Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:19 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherphotographer View Post
Good question, do you have a suggestion. Single women and kids do live here as well. Would you want the creep (A VIOLENT CONVICTED FELON NO LESS) around your family and friends?
You do of course realize that many people are convicted of sex offenses and labeled as sex offenders for what are basically totally innocuous acts? Thousands of these cases fall under the, "there but for the grace" banner and were I ever in your position I would tread enormously carefully and do a LOT of research before creating a storm. Quite possible that the landlord did exactly that.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:20 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Single women and children are all over the world. All felons will come in contact with them. I am fine with them being a maintenance man, even in the complex I live in (I am a woman). Your greatest threat is not from convicted sex offenders, but those who have not been caught, yet. There is no database for them.
Correct, but my landlord basically telling me "to shut up or else" is not right either. Where the hell does he have a right to tell me what I can say etc? That's called communism. Just about bordering on obstruction imho. I bet you'd change your tune if the shoe was on the other foot.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
You do of course realize that many people are convicted of sex offenses and labeled as sex offenders for what are basically totally innocuous acts? Thousands of these cases fall under the, "there but for the grace" banner and were I ever in your position I would tread enormously carefully and do a LOT of research before creating a storm. Quite possible that the landlord did exactly that.
Gross sexual imposition of a female child? Really? You wanna go there?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:23 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
Correct, but my landlord basically telling me "to shut up or else" is not right either. Where the hell does he have a right to tell me what I can say etc? That's called communism. Just about bordering on obstruction imho. I bet you'd change your tune if the shoe was on the other foot.
I'm not criticizing you for approaching your landlord, nor altering your neighbors. My question was simple. What jobs should convicted sexual felons have, if not a maintenance man?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
Are you prepared to move out? Because it sounds like that is going to be what is happening very soon by you spreading this around your building. Even if the landlord can't legally evict you, he's going to start making life very difficult for you.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I'm not criticizing you for approaching your landlord, nor altering your neighbors. My question was simple. What jobs should convicted sexual felons have, if not a maintenance man?
A job that does not allow unfettered access into apartments. Keep in mind, they have keys for "emergencies". You are actually trying to threadjack. It is a safety issue. As of this post, I have placed you on block. I see it's a good choice I made.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Are you prepared to move out? Because it sounds like that is going to be what is happening very soon by you spreading this around your building. Even if the landlord can't legally evict you, he's going to start making life very difficult for you.
What do you mean by that? Could you elaborate on the "making life difficult" aspect? I'll wait.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:31 PM

986 posts, read 1,865,956 times
Quote:
What do you mean by that? Could you elaborate on the "making life difficult" aspect? I'll wait.
Why are you so hostile?

Have an issue in your apartment that needs fixing? Upstairs neighbors being noisy? Get locked out of your apartment and need him to let you in? Just saying that you're going to be low on his priority list if you open this can of worms with him.

Old 03-01-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKiwi View Post
Why are you so hostile?

Have an issue in your apartment that needs fixing? Upstairs neighbors being noisy? Get locked out of your apartment and need him to let you in? Just saying that you're going to be low on his priority list if you open this can of worms with him.
Hostile? No? To the point, yes.

And what you just mentioned is covered under Landlord/Tenant laws. You might Google and learn a thing or two. What you just mentioned falls under a lease contract. Basically, he can't do that, or I can escrow rent.

Let me ask, do you happen to have a legal degree, yes?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,125,760 times
Quote:
You are actually trying to threadjack.
Threadjack?? Hardly. Your original post had no question in it. It was only a description of a scenario. With no specific question, one can only assume you were soliciting feedback on the situation; which is what I provided.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting