Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 AM

698 posts, read 797,942 times

Advertisements

I've had a few weeks off and been running around with a friend who has been looking at rentals on Craigslist. There seems to be a trend where the landlord has somehow forgotten they want to come up and stay on weekends. Meaning it is slipped in after gas and time has already been spent to show up and view the home

One house was a mobile home, full price but had a motorhome on the premesis and a section where a bonfire had taken place. Chairs and a bbbq. This is in the driveway. The Landlord wants to come up once a month with his wife, stay for the weekend, and go back.

Second home had a garage but after we arrived, we saw an apartment. I thought it odd that it wasn't mentioned then after all their requirements (3x income, no pets, bragging incessively about the home) they slipped in a similar arrangement. But assured her they'd call and give 24 hr notice. The adds in general, including this one, also seem to be fudging on the size. Maybe they are including the garage in the size of the home, but it was not 1800 square feet. The rent was discounted, maybe about 100 less than the average price.

She is afraid to ask, do you grow marijuana on the property? This is something we learned about later with a few homes. And then ask, do you all plan to reside on the property any weekends out of the year? she's afraid if she asks too many questions upfront, they will deem her difficult and not offer to show the house. Their contracts have nothing said about coming up for the weekend by the way, but are sure thorough when it comes to the Tenants portion of the agreement. It seems unfair but who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:37 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Not uncommon when dealing with amateurs... especially on Craigslist

Best suggestion is to only deal with Licensed Property Management Companies you have checked out.

If they pulled something like this... you have the option of filing a complaint with the State and Board of Realtors.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:38 PM

698 posts, read 797,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not uncommon when dealing with amateurs... especially on Craigslist

Best suggestion is to only deal with Licensed Property Management Companies you have checked out.

If they pulled something like this... you have the option of filing a complaint with the State and Board of Realtors.
Thank you, I didn't know this.
Ironically the lady who wants to come up weekends w//hubby and live in the apartment, works for one. So she assured us she would always follow the law. Hmmm...

Old 12-09-2014, 09:59 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
I never had a problem with tenants asking questions. The interview goes both ways.

If she would have called me up and even said, "These may sound like weird questions, but I've actually had this happen to me a couple of times now... I'm looking for a place that will be all mine, with no owners coming up to stay on the property for weekends and vacations, etc. I have no problem with 6 month inspections or if a landlord needs to make an occasional repair, but I don't want to share the place I'm renting with a landlord who wants to come stay on the property overnight on a regular basis. So, if this is what you are proposing, I'll save both of us some time..."

It's bad enough when a landlord wants to do all the gardening, etc., himself, and keeps coming around to do repairs or whatever. But, to come stay? I think that's weird. I'd want a way better discount than $100 to put up with that lol!

Old 12-09-2014, 10:50 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Good friends of mine own a 20 acres in Washington on Puget Sound... they plan to retire there in 4 years.

In the meantime, the home is rented which includes a nice garage and other amenities.

The property also has a shop where my friend has personal items stored and each August they spend two week at the property... half the time doing repairs and the other half just vacation...

It's never been an issue and the lease specifically excludes the shop which is off in the distance from the house...

I would imagine they wouldn't accept a tenant that would find this to be a problem.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Good friends of mine own a 20 acres in Washington on Puget Sound... they plan to retire there in 4 years.

In the meantime, the home is rented which includes a nice garage and other amenities.

The property also has a shop where my friend has personal items stored and each August they spend two week at the property... half the time doing repairs and the other half just vacation...

It's never been an issue and the lease specifically excludes the shop which is off in the distance from the house...

I would imagine they wouldn't accept a tenant that would find this to be a problem.
For sure. I'd personally hate that arrangement, though, as the tenant. Your friends and I would obviously not be a match ha ha. But, I bet they don't try to trick the tenants either, like the OP's friend. That's just creepy.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:31 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
HUH Why would it matter... Not like they living in the same space as tenant. One Mobile home with Motorhome for owners to stay. Other has a separate apt where to owners be staying. Now I bulk if they Owners were planning on staying in my space or I had to keep a room open for them!

Old 12-09-2014, 11:35 PM

Having them in the backyard? Even that's too close for me.

Old 12-09-2014, 11:51 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Having them in the backyard? Even that's too close for me.
+1

/would not allow it..

Old 12-10-2014, 12:40 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Why? NMS you yourself were an apt mgr living in an apt on the complex..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting