Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 05:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Landlords need more competition in the form of expanded housing options which allow more people to become landlords and also allow more people to own homes. Currently, landlords enjoy a government-enabled captive market of rent slaves.

There is no law prohibiting ANYONE from purchasing a property for the purpose of renting it out. And there is no law holding you in that city or state either

A government enabled captive market of rent slaves? Not one person I rented to has ever been forced to rent from me. Dude I won't even take a hold deposit. I don't remember pulling out a gun holding it to the tenants head and telling them sign or die. And last I looked I took the risk. From buying, taking the loan and having the tenant move in. I don't remember the government helping me save the money for the downpayment or helping me with the repairs

So what expanded housing options are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2015, 05:08 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
??? I call 'em like I see 'em. Personally I had a great landlord for 13 years in a town that kept tightening rental regulations. (The only reason I left was a health-related loss of income which prompted me to stay with family until I could return to work and earn income.) Personally I saw a dozen landlords grow to dominate the local market as the smaller landlords bailed out. Personally I saw market rents necessarily skyrocket while I lived way below market.

I don't ask much in life, just peace and quiet and solitude - a live/work environment in which I can be productive. A home environment filled with drunken fights and rampages is not normal, neither is it a normal work environment.
But you want those things for far less than market value.

In other words, you want your cake and to eat it, too.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:10 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Q. Why are deposits (or rents) so high?

A: Because we can.
No, it's because the market bears it. If there were not takers, the rents and deposits would go down.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,388,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is no law prohibiting ANYONE from purchasing a property for the purpose of renting it out. And there is no law holding you in that city or state either

A government enabled captive market of rent slaves? Not one person I rented to has ever been forced to rent from me. Dude I won't even take a hold deposit. I don't remember pulling out a gun holding it to the tenants head and telling them sign or die. And last I looked I took the risk. From buying, taking the loan and having the tenant move in. I don't remember the government helping me save the money for the downpayment or helping me with the repairs

So what expanded housing options are you talking about?

Nobody is forced to rent from YOU. But if there are 1000 people unable to buy, and rentals available for 1000 people, it's extremely likely someone is going to rent from you.

There are all sorts of local ordinances which preclude the availability for purchase of tiny homes (e.g. minimum lot sizes or (as in NYC) minimum apartment sizes which make them unaffordable to low earners. So landlords start off with an inherent advantage in the form of people who need housing but cannot buy.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
But you want those things for far less than market value.

In other words, you want your cake and to eat it, too.

Market value is artificially inflated by government when it prevents the private sector from providing housing affordably.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:14 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,944,054 times
Quote:
Market value is artificially inflated by government when it prevents the private sector from providing housing affordably.

If you want affordable housing, go buy or rent a unit you can afford. No one stopping you from affording your home, only you. Stop trying to live beyond your means. You can't afford a penthouse...let. it. go. The private sector doesn't have to provide affordable housing to anyone...just sayin

I find that those who complain about rent/deposits are those who are of limited income, who feel they should be able to live in a penthouse apt, when really they can only afford a room in a boarding house.

They are in the same category as those who can't rent because of bad credit or criminal history. It's always someone else's fault...no one wants to accept responsibility for their actions.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
No, it's because the market bears it. If there were not takers, the rents and deposits would go down.

Which is precisely Why we can.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you want affordable housing, go buy or rent a unit you can afford. No one stopping you from affording your home, only you. Stop trying to live beyond your means. You can't afford a penthouse...let. it. go. The private sector doesn't have to provide affordable housing to anyone...just sayin

I find that those who complain about rent/deposits are those who are of limited income, who feel they should be able to live in a penthouse apt, when really they can only afford a room in a boarding house.

They are in the same category as those who can't rent because of bad credit or criminal history. It's always someone else's fault...no one wants to accept responsibility for their actions.

Government is precisely the obstacle which prevented a former landlord from selling me the affordable guest house I rented for several years. I wanted to buy that property precisely in order to lock in the P&I and thereby keep it affordable. As a rental, it is no longer affordable, as local rents have necessarily skyrocketed.

Your thinking is backwards: It's not that I should be able to live in a penthouse apt, it's that a landlord or developer should be able to rent or sell the tiny property that is all I can afford. The landlord and the developer should have that choice whether to offer such option - that option should not be taken from the property owner by government.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:07 AM

32,565 posts, read 47,729,085 times
Quote:
........it's that a landlord or developer should be able to rent or sell the tiny property that is all I can afford. The landlord and the developer should have that choice whether to offer such option - that option should not be taken from the property owner by government.
Oh, OK. I am allowed to build a tiny home in my county. It's a really nice place to live, too. Let's see: $100,000 for a sort of nice lot, but not a wonderful one. $30,000 in permits and systems development fees. Another $30,000 to put in a septic system, but only $6500 to hook up to a sewer, if the area has a sewer. Another $5,000 for a water meter, $20,000 for land improvements, leveling, driveways,... Do you want a garage? How about some landscaping?

I might be able to put in a tiny house for $15,000 for the building, if you don't mind it being really plain.

You won't be able to finance that, so I hope you have a large stash of cash.

Let me know and I can start looking for the land. There will be an additional couple of thousand for escrow fees and title insurance.

Old 03-22-2015, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Oh, OK. I am allowed to build a tiny home in my county. It's a really nice place to live, too. Let's see: $100,000 for a sort of nice lot, but not a wonderful one. $30,000 in permits and systems development fees. Another $30,000 to put in a septic system, but only $6500 to hook up to a sewer, if the area has a sewer. Another $5,000 for a water meter, $20,000 for land improvements, leveling, driveways,... Do you want a garage? How about some landscaping?

I might be able to put in a tiny house for $15,000 for the building, if you don't mind it being really plain.

You won't be able to finance that, so I hope you have a large stash of cash.

Let me know and I can start looking for the land. There will be an additional couple of thousand for escrow fees and title insurance.

That pricing is odd; the city guest house I rented is on a lot that sold for $120K. The owners and I agreed on $40K for the guest house and the land it is on, with $80K for the remaining house and land. Of course, this was before rents necessarily skyrocketed; that property is close to $200K now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting