Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2014, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 711 times

Advertisements

I live in Philadelphia and upon moving into my apartment I paid for the first month last month and two security deposits each for 895 a piece (I basically paid 4 months rent to move in) I was told the extra security deposit would be applied to my second to last month rent but now the landlord is saying they will check with corporate and see if this is the case. Also can my lease states I must pay for carpet cleaning when I leave and they will automatically keep half of one of my security deposits for redecorating. ..is any of that legal?? Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 11:16 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times
In PA, landlords can charge a security deposit equal to two months rent for the first year of a lease. Was there anything in writing or in your lease acknowledging that the second deposit would be applied to the second to last month's rent? If not, the LL has to follow PA landlord tenant laws (see link in first "sticky" on this forum) where return of the security deposit is concerned and provide documentation to support any deductions made from it.

"Also can my lease states I must pay for carpet cleaning when I leave and they will automatically keep half of one of my security deposits for redecorating. ..is any of that legal?? "

Your wording is confusing. DOES your lease stipulate those conditions? If it does then you agreed to those terms when you signed the lease so have to abide by at least the carpet cleaning mandate which isn't unusual. If you plan on using a service of your choosing to clean the carpets, suggest you take dated "before and after" photographs in case there's any dispute after you leave - and obviously keep the receipt from the cleaning service.

I'm not sure whether or not a LL can automatically deduct half a month's security deposit for "redecorating" even if you agreed to it. Someone with more experience may be able to answer that or else check with legal counsel in your area. It does sound a bit "off" to me and it's not something I've ever come across. Security deposits are to cover anything beyond normal wear and tear and not "redecorating".

Good luck getting it sorted out!

Old 12-26-2014, 01:21 PM

16,787 posts, read 48,857,761 times
I pretty much agree with all that STT wrote above. However, if they keep part of your deposit to pay for carpet cleaning then you probably should not clean it yourself, otherwise you could end up paying to clean it twice. Verify if the landlord wants you to clean it before doing so.

You can familiarize yourself with the PA landlord tenant laws here: Overview of Landlord-Tenant Laws in Pennsylvania | Nolo.com

TENANT-LANDLORD HANDBOOK

TENANT-LANDLORD HANDBOOK Security Deposit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting