Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:13 PM

57 posts, read 75,391 times

Advertisements

It's a good thing to do it right? Basically we have had so many headaches with this problem and last weekend it started leaking from the upper floor to our apt. It started out small and now the ceiling is all yellow and paint scraping off so much.

I wrote a notice letter to management about it because the super is slow to react and I was afraid of losing my security deposit because of something I did not do. I am right right?

I did a priority mail certified and return receipt requested. All's well but the dumb thing is it's going to be delivered tomorrow, Saturday. The office may be closed then. Does USPS redeliver it or are they going to ask them to pick it up? Jesus. If it's the latter, I wasted $13 bucks and all that time writing and taking pics for nothing.

I hate renting in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:40 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Maybe I missed something, but what exactly is "it"?

Old 11-21-2014, 03:48 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyandLazy View Post
I
1. I did a priority mail certified and return receipt requested.
2. Does USPS redeliver it or are they going to ask them to pick it up?
1. That was the correct thing to do.
2. Yes, they leave notice - three times. If it's not picked up after the 3rd notice the letter is returned to sender and stamped accordingly, and you retain it unopened in case you need it as proof that you "did the right thing".

Old 11-21-2014, 03:54 PM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Huh? What problem is the OP having? What water leak? Is it from the apartment upstairs? The roof? Background info, please.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Th thread title is, "I sent a notice to the landlord's office about the water leak from upstairs" and the "it" is the RRC letter.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I hope you also called, emailed, texted, or whatever other means you have available for contact. A leak from upstairs significant enough that it is damaging your ceiling is an emergency, in my book. I'd be ticked if a tenant sent me a letter in the mail instead of calling about that. Sending a letter AS WELL is ok, but not instead of.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 PM

57 posts, read 75,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I hope you also called, emailed, texted, or whatever other means you have available for contact. A leak from upstairs significant enough that it is damaging your ceiling is an emergency, in my book. I'd be ticked if a tenant sent me a letter in the mail instead of calling about that. Sending a letter AS WELL is ok, but not instead of.
Why ticked? The last time we had a problem and we went to management, both management and the super got upset. They would like us to speak with the super first instead of coming to them. That's why I sent the letter because I want to have evidence if they try to squeeze this on us.

Old 11-22-2014, 12:34 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,029,485 times
Quote:
Why ticked? The last time we had a problem and we went to management, both management and the super got upset. They would like us to speak with the super first instead of coming to them. That's why I sent the letter because I want to have evidence if they try to squeeze this on us.

So this time, you're not speaking with the super or calling the landlord for what is clearly an emergency situation? Because by not taking any action to let them know immediately that there's significant damage occurring and knowing they probably won't get your letter for a number of days while the damage gets worse, you're somehow covering your butt against the management getting upset? This makes no sense whatsoever.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:47 AM

1,365 posts, read 1,883,335 times
Quote:
Why ticked?
I imagine that would be because the damage is continuing to occur while your letter makes its merry little way through the postal system. What you have described is an emergency that is doing significant harm to the unit. If there was a fire in the apartment would you send a letter to the fire department informing them of that fact or would you call so they could start addressing the problem right away?

Old 11-22-2014, 04:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
because the letter can take days, a phone call take minutes. You always start with a phone call (especially for a leak) and then follow up in writing.

Call the Sup if you haven't already...a leak isn't something to mess with, they need to address that yesterday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting