Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 01:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,903 times

Advertisements

I moved out from home 2 weeks after turning 18, 2 months later i'm notified by my mom that i was put on the lease even after she told them not to and now they are being evicted and i'm on the notice. what should i do? who should i call? can i legally be put on a lease i never signed and only lived there as an adult for 2 weeks? what can i do to be taken off the eviction notice and not have it ruin my credit?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2014, 02:05 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,418,810 times
No, you can't be a party to a lease if you're not a signatory to it. You were likely listed as an "occupant" on the lease but that in no way ties you to it legally.

What notice have your parents received? If they're behind on rent or have otherwise defaulted on their lease terms no eviction may have yet been filed but they've been given a "cure or quit" notice. If they don't remedy the default only then will formal eviction through the court go forward. An eviction is a court process.

If what they've received is a cure or quit and an eviction is to follow, your parents need to notify the landlord to advise that you were not a signatory to the lease and that any filing should not include your name as a co-defendant.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:07 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,438,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjh View Post
can i legally be put on a lease (as a responsible party) that i never signed
NO

Quote:
what should i do? who should i call?
what can i do to be taken off the eviction notice and not have it ruin my credit?
Start with the Landlord and the Property Manager
(these are separate parties... go to both)

Get a copy of the lease they claim has you as a responsible party.
Take that to the COURT the eviction is filed in.
Ask the clerk for what tenant assistance resources are there

Old 12-22-2014, 02:10 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,394,558 times
If you were illegally put on a lease, you may have a cause for legal action against the landlord. Consult an attorney (legal aid society ).

Old 12-22-2014, 02:26 PM

I think there's confusion about what "notice" his parents have actually received and he needs to find that out first.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM

10,746 posts, read 25,858,805 times
And he did live in the unit for two weeks..so either he was listed on the lease as lease 'owner' and never signed or he was listed as an occupant. Also, as STT said...he needs to find out exactly what the notice said.

Old 12-22-2014, 03:16 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
At 18 he was moved from Ocup to Leasor! He moved out 2 weeks later no one told LL

Old 12-22-2014, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
At 18 he was moved from Ocup to Leasor! He moved out 2 weeks later no one told LL
He can't be held accountable for adhering to the terms of the lease and neither can he be named as a codefendant on an eviction because he never signed the lease!!!

Old 12-22-2014, 04:12 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He can't be held accountable for adhering to the terms of the lease and neither can he be named as a codefendant on an eviction because he never signed the lease!!!
NOT true in ALL states. I know its been some Decades but when I turned 18 I had to show proof of my income to the rental office. I never signed the lease BUT when we got evicted a few months later & I Was in the Army, I to was named on the papers! They went after Both me & my mom for the rent. We lived in VA.

Over the decades I heard others in WV going thru the same thing.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Could just be a mistake...

I once had a Section 8 eviction and named all parties listed on the lease as prepared by the Housing Authority... only the Mom had signed as the others were minors at the time.

The 18 year old called me when I filed and said she now lives with her father and had just submitted papers to the Housing Authority because she was working and her income would have increased the portion of rent her Mom paid...

It was simple... I asked the Judge to amend and remove her from the action and he had no problem doing that.

The thing is only you can get the ball rolling to protect yourself...

It is also possible someone in your family forged your signature... I've seen it a lot of times... even using a child's Social Security Number to sign on for utilities... desperate people do desperate things...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting