Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2015, 11:12 PM

2 posts, read 1,385 times

Advertisements

Hi there.

I live in California.

Last year, some buddies of mine had an apartment with an empty spot to fill because one of their roommates backed out for financial reasons. Their lease began in August, for a period of one year.

I lived in the same building, different unit. I'd been living in that apartment for two years, but I wanted to move out (didn't know the new people on the lease), so I was looking for a place to stay temporarily. I told my buddies I could move in with them. They said OK. I let them know that it would be a short-term thing, and that I would move out probably around end of 2014, early 2015. They said OK.

I moved in. I did not put down a security deposit. I did not sign a lease, but I did let the landlord know I was moving to the new unit. I pay the rent directly to her.

I want to move out by the end of February. I let my roommates know online. They said OK. I let them know in person. They said OK.

Do I have any legal responsibilities? I've been trying to find a replacement roommate to fill the gap, but if I end up not finding one (I already got one person veto'd even though he was willing to move in ASAP), do I risk the possibility of being sued for backrent?

Thank you for any of your input. I really appreciate it.

Last edited by andrewgrace; 01-15-2015 at 11:13 PM.. Reason: added in a detail that may be important
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2015, 11:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
Sounds like you basically have a month-to-month agreement. If you are not on a written lease, then the default is a month-to-month agreement. In that case, you have to give 1 month's notice, which you did.

Your only possible liability would come from your previous place, it that's not settled, or if you move out and there are charges for damages from what you've done, IMO.

Old 01-15-2015, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,385 times
Thanks. The previous place was settled.

My remaining roommates keep telling me that they don't have time to look for a new roommate, so I feel guilty over leaving them in the lurch (which I am not trying to do), and then I get to thinking that I actually owe them something, but glad to know that it sounds OK...

Old 01-16-2015, 12:56 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,296,465 times
You're giving them way more notice than you need to. Don't let them guilt you. Sounds like you've been very fair and responsible. If they're too lazy to find a replacement, that's on them. IMO. Best wishes to you :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting