Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 09:54 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I'll probably leave it in there because I'd have to pay someone to remove it and store it.

How about this?--for the next lease term, I'll state that I am not responsible if any of the appliances break down.

Is this a common thing?
Yes, no problem putting in the lease that the tenant is allowed to use the washer/dryer, which remains your property, but you will not repair it if it breaks. I'd also include something in the lease that if the washer/dryer begins to leak, etc., that they are required to stop using it immediately and notify you that it is leaking, etc., and you could even put in the lease that you must approve of any repairs that they wish to do to them.

As long as your terms don't violate law or habitability issues, etc., you can write whatever you want to in your leases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 05:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,678,834 times
Quote:

How about this?--for the next lease term, I'll state that I am not responsible if any of the appliances break down.

Is this a common thing?
It's not uncommon but, before putting any such clause in your lease, you must check your state laws.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:13 AM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Ranks as one of the smartest move I made in the Landlord business when I stopped furnishing free standing appliances.
Yeah we had to completely change how we do business. We no longer provide appliances, craigslist helps those without them lol. Everyone now has the same flooring, carpets, paint colors to start.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:21 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,951,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Absolutely not. You provided a replacement and it's too bad that it doesn't suit her perfectly. All the stackable units I've used are perfectly capable of handling sheets and towels. They may not handle a mountain of them all together so she can do two loads instead of one. In my opinion her demand is ridiculous.
Agreed. Also, I live in Houston and I visit my little sister, who lives in Austin, frequently, so I know for a fact that the rent you're charging her for a 3/2 in Austin is very reasonable (if not a little low). Tell her if the new washer/dryer doesn't handle her laundry the way she thinks it should, she should take the extra money she's saving by renting from you and wash her things at the laundromat

Old 03-13-2015, 07:27 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Yes, no problem putting in the lease that the tenant is allowed to use the washer/dryer, which remains your property, but you will not repair it if it breaks. I'd also include something in the lease that if the washer/dryer begins to leak, etc., that they are required to stop using it immediately and notify you that it is leaking, etc., and you could even put in the lease that you must approve of any repairs that they wish to do to them.

As long as your terms don't violate law or habitability issues, etc., you can write whatever you want to in your leases.

Yup but the problem is that some tenants won't rent from you. You will look like you're a LL who doesn't repair things. You can lose very good tenants. Imo either offer it as a ammenity and deal with the repair/replace or yank it and they supply their own.
If you don't want the headache youre better off not offering at all.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:08 AM

400 posts, read 575,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
AquaDulce's concern is in dealing with a picky tenant whom he has already given much to, new appliances, free month, and is now considering a rental increase after her complaint about the washer/dryer. Depending on the character of the tenant, she may consider this retribution for her complaint or some sort of harassment, etc. It's not really a stretch to be mindful of such people taking things further when they are not happy with results...filing a complaint with Fair Housing which I have known can fine tremendous amounts. Hence, the idea for Aquadulce to cover him/her self as being a nice thoughtful person dealing with reality.

Just something to be mindful about covering oneself on.

I was talking with someone today in this situation and wondered how on earth he would pay the fine. The response was that if he couldn't, it would be attached to his home. It's one of those things people think are very unusual and will never happen to them...until they do. And it's not unusual among people who falsely feel entitled or angry about something.
You are correct about people needing to protect themselves. We have had discrimination investigations and crazy lawsuits several times in the last 5 years and my husband had never had one issue since 1968 when he purchased his first multi unit. Those lawyer commercials, billboards are one of leading causes of the problem. Thank goodness the fair housing cases were always unfounded but it cost money and time to go along with the process and it is embarrassing.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwgirl80 View Post
Yeah we had to completely change how we do business. We no longer provide appliances, craigslist helps those without them lol. Everyone now has the same flooring, carpets, paint colors to start.
I would be concerned about damage to walls and floors caused by appliances being constantly moved in and out. Have you experienced any problems with increased damage?

Old 03-15-2015, 10:35 PM

7,308 posts, read 14,685,613 times
Quote:
I decided that I'd rather live closer to my job so I can walk to work, rather that drive. And rents are much higher in the downtown Austin area, so I had to settle for a very modest abode. My rental property is 8 miles from the Capitol, where I work. I used to live in my rental--I even tried commuting by bike from there for awhile. Just got tired of relying on an automobile.
Geez, I've been relying on the same vehicle for the past 25 years. If you take care of it, it takes care of you.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:48 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Geez, I've been relying on the same vehicle for the past 25 years. If you take care of it, it takes care of you.
Let me rephrase that. I got tired of spending an hour a day in a car. I now spend 40 minutes a day walking instead.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
I am increasing the rent from $1,100 to $1,200--beginning with the new lease, six months away. The is not actionable in any way.

It is absolutely my right as a landlord, as long as I provide adequate notice. She has six months before her lease ends.

FWIW, she has stated on several occasions that she is looking to buy a home closer to where she works.

I don't see the problem.

"she may consider this retribution for her complaint or some sort of harassment, etc."
". . .filing a complaint with Fair Housing"

really?

In my experience, a common (but hardly universal) feature of residential leases is a sort of "free pass" that allows tenants to break a lease without penalty with adequate notice when buying and moving into a home.

What's the reasoning? Part of the exalted and favored status of homeownership in this country?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting