Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 06:38 PM

237 posts, read 786,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Some landlords will allow you to break a lease without penalty, most won't. Whether you pay a penalty or not, once you're released from the lease (and it's wise to have this put in writing) and return the keys, you are no longer beholden to it other than as stated above.
Yea she didn't say anything about a penalty...but I've been out for over two months now...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 08:06 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
OP, you and the landlord mutually agreed to terminate the lease early. You no longer have a lease that runs until October. What you have now is a month to month agreement that ends on the last day if your 30 day notice.

You must vacate or risk the landlord evicting you for "over-stay". If the landlord files an eviction, you can forget about finding another nice place to rent. Good landlords with nice places do not rent to tenants who have evictions on their record. The landlords who specialize in evictees rent out places that don't get good maintenance and they charge high rent and high deposits.

You did the right thing to go to the landlord and tell him that you decided to stay. But unfortunately, he has already rented the place to the next tenant, so you must pack up and go.

You said that you gave notice to move because of lowered income. It sounds like you can't afford the place even if the landlord allows you to stay.

You need to do whatever it takes to prevent an eviction on your record. That means you leave when the landlord asks you to vacate.

Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 695 times
What do I do if a place I'm looking at passes inspection and the place I'm staying at is not in good terms with me and I give a 30 day notice and the place I don't end up getting can I be asked to leave my current premises

Old 10-27-2017, 09:42 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmullins429 View Post
What do I do if a place I'm looking at passes inspection and the place I'm staying at is not in good terms with me and I give a 30 day notice and the place I don't end up getting can I be asked to leave my current premises
In the majority of cases, yes. I can't think of a single state that I've lived in where the landlord is obligated by law to extend your lease or allow you to stay after you give 30 days notice--even if you revoke the notice.

A landlord may allow you to stay if s/he has not found someone else to rent the place.

When I had a rental, I had tenants give notice and then not get the other place. I didn't have an obligation under law to let them stay on but they were decent tenants so I renewed their lease and mutually revoked the 30-day notice.

When you are looking at a new place to live, make sure that you have the key in hand from the new place and a signed lease from them before actually giving the notice to the current landlord.

Old 10-28-2017, 05:05 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmullins429 View Post
Yes, you can and will be asked to leave by the date in your notice. If you think your new unit won't work out, you find something else that will.

Old 10-28-2017, 07:04 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yes, you can and will be asked to leave by the date in your notice. If you think your new unit won't work out, you find something else that will.
They will not always have to move, as clearly stated and explained in the post directly above yours. You have absolutely no way of knowing whether they will for sure have to move or not because it always depends on each individual circumstance and whether it could work out for them to stay.

There is no obligation for a LL to allow them to stay however, it can be done.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:00 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dental257 View Post
I gave my 30 day notice but my situation has changed, and rather than be homeless, i told the LL the situation.
He responded by stating that they already have a tenant and that they were already signing paperwork..
My lease is not officially up until October, but they were gracious enough to let me out as i lost my 2nd source of income and it is becoming difficult to make ends meet. Realizing this, does not change the fact that i don't want to be homeless with an 8 year old, and i suppose if it was difficult before to make ends meet after paying rent, that i will have to suck it up more and cut back in some areas. That said..
What could happen if i decide to stay on through the remainder, or at least for one more month?
I should not have been so quick to give my notice as this would happen to me....

What do you mean "stay through the remainder" or "at least one more month?" . Legally you can only stay until whatever your stated last day of occupancy is.

When you say let you out if both of you agreed tophe new day to vacate is x instead if of y then x becomes your new last day to legally occupy.

If you stay they can file a unlawful detainer against you. It's really bad.

Old 10-28-2017, 08:14 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What do you mean "stay through the remainder" or "at least one more month?" . Legally you can only stay until whatever your stated last day of occupancy is.

When you say let you out if both of you agreed tophe new day to vacate is x instead if of y then x becomes your new last day to legally occupy.

If you stay they can file a unlawful detainer against you. It's really bad.
Psssst, you are responding to the original post from almost 3 years ago. Post #23 was just added with a new (more vague) question.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
They will not always have to move, as clearly stated and explained in the post directly above yours. You have absolutely no way of knowing whether they will for sure have to move or not because it always depends on each individual circumstance and whether it could work out for them to stay.

There is no obligation for a LL to allow them to stay however, it can be done.
Yes, it can be done but considering he’s not good terms with his landlord, I doubt it.

Old 10-28-2017, 11:50 AM

4,515 posts, read 2,520,191 times
If you aren't a good tenant and you give me 30 days notice you can be darn sure I am enforcing it. A good tenant, and I will extend as long as you want as long as I don't already have a new tenant set up to move in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting