Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,381,386 times

Advertisements

[quote=STT Resident;38138114]There's really nothing that can be said to help you other than the suggestions already offered. You were given accommodation in return for performing certain duties and then refused to perform those duties so I'm unclear what you really expected to happen. Hopefully you can stall the moving to give you more time before an eviction is filed but best advice is to both research your legal rights and sit down with your employer to work out a compromise until you can find an alternative situation.
Thanks again for what you offered.

. To be clear I didnt refuse to do my management duties. I refused to do the Illegal ones. And I never said I wanted to stall for more time. Hes threatening my son with financial injury.Thats what Im concerned with. Like I said im going to legal aid today. I was hoping to hear from someone that had actually been thru this on either side or was knowledgeable. Maybe a paralegal with experience in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2015, 08:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,567,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
I was hoping to hear from someone that had actually been thru this on either side or was knowledgeable. Maybe a paralegal with experience in this area.
Forum participants don't give legal advice - the attorney you're going to see will do that.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:50 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,598,703 times
How old is your son? How is he involved in this situation?

Last edited by RonkonkomaNative; 01-23-2015 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 01-25-2015, 09:26 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,427,722 times
Does your son owe him $5000? Where is the mention of $5000 coming from? Is your son under 18?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:37 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,808,367 times
Did your mnagement duties initially include the clean-up work, or was that added after the fact? Based on how I read it, it was added later. I'm not up to speed on CA LLT laws, but wouldn't that effectively change the "lease"?

Also, based on my reading, I don't think the OP was necessarily doing anything illegal. At least nothing that would be of any major consequence. If he wasn't growing or participating in the grow option all he was doing was cleaning up. A couple leaves here and there and some signs of a grow are not that big of a deal. Is one required to notify the authorities every time a little dope is found? It could be argued that all he had was suspicion of a grow. Maybe.

Personally, if I were the OP, I would be looking for another place to go since this guy just seems like trouble in the making. Trouble the OP probably doesn't want to be wrapped up in.

OP, negotiate a timeframe for you to get out without being evicted. Don't threaten him in any way. The advice about threatening a dope dealer being bad is correct. Just try to be professional and get the heck out of there. Good luck.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:20 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,382,398 times
I was a resident apartment manager, and was always in fear of losing my job, because my housing was tied directly to it, and if you lose your job, you have to vacate immediately, with none of the usual rights for tenants. People think it's a great job, but don't usually realize this.

I will assume you have already moved out. But, I think you should contact the CA Dept of Labor for help. You were, after all, an employee. And you should file for unemployment. There are circumstances where you can get unemployment, even if you quit. I think your situation qualifies.

Here is the DOL claims page:

California Labor and Workforce Development Agency

Unemployment:

Filing a Claim

Even for resident managers, the employer has to cover you for unemployment and workers compensation. So, I think you should file for unemployment, and contact the DOL for help regarding the issues with your employer.

If the employer is actually threatening you, you should also contact law enforcement, IMO.

I'm so sorry this has happened to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting