Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 04:34 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,311 times

Advertisements

Granted I'm a few months off, but what do property managers do for an inspection of the property? I keep my house nice all day every day but just curious what exactly they're looking for/at? I've never had a place ask to inspect the property. I still have boxes in my garage, but that's the extent to our "cluttter" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2015, 04:53 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Exactly? Whatever YOUR landlord considers important. Ask him.

Generally? They're looking for signs of how much respect you have for them.
Most of it is common sense and yes, it shows.

How often do you clean the toilet?
How about the wall behind it?
Last time something spilled in the oven... what did you do about it?

Old 01-20-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Exactly? Whatever YOUR landlord considers important. Ask him.

Generally? They're looking for signs of how much respect you have for them.
Most of it is common sense and yes, it shows.

How often do you clean the toilet?
How about the wall behind it?
Last time something spilled in the oven... what did you do about it?
If that's what they're looking at, then I'm probably golden. LOL I'm probably over thinking it. (though to answer your question, my toilets get cleaned every other day, the walls/baseboards ALL get wiped down every 2-3 weeks and oven gets thoroughly cleaned 1x a month).

Old 01-20-2015, 05:02 PM

102,063 posts, read 106,896,974 times
The owner or owner's agent has the right to access a unit once/year for an inspection. I don't think they're concerned about "clutter", unless it's excessive and could cause a hazard of some sort.

They're looking for potential problem areas. For example, do you run the fan when you're showering or do you allow the steam to condense and run down the walls, which as a chronic condition, could cause water damage and attract moisture ants? Looking for any potential sources of water damage (a leaky pipe that went unreported), or other damage. Looking to see that the place, especially the kitchen, is kept reasonably clean, so as not to attract pests. Looking for any potential roof leaks.

A lot of what they're looking for has nothing to do with you. They're checking to see that everything is in good working order. (Toilet isn't running chronically, drains are clear, faucets don't drip, etc.)

Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The owner or owner's agent has the right to access a unit once/year for an inspection. I don't think they're concerned about "clutter", unless it's excessive and could cause a hazard of some sort.

They're looking for potential problem areas. For example, do you run the fan when you're showering or do you allow the steam to condense and run down the walls, which as a chronic condition, could cause water damage and attract moisture ants? Looking for any potential sources of water damage (a leaky pipe that went unreported), or other damage. Looking to see that the place, especially the kitchen, is kept reasonably clean, so as not to attract pests. Looking for any potential roof leaks.

A lot of what they're looking for has nothing to do with you. They're checking to see that everything is in good working order. (Toilet isn't running chronically, drains are clear, faucets don't drip, etc.)
Oh, i wasnt trying to imply that they shouldn't have access, i've just never dealt with this in the 10+ years i've rented before. Good to know though!

Old 01-20-2015, 05:55 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,434,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Oh, i wasnt trying to imply that they shouldn't have access, i've just never dealt with this in the 10+ years i've rented before. Good to know though!
Most larger complexes are required by their insurance company to conduct annual inspections and no worries, it's not a big deal. They're really less interested in your personal cleanliness than with structural issues and general maintenance. But you really MUST remove that baby elephant out of the closet and remove those years of piled up newspapers you've been hoarding in every nook and cranny!

Old 01-20-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Most larger complexes are required by their insurance company to conduct annual inspections and no worries, it's not a big deal. They're really less interested in your personal cleanliness than with structural issues and general maintenance. But you really MUST remove that baby elephant out of the closet and remove those years of piled up newspapers you've been hoarding in every nook and cranny!
Ah, that makes sense as to why I've not dealt with it thus far, we usually rent single standing homes, not apartments.

Old 01-20-2015, 07:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,307,516 times
Quote:
Granted I'm a few months off, but what do property managers do for an inspection of the property? I keep my house nice all day every day but just curious what exactly they're looking for/at? I've never had a place ask to inspect the property. I still have boxes in my garage, but that's the extent to our "cluttter" here.

When government does an annual inspection (I lived in a city where annual rental inspections are required) they are looking for unsafe conditions and other code violations...when property managers do they are keepng their insurance companies happy, landlords are doing it to investigate your lifestyle.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:46 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,443,763 times
Quote:
Structural damage
Leaks
Hoarders
Carpet damage
Hidden pets
Smoke detectors
Fire hazards
Fish tanks
Water beds
Signs of Drugs
Too many occupants
Anything that violates the lease agreement

Old 09-18-2015, 04:32 PM

Hah! I had posted earlier this year that my landlord was preparing to inspect the property, well it never happened until today. Apparently the management company had some turnover and they kinda dropped the ball on it. I was stressing over nothing, i was petrified that there was something wrong that either I didnt realize was a problem or who knows what. I think they spent maybe 5 seconds per room, long enough to look at the walls and ceilings and walk out.

I think they spent more time petting my corgi through her crate than they did inspecting the house.

Though the owner of the house sent me a facebook message telling me that the inspector emailed her and said the house was *very* clean and no damages. Super pleased it was not as stressful as I was imagining in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting