead of dropping it off in the box outside the office.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:00 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
We have a drop box too and we never have any issues. Once we couldn't find a check and never learned where it went but we believe the check was mailed since this tenant always paid on time and never any issues whatsoever so we gave the tenant the benefit of the doubt and never charged a late fee and accepted a new check and had them cancel the check and we didn't even ask for proof of a check being cancelled since sometimes we feel we should be able to believe a tenant although it is rare if we can believe them.

But there are very good tenants but it is the minority.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:02 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Based on the time of the OP, a couple of you guys could relax a bit. Banks aren't typicalltypically open at 1am (4am either).

The check could have been misplaced. The payment credited to the wrong account. Or any other number of things. We all make mistakes from time to time even when we try extra hard to prevent them.

OP, if you come back, get a copy of your cancelled check and take it to the landlord. If you don't have a cancelled check, write a new one and explain the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting