Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 06:48 AM

394 posts, read 2,002,645 times

Advertisements

We lived in apartments many years ago after we were first married. One was a second floor apartment, another was a third floor apartment. In the third floor apartment it was very hot in the summer, we had to keep the AC going full blast. The climb was also a hassle, especially to do laundry which was in the basment. That translated to climbing up and down four floors. But when we were in our second floor apartment, we rarely heard the people above us. Personally, I never liked the third floor apartment and was relieved when we moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 10:41 AM

713 posts, read 2,716,544 times
I lived in Reno in an 3 story apartment. I was on the 1st floor. When the ppl on the second floor had sex..their headboard would hit the wall and the sound would travel down it. Since their room was above mine, I also knew when he or she climaxed. I called the office...hit the ceiling with a broom handle...etc. They had a loud party on Valentines day. I cant be certain, but I think he hit her too. I was going to contact the police if I had that feeling ever again. These were nice apartments, in a nice area of Reno. The couple moved out. Also...he lifed weights, in the bedroom. It was ****. I think they were finally asked to leave.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 86,123 times
Talking apartment rental

Hi, my brother and I have always preferred 2nd floor rental for several reasons: safety, for the view, rent is a little cheaper then the first floor. 3rd floor is the cheapest, but can put a heavy toll on you when you have to move all those furnitures in and out of the apt.

During the winter the stairs maybe covered with ice and snow, risk of slip and fall will be higher then.

First floor is the most expensive, takes less work and time for people to break into your apt. and leave because it's located on the first floor. They don't need to gain access through front door, the chances of them being seen by anyone is very slim.

Sometimes the patio (where the sliding door is located is covered by bushes/shrubberies, good covering for a thief or someone who wants to cause alot of havoc for the 1st flr tenant).

As a tenant, I would go with the 2nd floor.

Lin

Old 02-01-2008, 08:58 PM

156 posts, read 920,129 times
Hi Again...

Wanted to get back and give you all my feedback and thank all of you with your help and experiences..

Well.. I took the 2nd floor.. I have been here about 2 weeks and am very happy about the decision... I like the view above the cars in the parking lot.. They tend to dissappear and are not staring at me as would be on the first floor. I have a great view of my own car ( came in handy when I heard a car alarm)..Plus I get a wood decking material instead of concrete on the first floor..I can feel safe going out there for a cigg or just to get some air..The stairs in the complex are not very steep.... makes it easier to get up them... I would never choose a 3rd floor unless you are really in good shape and have no need to carry too much up.. ( bike, sand chairs, coolers etc..) I have very little noise from any location in my apartment.. Above tenant hardly home and mild footsteps.. ( got lucky).. The bottom apt is empty and may become a model.. ( really lucky) lol... the shower pressure is fine and I hear less so from the 3rd floor..I feel very safe up one flight..I am hoping to save a few bucks on heat and A/C being in the middle...

So all and all... I am happy with the 2nd floor choice.. getting some exercise going up and down, but not a bad thing...and not excessive.. I am in my mid 40's and what I am telling you, may be different for someone older and then again someone younger..

Thanks to all that helped me in making my decison...Good luck to all!!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 PM

355 posts, read 2,402,464 times
3rd floor all the way!!! I have lived on all levels--1st, 2nd & 3rd & highly recommend the 3rd floor--I live on it now & love not having to hear anyone above me! Yes, it sucks with groceries & whatnot, but it's worth it. Not having to hear toilets flush & people walking back & forth above you like others here have said is so much better. I would say the 2nd floor is the worst because you have to hear the people above you AND below you

Old 02-04-2008, 02:10 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,143,792 times
I've lived on all levels too, and so far I've been happiest with my current ground-level apartment. The worst noise problems I've had have always been people beneath me who thought they could be jerkoffs just because they didn't have anyone beneath THEM. I also feel more secure because the carpet is on concrete, instead of a suspended wooden roof. And the laundry room next to me... THUMP THUMP THUMP for about 30 seconds only if the washer is overloaded. I can live with that.

But it is HUMID in there.. 70%. Water heater is probably to blame for that. I need to do something about that.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:13 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
I've lived on second floor and third floor apartments and, having somewhat of a reclusive nature, I prefer the third floor. I like not having anyone above me but do worry about making noise for the tenants below.

The only real downside, IMHO, is moving in and out of a third floor apartment.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:03 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,426,246 times
I remember living in an apartment when we first moved to Florida. We had a family above us, a husband and wife who fought like cats and dogs and their kids who ran about the apartment that sounded like a herd of elephants.

They used to fight so much I was just hoping that the wife would either kick him out or kill him, either would have been fine with me.

I guess its a toss up whether you want noise above you or want to drag yourself up the stairs.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:20 PM

1,887 posts, read 7,937,717 times
I'm glad I found this thread! Im getting ready to make a decision on a new apartment, too! I've always enjoyed the top floor (ever since college). It was always more peaceful way up there. As long as I had a balcony, I was happy with it. I never felt secure with a first floor apartment. Being on the third floor meant no one had to come up unless you lived there.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:30 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTORIA.1 View Post
Hi Again..

I have to make a choice today or tomorrow on getting a second floor apartment or a third floor.. I decided against the first floor for security.. I have never lived in this type of apartment situation.. I worry the 2nd floor will be a nightmare with people running above my head, but walking up 3 flights of stairs is not too appealing....

Has anybody rented 2nd or 3rd and can offer a first hand opinion?

Thanks
I'm in a second floor apartment and was in a second floor apartment 12 years before this one in another state. The hassle is lugging groceries and anything else heavy up and down the stairs. The good part is I feel safer not living on the ground floor. My apartment is very nice and roomy and the complex is ideally located.

Above me, on the third floor is a circus act, well not literally. I swear the whole family sounds like it does cartwheels and jumping jacks and back flips. They crash around. The toddler runs. The teen jumps around when they get home from school (before the parents). Since they have no one living above them, and they told me it had been 7 years since they last lived in an apartment, my assumption is they have no concept of just how awful they are. They run some kind of motor in their bedroom at night. They recently purchased, what I think is a grandfather-type clock. It gongs on every hour - 12 gongs at midnight. They put up windchimes (a no-no in most apartment complexes but this I don't mind because they sound nice and you can't hear them in the bedroom) --- still it's rude behavior and apparently comes with people who are not used to living with others. They never talk loud or play loud music, play a loud TV or hold parties. In fact, I don't hear them talking at all. You don't hear them clomping around at all after 10PM so I assume, the whole family goes to bed then but every night it sounds like moving day, up there with the crashing around between 4 and 9. When you talk to them, they are very nice people. Both apparently work.

The neighbor below me is the property manager. After I first moved in, she said, her husband asked if there was anyone up there yet because they don't hear me clomping around which means it's the people, not the complex.

In my prior complex, the only issue was big dogs above you. The ones above me always got excited when it was time to go out for a walk at night and used to run around the apartment above me. But, since I was still up, it never bothered me and the people (and their dogs) were quiet.

Smoke travels up. If there is a smoker, that smoke will most likely irritate you if they live below you or if they live adjacent to you and smoke in the bedroom, adjacent to your bedroom.

Check the stairs. Wood stairs are noisier than cement stairs --- if your apartment is next to the stairs and you are on the second or first floor. People run up and down them and you'll hear it in your apartment, in the early hours of the morning.

Here's my advice - If you can manage the extra flight of stairs for carrying heavy items, live on the top floor and ask if a smoker lives below you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting