Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 05:24 AM

32,484 posts, read 47,425,133 times

Advertisements

OP, if it was a bank inspection, they are only looking for structural problems: leaky roof, leaky plumbing, electrical wires exposed, working smoke detectors, fire suppression system if the building is over a specified size, that sort of thing. If your place was tidy, they can see those things at a glance.

Vaguely possible, they might be verifying how many units are rented and how many vacant. Again, that takes only a glance.

I have a suggestion for you, since you are worried about theft. Take photos of all your belongings and keep all receipts for purchases. Record all serial numbers. Keep photos and receipts in a safe place. Then if you have a theft or there is a fire, you have something to show to your insurance agent to prove that you own those items and how old they are. It will make your claim very easy. (You do have renter's insurance, right? To protect your belongings?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2014, 01:37 PM

76 posts, read 403,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, if it was a bank inspection, they are only looking for structural problems: leaky roof, leaky plumbing, electrical wires exposed, working smoke detectors, fire suppression system if the building is over a specified size, that sort of thing. If your place was tidy, they can see those things at a glance.

Vaguely possible, they might be verifying how many units are rented and how many vacant. Again, that takes only a glance.
Thanks for clarifying. Whatever their reasons, obviously I was A-OK in their mind, which is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

I have a suggestion for you, since you are worried about theft. Take photos of all your belongings and keep all receipts for purchases. Record all serial numbers. Keep photos and receipts in a safe place. Then if you have a theft or there is a fire, you have something to show to your insurance agent to prove that you own those items and how old they are. It will make your claim very easy. (You do have renter's insurance, right? To protect your belongings?)
Thanks for the advice. I have written down just about everything I own, and stored the list in a secure place offsite, but I have not taken photos of all of those items. That is a good idea. I will have to break that task up over a few weeks since I own a lot of stuff.

I wonder how in-depth I should go with taking photos of my belongings - should I photograph literally every single small thing, or should I keep it to mostly the higher value items and then generalize an estimate for all of the small inconsequential stuff? Yes, I do have renter's insurance, absolutely! And I also have a separate insurance policy from another company on some of the more specialized items that I own.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:20 PM

6 posts, read 14,179 times
I perform these lender inspections. Oregonwoodsmoke is correct. We are looking for things other than carpet stains, etc... Water intrusion, life safety issues, etc... You wouldn't believe how many MESSY places we still have to go into - I am sure the inspector appreciated your tidiness. If the building is sound and no major issues have been found, then the interior inspection part of it will go super fast. Quick walk through basically, maybe take some pictures of kitchen/living/bed/bath rooms.

The site manager is always showing us around, so it's in their best interest not to let us go digging through your stuff. They are liable if anything does happen on their tour. They have to answer to residents. And if they get an inspector that is creepy, they probably watch him/her like a hawk.

Now if you live in an apartment that is falling apart and you want management to do more about the site, then you will welcome these inspectors and tell them all about the issues. The lenders sometimes, many times, comes back to the owner/management and requires them to fix deferred maintenance issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting