Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2015, 10:36 PM

106 posts, read 223,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Most of my homes still have two knobs... hot and cold... never really liked the single handle because they often require cartridges to repair...

The new ones are temperature balance which sounds great in theory and not so good in practice... have one in a triplex... the city has been doing months of construction and it never fails that sediment gets in the lines and the temperature balance valve has to be removed, cleaned and put back in to work... the other two units with the old style two handle have no issue.

I thought everything pointed to a defective water heater...

I bet the owner is pulling hair about now...
They just left right now and they said they see NOTHING wrong and it could be just water pressure. I told them to get a 2nd opinoin (free diagnosis) and they said they do not see a problem.

What the hell do I do now? The workers said you have to CONTINOUSLY keep adjusting the knob during showers which is absolutely ridiculous. LL says right now everything is fine (but it wasnt, the water was not cold at all, just warm)

Again, the water heater has been replaced and is brand new.

i was told each time you turn on the water you will get a different temperature - is this true or false
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM

Any ideas?

Old 02-07-2015, 12:35 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PopTart21 View Post

i was told each time you turn on the water you will get a different temperature - is this true or false

True. Because the incoming cold water coming out of the faucet could be various temperatures, depending on the outdoor temp.

So each day you might have a different spot to turn the shower knob.

If anyone else uses the water in the house while you are in the shower, this will cause temperature issues for the water in your shower. Even the icemaker refilling with water can change your shower temp for a few seconds. Or a toilet flush.

Propably you need to decide if you want to deal with the shower or move to a diff place when when your lease expires.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
True. Because the incoming cold water coming out of the faucet could be various temperatures, depending on the outdoor temp.

So each day you might have a different spot to turn the shower knob.

If anyone else uses the water in the house while you are in the shower, this will cause temperature issues for the water in your shower. Even the icemaker refilling with water can change your shower temp for a few seconds. Or a toilet flush.

Propably you need to decide if you want to deal with the shower or move to a diff place when when your lease expires.
If i take a shower in the middle of night while no other water source is running i am getting warm water the entire shower.

But it doesnt happen every night. Also water fluctuates temperature throughout the shower even when no one else is home.

Also the water in the toilet is also hot

So your saying its normal for water to be really hot like that especially during a shower

Last edited by PopTart21; 02-07-2015 at 05:08 PM..

Old 02-07-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:

Also the water in the toilet is also hot
What do you mean when you say the water in the toilet is hot?

Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 PM

Quote:
What do you mean when you say the water in the toilet is hot?
I suppose after an incomplete flush when the water is refilling its hot enough to make the seat warm and room steamy

Old 02-07-2015, 06:37 PM

Quote:
I suppose after an incomplete flush when the water is refilling its hot enough to make the seat warm and room steamy
Water that is refilling into the toilet bowl has been sitting in the toilet tank (behind the bowl). I just can't imagine how hot water can make it into a toilet bowl.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Water that is refilling into the toilet bowl has been sitting in the toilet tank (behind the bowl). I just can't imagine how hot water can make it into a toilet bowl.
Ok. In summer it will be a problem showering. So theres no problem at all then? Not the valves or anything

Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Guess taking a hot bath is out of the question?

Old 02-08-2015, 01:46 AM

Another day and another warm shower.

So the only option left is to move? I just ran the cold water in the bathroom sink for 10 minutes and let it run. I go to touch it and the water is warm/hot.

Should i obtain a thermometer and record a video or something?
Am i in my right to call another plumber and get a diagnosis or do i have to tell the landlord first?

What are some ways to diagnose the issue and see whats causing the problem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting