Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 PM

391 posts, read 453,812 times

Advertisements

I recently signed a lease and moved to a new apt. Thing is, they now removed all the dumpsters from the apt complex and make people use their pickup trash service, which means you put out your trash can on scheduled days and times and their people come and pick up your trash. Sounds convenient, however I specifically told them before signing the lease, I am not interested in this option, as I like to throw my trash on my own schedule in whatever size trash bags I like, not the little ones you have to use for their cans. You also have to bring in these trash cans every time they pick up the trash, which is another hassle to me. When I signed the lease, this trash pickup was also there (they charged you for it, even if you don't use it), but it was optional, as you also had the dumpsters, but now it's not, since they are gone. The lease specifically says that dumpsters may be used so how can they change it like this all of a sudden in the middle of the lease? Is this even legal? I was very annoyed when I found this out, especially since I asked them prior to signing the lease, and they withheld the fact that they are removing dumpsters a few weeks later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2014, 09:13 PM

575 posts, read 1,468,698 times
I'm honestly not sure if you'd have grounds to break your lease. On one hand I lean towards yes because you said it's actually written in your lease that dumpsters are provided. On the other hand, it's not like they don't offer trash pickup period.

I know exactly what you are talking about too. My old apartment used to have that (plus dumpsters) and it was convenient not to need to trek down 3 floors to throw away a garbage bag. They gave you cloth garbage "can" to put your bags in and you couldn't fit more than two full 13 gallon bags in there, maybe three if you really tried really hard. You also had to take that smelly bag back inside between servicing. Unless it's a very small community, I don't see how they expect that to work for an apartment. How often do they come? Unless it's every other day, I'd be mad. We use one garbage bag every other day and I wouldn't want that smelly garbage sitting in my apartment until trash day...

Old 11-26-2014, 04:36 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
The lease specifically says that dumpsters may be used so how can they change it like this all of a sudden in the middle of the lease? Is this even legal?
"May" is the operative word. Your trash service hasn't been removed and you're not required to pay anything extra for the service since it's already included under your lease agreement. It may be inconvenient for you but it's perfectly legal.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:41 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
I LOVE to have this! Beats having a Roach infested Dumpster 10 ft from my apt door Plus being woke up 2 times a week at 4 am to have the trucks empty it & Then listen to the Bangs 24/7 of people throwing trash in it! Yep Bring it on!

Old 11-26-2014, 02:45 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
People have been putting their trash in cans and by the curb for years and years and years...its not a new concept. I think you'll adjust rather quickly.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
People have been putting their trash in cans and by the curb for years and years and years...its not a new concept. I think you'll adjust rather quickly.
These are regular apts, not townhomes. its not by the curb, its near my apt door next to the stairs, which I dont like either, and like I said the cans are small, not like the ones you put out at your residential home pickup

Old 11-26-2014, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
"May" is the operative word. Your trash service hasn't been removed and you're not required to pay anything extra for the service since it's already included under your lease agreement. It may be inconvenient for you but it's perfectly legal.
I just used that word
The lease actually states that residents shall bring their trash to proper bins at designated locations (they are not talking about the little containers here) They later use the word receptacles and enclosures in this same part so they mean dumpsters basically. At least for sure they dont mean the little container by your apt's door. There is another section for that. Point is, this is ****in bs.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:47 AM

6 posts, read 14,107 times
Actually they need to let you know about something like this before you sign a lease. It seems like they made a mistake, they should have notified you before you signed that they were changing their policies, to allow you the knowledge of not signing with them if it was not something you felt like you could deal with.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:10 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trysometh View Post
I just used that word
The lease actually states that residents shall bring their trash to proper bins at designated locations (they are not talking about the little containers here) They later use the word receptacles and enclosures in this same part so they mean dumpsters basically. At least for sure they dont mean the little container by your apt's door. There is another section for that. Point is, this is ****in bs.
You can paraphrase and interpret your lease clauses however you choose. The bottom line and the legal line is that trash removal is included in your rent and you have trash removal. The fact that you "don't like" the method is irrelevant.

Old 11-27-2014, 07:23 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,827,273 times
It's threads like this that keep me coming back to the rental forum.

So many topics either make me laugh out loud or shake my head in disbelief. And remind me over and over and over why I would never want to be a landlord.

And the member names are so creative! Did anybody else notice the OP's name and think "No wonder he wants to have a dumpster.".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting