Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:50 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,111,696 times

Advertisements

hahahaha 30 yrs old broke arm Hospital Bill Still there! Be 60 this summer!

Went thru a Foreclosure 2000 Bank 100% paid off when property was sold its Still on my cr report!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 11:42 PM

174 posts, read 216,758 times
If you have 12 months rent in the bank you can probably offer to pay all 12 up front.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:23 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,111,696 times
Do that Don't expect to get any back IF you move early or they find another reason to evict you.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:32 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,761,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
Exactly as the title says, my girlfriend has an eviction from 2009. There's a court record and it's on her credit reporting as money owed.

My record on the other hand is clean.

I keep running into road blocks as soon as I mention that she has an eviction.

What's making this difficult for me to even wrap my head around is that I have a take home pay around 4~6 times the rental rate. If we added her income we'd be about 10 times, but lets exclude that due to the eviction.

What I can't seem to understand is, if I can solely be approved by myself, why would adding her on immediately result in a denial?

On the flip side, if I have an established lease and she wanted to move in with me, am I to understand that she would actually not be allowed to move in with me due to the eviction?

Any input and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*note* It has been suggested that the debt be paid off. I've seen many LLs here mention that even seeing the eviction on the court record will be enough to throw it out. So paying it off now that it has been ~5 years seems to make Zero sense as the debt itself will roll off in a few more years.
I would not rent to you just from your note she is a dead beat that does not pay her debt 5 years or not. Why should I pay just screw the landlord and in 2 years it will not matter.

Old 01-26-2015, 09:36 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,761,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredRestless View Post
If you have 12 months rent in the bank you can probably offer to pay all 12 up front.
Big red flag I would never rent to you with 12 months up front

Old 01-27-2015, 04:51 AM

14 posts, read 64,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
I would not rent to you just from your note she is a dead beat that does not pay her debt 5 years or not. Why should I pay just screw the landlord and in 2 years it will not matter.

That's a financial decision that is recommended by advisors. At this point in the game paying the debt would simply be an "ethical" choice. The collection company won't do a "pay for delete" to get it removed from the report.

According to these forums, most of you wouldn't rent to someone with an eviction filing, regardless of the results.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:17 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,885,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poormanq45 View Post
That's a financial decision that is recommended by advisors. At this point in the game paying the debt would simply be an "ethical" choice. The collection company won't do a "pay for delete" to get it removed from the report.

According to these forums, most of you wouldn't rent to someone with an eviction filing, regardless of the results.
Which financial advisor to you (or your gf) that ignoring debt is a good idea? Or that having an eviction on your record isn't a big deal?

And yes, most (99%) of the landlords on this site wouldn't rent to your gf and the same goes for the real world. Your gf screwed over one landlord already and has ignored the debt for 5 yrs.....I wouldn't take the chance she won't do it again.

Just so you know....it won't disappear from her record....it will always be there and it depends on how far back the LL is willing to go. Mine (well really the HOA) goes back 10 yrs.

If she pays the debt (and she should) it will show up as paid and she might be able to get it removed from her credit report on her own with proof of payment, but that won't do anything for the eviction. The eviction will never go away.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:29 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,810,406 times
In my state, evictions are reported by the court. The landlord/collection agency has no power to remove the eviction.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:32 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,999,527 times
OP, most landlords are unforgiving jerks. I get that they get screwed over, but they aren't willing to give anyone a chance. That's my experience, especially with those who talk big on the Internet. These are the same people who are willing to bring out the pitchforks if you pay your rent first thing in the morning the day after your rent is due.

They also claim that it's so hard to get an eviction and that she must have really let things get out of control to be evicted in the first place, but they are the same ones who will say "EVICT!" as soon as legally possible, such as 10 days after the rent is due.

Missing just one paycheck can be cause for an eviction, even if you're ill or injured or just lost your job, and they'll cry to the world that you're a deadbeat. When you get evicted for something like that, it takes every dime you've got to try to struggle to find another place. Who has the money to pay first month's rent, a deposit AND pay your jerk-off landlord who wouldn't work with you when they could have just waited another week and gotten their money?

I would suggest looking at private landlords. You can find a lot of places on Craigslist that don't require a credit check. There will be some not-so-heartless landlords who won't think that your girlfriend deserves to be homeless for eternity because she paid her rent late once. You may not be able to pick from the pristine apartment complexes with sparkling pools and other amenities, though. Look for duplexes or small, modest single-family homes through private landlords.

Just so that the jerk landlords who will be ready to burn me at the stake for saying this know, I'm actually reasonably financially successful and always pay my rent on time. I still know how y'all work, though.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:52 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,810,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
OP, most landlords are unforgiving jerks. I get that they get screwed over, but they aren't willing to give anyone a chance. That's my experience, especially with those who talk big on the Internet. These are the same people who are willing to bring out the pitchforks if you pay your rent first thing in the morning the day after your rent is due.

They also claim that it's so hard to get an eviction and that she must have really let things get out of control to be evicted in the first place, but they are the same ones who will say "EVICT!" as soon as legally possible, such as 10 days after the rent is due.

Missing just one paycheck can be cause for an eviction, even if you're ill or injured or just lost your job, and they'll cry to the world that you're a deadbeat. When you get evicted for something like that, it takes every dime you've got to try to struggle to find another place. Who has the money to pay first month's rent, a deposit AND pay your jerk-off landlord who wouldn't work with you when they could have just waited another week and gotten their money?

I would suggest looking at private landlords. You can find a lot of places on Craigslist that don't require a credit check. There will be some not-so-heartless landlords who won't think that your girlfriend deserves to be homeless for eternity because she paid her rent late once. You may not be able to pick from the pristine apartment complexes with sparkling pools and other amenities, though. Look for duplexes or small, modest single-family homes through private landlords.

Just so that the jerk landlords who will be ready to burn me at the stake for saying this know, I'm actually reasonably financially successful and always pay my rent on time. I still know how y'all work, though.
As a private landlord, I run a business..not a charity. I can not afford to be forgiving nor can I afford to support a deadbeat tenant. I have my own mortgage to pay as well as taxes, insurance, all utilities and maintence.

Also, most private landlords now can check credit/backgrounds of potential tenant with a simple and free internet search AND, if your so "financially successful", why are you still rent from the evil landlords?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting