Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 04:23 PM

9,639 posts, read 5,980,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
The above quote is about late fees and when they can kick in. What state is that quote from above?

In OP's state(WI), there is no grace period per state law on when rent is considered 'late'. WI law says that landlord must have rent by the due date else it is considered late. Not even one day grace period.
This means the landlord can give notice on the 2nd to the OP - notice to move out because rent was not received by the 1st.

If the above 5 day 'late fee' is WI law(is it?), then the landlord can't charge late fee until 5 weekdays after the due date. But it's still officially considered 'late' on the 2nd and a move out notice could be issued on the 2nd. Who really gives a hoot about whether a late fee will apply when you have been given 'walking papers'.
That's for WI.

Link to that info? In my state it's late after 7 days, which is when I can charge a fee. I also can't issue walking papers till after 7 days of no payment.

Old 03-05-2015, 10:39 AM

31 posts, read 27,472 times
So.. I just got back home from court. Once they called my name I didnt even get a chance to sit down before the commissioner said: Case Dismissed with a smile! Thank You guys for all your help. He knew he had no case against me, I had paid in full plus extra . Glad that is over with. Just wish they would've notified me before I pryed myself out of bed!...(kidding)

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirrGordon View Post
So.. I just got back home from court. Once they called my name I didnt even get a chance to sit down before the commissioner said: Case Dismissed with a smile! Thank You guys for all your help. He knew he had no case against me, I had paid in full plus extra . Glad that is over with. Just wish they would've notified me before I pryed myself out of bed!...(kidding)
The case had to be dismissed!

Look back at my first response to you and read item number 2. That alone created a defective case. Since the required documents had to be filed with the court in order for the case to proceed to a hearing, if it was as you wrote and they only "slipped" something under your door, there was no way it was going to a hearing if the plaintiff did not submit the required legal proof of proper initial notice prior to the case being called. Since you never stated getting a copy of what they "slipped" under the door by mail or any pother valid method of service, it's an automatic dismissal.

I was going to mention this and even tell you to file a motion of improper notice prior to the hearing so you can get it dismissed ahead of time, but, since you got so hung up on the way and when you paid the rent, I figured what the heck, waste your time going to court over nothing.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:27 AM

24,303 posts, read 16,977,085 times
I'm glad it worked out for you. Lesson learned I think, pay on time next time all the time.

Old 03-05-2015, 12:13 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,479,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm glad it worked out for you. Lesson learned I think, pay on time next time all the time.
Seriously. Now your LL knows what he messed up on he'll be way more careful next time so you'd better make absolutely sure that you pay rent on time in future.

Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM

13,077 posts, read 20,758,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Seriously. Now your LL knows what he messed up on he'll be way more careful next time so you'd better make absolutely sure that you pay rent on time in future.
and that is the problem, the OP is under some mistaken belief as to what is "On Time". But, I see the Op getting evicted rel soon because the OP's win may have deluded them to thinking they were paying on time.

Old 03-05-2015, 06:28 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,291,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirrGordon View Post
Always glad to see a slumlord get taken down with the ship! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,812,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Always glad to see a slumlord get taken down with the ship! HAHAHAHAHAHA

A landlord that wants the rent on time does not make him/her a "slumlord". I suspect the landlord will appeal the court decision and the tenant will end up evicted.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,122,037 times
Take my suggestion get your rent a payment ahead keep it there! Glad you won this time but be sure he win next time... so don't let it come to that!

Old 03-06-2015, 04:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,479,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Take my suggestion get your rent a payment ahead keep it there! Glad you won this time but be sure he win next time... so don't let it come to that!
There was no "win". The case was dismissed. The landlord can immediately refile if it was dismissed without prejudice based on a technicality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting