Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 02:09 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

Just want to say I feel for you, OP, and others who've dealt with similar issues.

The problem I am currently facing where I live pales in comparison to yours, but the noise is distracting and unsettling.

In my case, I've been in my place for a long time, and the people above me are generally very quiet. But the building is aging and there are now squeaks developing in the ceiling in my living room.

The one squeak is loud enough to startle me, but over the past few months since it started, I've worked on training myself to ignore it.

Then I got a new next door neighbor who I have now nicknamed the water buffalo. Overall this person is quiet, but they manage to slam cabinets and thump around a lot when they are in the kitchen. This is not at the threshold of anything I can reasonably report to my landlord, but its highly irritating to me.

I had a SUPER quiet neighbor for over two years, so I got spoiled. Plus I am just super sensitive to noise in general.

I recently got a pair of custom ear plugs made at a local hearing clinic. I use them for times when I just NEED absolute silence. It helps give me a feeling of control in this situation. I also keep a white noise machine on loud next to my door. That also is helping.

Last, this site: Unique Noise Generators matched to your own Hearing Curve has some awesome relaxing sounds that you can adjust to your own tastes- the Rain Noise is my favorite- I feel my muscles relax within seconds of turning that one on.

I'm just not in a position to move at this time, nor do I want to as there are so many positives about this place that would be nearly impossible to find anywhere else without at least doubling my rent, so I've had to rely on these options (plus just enjoying the time when my neighbors are quiet).

Before I lived in this place, I lived in an apartment that was an old brick building most likely from the 1950's. Its the type that looks like a motel- with the walkways and doors on the back, and then patios on the front. I didn't know it when I moved in there, but that place was made out of solid concrete and I could not hear ANYTHING on either side of me or above me. It was like a bunker. I got so spoiled there, I never realized how different regular construction would be.

Best wishes to you!!!

Old 03-23-2015, 09:48 PM

65 posts, read 145,158 times
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will have to look into custom earplugs!! I have never thought of that before! Also, the white noise machine at the door. Interesting. Will have to do some research. We were totally spoiled for almost 3 years with absolutely silent neighbors. I didnt even think anyone lived above is for years! That era of quiet enjoyment is over. Too bad the young ones who should be looking around the college for a place to live keep streaming in (that makes me sound old, which I'm not, but this crap ages you!)
I wish we could find a place with cement foundations and structures. Sounds perfectly ideal!!

I'm actually going to start looking at buying as an option. Many of my friends have very affordable mortgages ($700-$900 a month) while I'm frustratingly looking at apartments to rent that run around $900-$1000 a month. If I can buy a pay less than a place I don't even own, I have to consider this option!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM

In terms of the custom ear plugs, I got mine made at a hearing clinic at the local university (this was the first place I called where someone actually answered the phone - so I went with them). They cost $150. I don't know if that is a good price or not, but it was worth it for me.

I've had them for a few weeks now and there are a couple little spots where they are a tiny bit tight, but the clinic said I can come in and they can adjust the shape if needed for free during the first 90 days (part of the warranty). Overall they are very comfortable, though

One thing I learned when I got them made is that everyone's ear canal is different - somewhat like a fingerprint. Mine actually curve straight upward about 1/4" into the canal, so that is the reason I could never get foam plugs (even the smallest, softest ones) to go very far into my ears. Apparently this is not uncommon.

This is the brand : https://www.westone.com/ - you can see the different types on there.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,509,953 times
Like many here, I had noise issues to deal with in the past when we rented. We had one upstairs neighbour we used to call
The Elephant Man because it sounded as if he was an elephant rather than a human when he walked.

I found this article this morning and thought I would post it.

Seems the landlord in question wants to evict both the family and their son as well as the complaining neighbour.

Parents of autistic boy face eviction over noise issues

Old 03-24-2015, 09:37 PM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva32 View Post
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I will have to look into custom earplugs!! I have never thought of that before! Also, the white noise machine at the door. Interesting. Will have to do some research. We were totally spoiled for almost 3 years with absolutely silent neighbors. I didnt even think anyone lived above is for years! That era of quiet enjoyment is over. Too bad the young ones who should be looking around the college for a place to live keep streaming in (that makes me sound old, which I'm not, but this crap ages you!)
I wish we could find a place with cement foundations and structures. Sounds perfectly ideal!!

I'm actually going to start looking at buying as an option. Many of my friends have very affordable mortgages ($700-$900 a month) while I'm frustratingly looking at apartments to rent that run around $900-$1000 a month. If I can buy a pay less than a place I don't even own, I have to consider this option!
Purchasing a residence is certainly an option.

However, sometimes it comes with its own headaches as I experienced.

I was living in an apartment where the person upstairs kept stomping and dropping large objects. My co-worker suggested I purchase a condo where I would be paying about the same as my apartment rent. I agreed, and as it was an upstairs unit, thought why not.

It was pure hell. The neighbor downstairs had kids that made huge noise. I don't know what they were doing, but they'd bang against the walls and the floors, and the construction of the building was so thin it transmitted noise everywhere. I complained to HOA and nothing seemed to work. Eventually got rid of the unit but at a high cost to my credit.

Last year I was living in a condo rental, and I absolutely loved it. It was upstairs, but most important, my neighbors were all cool and considerate. No loud noises, things of that sort. The only thing was the commute to my work was long, and a former co-worker suggested I move into his house closer to work. I regret the decision and am now looking for my own apartment. But I was thinking, that's the kind of condo I would have loved to purchase. I lived in it for a year, loved the area and it was quiet and my neighbors were cool. Unfortunately sometimes we don't have that luxury of fully knowing what our living conditions will be.

Anyways, what I was trying to get at, is that buying can be a big hassle if you end up with neighbors from hell, or things get bad for whatever reason. Yes, renting means you're losing money, but at the same time, you have that luxury of leaving without dealing with a lot of headaches.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Purchasing a residence is certainly an option.

However, sometimes it comes with its own headaches as I experienced.

I was living in an apartment where the person upstairs kept stomping and dropping large objects. My co-worker suggested I purchase a condo where I would be paying about the same as my apartment rent. I agreed, and as it was an upstairs unit, thought why not.

It was pure hell. The neighbor downstairs had kids that made huge noise. I don't know what they were doing, but they'd bang against the walls and the floors, and the construction of the building was so thin it transmitted noise everywhere. I complained to HOA and nothing seemed to work. Eventually got rid of the unit but at a high cost to my credit.

Last year I was living in a condo rental, and I absolutely loved it. It was upstairs, but most important, my neighbors were all cool and considerate. No loud noises, things of that sort. The only thing was the commute to my work was long, and a former co-worker suggested I move into his house closer to work. I regret the decision and am now looking for my own apartment. But I was thinking, that's the kind of condo I would have loved to purchase. I lived in it for a year, loved the area and it was quiet and my neighbors were cool. Unfortunately sometimes we don't have that luxury of fully knowing what our living conditions will be.

Anyways, what I was trying to get at, is that buying can be a big hassle if you end up with neighbors from hell, or things get bad for whatever reason. Yes, renting means you're losing money, but at the same time, you have that luxury of leaving without dealing with a lot of headaches.

I have been thinking about buying a condo- but you've just described my biggest fear - that I will end up with nightmare neighbors- or even just very annoying ones who have noisy kids all the time. I am very sensitive to noise.

I can't imagine what I would feel like if I had a mortgage in that situation. I feel somewhat trapped in my apartment (when my current neighbors are being noisy), but the truth is, I could move any time much easier than if I purchased a condo.

Old 03-24-2015, 09:56 PM

65 posts, read 145,158 times
Thank you all. I have the same fears about purchasing. If I did buy it would have to be a tiny home. Even if I did buy a townhome with amazing neighbors, things change and people move. As I said before, we had the ideal neighbors before and then that drastically changed...if I'm going to buy there will be no shared walls!!

Old 03-24-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Thank you all. I have the same fears about purchasing. If I did buy it would have to be a tiny home. Even if I did buy a townhome with amazing neighbors, things change and people move. As I said before, we had the ideal neighbors before and then that drastically changed...if I'm going to buy there will be no shared walls!!
Years ago I had a friend who bought the end unit in a 6 unit townhouse. Each unit was two stories and so she shared one common wall.

She moved in, spent a bunch of money getting it all painted inside, furniture, and then these people moved in next door who constantly blasted their home theater system, worked on their cars out in front all day on Saturdays with radio blasting, smoked on the patio in back so if her windows were open her place would fill with smoke.

It was such a small complex there was no strong HOA or anything like that.

She ended up having to sell and move just because some jerks moved in next door.

Old 03-25-2015, 04:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

Townhouse are generally built to a higher standard and will withstand noise. The unit I am in right now had solid concrete walls between units. I can't hear a thing. My neighbor has two beagles that sometimes howl like mad, but I can't hear them in the unit....only if my window/lanai slider are open. You can hear people moving around upstairs, but that's 'your' noise.

Buying in a neighborhood is also hit or miss....you're going to have noisy neighbors no matter where you go. You've got the hard rock guy, the early AM Harley guy, the crazy dog lady you yells at 0600 for her dog to "pee already", you have the party house that has weekly parties with booming music and random cars all over the street...the list goes on and on.

Noise is out there....not much you can do about it. Good luck..I hope you can find some peace and quiet.

Old 03-26-2015, 05:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Buying in a neighborhood is also hit or miss....you're going to have noisy neighbors no matter where you go. You've got the hard rock guy, the early AM Harley guy, the crazy dog lady you yells at 0600 for her dog to "pee already", you have the party house that has weekly parties with booming music and random cars all over the street...the list goes on and on.
This is exactly why I haven't purchased a house yet. I'd rather live in an apartment until I find the right place. At least if I have issues here, I can leave. If I buy the place, I've either got to stay there or sell it.

That being said, I would personally never purchase a townhouse or condo. I know that with my luck, I would still have bad neighbors. I'm going to hold out for a very large property. Don't care if the house is 500 sq feet as long as it sits on a few acres!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting