Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 10:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Just curious (from a point in the beginning of the thread) why do you ask if people are arrested instead of asking if they've been convicted? I guess having been in that situation it bugs me a bit more. I was arrested once but not convicted (the judge dismissed the case), so it makes me feel like some sort of deadbeat when it is not the case at all.

I may of used arrested as a general word. Should be convicted or on record. I simply ask if I run a BG check am I going to find something on the criminal record check. Surprisingly most are truthful on this one. I had a tenant and ROOMATE tell me he and a buddy were pulled over and there was a pot pipe in the car when they were young kids. Nothing showed on check so the cop probably just took it away. They were renting from me for two years. One got married and moved the other moved too . Although I ran checks and arrests do sometimes show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2015, 11:34 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I may of used arrested as a general word. Should be convicted or on record. I simply ask if I run a BG check am I going to find something on the criminal record check. Surprisingly most are truthful on this one. I had a tenant and ROOMATE tell me he and a buddy were pulled over and there was a pot pipe in the car when they were young kids. Nothing showed on check so the cop probably just took it away. They were renting from me for two years. One got married and moved the other moved too . Although I ran checks and arrests do sometimes show.
I'm always happy to give the truth but i guess it just is a pet peeve of mine when people ask more about arrests than convictions. Between job applications and rental applications, it seems split half and half if its arrest or conviction questions. I hate having to mark i've been arrested despite not being convicted. Granted, in my case it was like 6 or 7 years ago, but still bugs me to have to put that little mark there when i dont even have a speeding ticket against me in the 16 years i've been driving or never been late on rent, etc.

Old 03-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I'm always happy to give the truth but i guess it just is a pet peeve of mine when people ask more about arrests than convictions. Between job applications and rental applications, it seems split half and half if its arrest or conviction questions. I hate having to mark i've been arrested despite not being convicted. Granted, in my case it was like 6 or 7 years ago, but still bugs me to have to put that little mark there when i dont even have a speeding ticket against me in the 16 years i've been driving or never been late on rent, etc.

Understandable. Have you actually ever pulled your criminal record and see what you actually have on record?

Old 03-29-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Understandable. Have you actually ever pulled your criminal record and see what you actually have on record?
No, i have not, but in the past in my employment when they've attached the search history, it shows 0.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:07 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
My comments are in red as we have heard these sob stories often and are nothing then deadbeats not paying on time and blaming others for wrong doing.

If a tenant really experiences a bad LL which can happen they will mail their rent through bill pay, get a receipt or mail it certified to have proof.

Every story of entitlement people is usually what it is :bogus and mad at everyone else except taking responsibility for not paying the rent. However they will pay the cable bill and make sure they will have internet connection so they can stay in touch with everyone EXCEPT to stay in touch with the LL since they won't take calls from the LL.

Wow, I don't know where to start with this, so I'll take your comments in the order you made them

The drunk is not the owner, he is a middleman who pays house rent to the owner and makes a profit while also living in the house for free, by charging room rents. Is the drunk really a LL? Oh, and he has not worked one day in the past six years - first he collected his full99 weeks of unemployment, then he went on partial veterans' disability, then he went on Social Security disability (which pays him more than his partial veterans' disability did). And he has lived in the house for free while making money off the rest of us while creating a violent unsafe environment by letting his drunk (sequential) girlfriends move in and fight three times a week (with police calls and DV arrests along the way). At one point the owner kicked him out of the house because a female resident had a restraining order on him. He stayed at his brother's and returned to the house when the restraining order went away.

Looks like he's the one with the sense of entitlement in this house. He is so entitled that he consumes all the freezer space.

How am I in default? I have lived in the house six years and have paid the rent on time every month, first to the owner and then to the drunk. I have no control over when they deposit my checks.

As for doing good business and being very legal, in my experience, most landlords do not knowingly allow this practice, as that middleman profit represents money the landlord/owner is not receiving, and often entails overoccupancy or overcrowding as is the case where I live.

The owner has multiple properties and receives many rent checks. He is quite solvent and prefers to make one trip monthly to the bank. I pay my rent before the drunk pays his rent. If I am in default, is the drunk not in default?

Why should I have to make a special trip to the post office and pay extra for the privilege to prove when I mailed the rent check? The owner would be happy to verify that he always received my rent checks timely. And I'm pretty sure the drunk would never accept his money through a middleman like bill pay.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM

Quote:
No, i have not, but in the past in my employment when they've attached the search history, it shows 0.
Go pull your criminal record. If there is nothing on it then there is noting to disclose is there.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 PM

199 posts, read 384,173 times
Quote:
I would but I can't grow that great moustache and I would probably wreck the Ferrari
lucky you.... I have to shave like 3 times a week... If I wait a week i already have a nice mustache and beard lol.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Go pull your criminal record. If there is nothing on it then there is noting to disclose is there.
I wouldnt even know where to go for that, but either way, I've never had to explain my arrest to anyone (nor have i ever been denied employment or renter status for it), so i guess it must not either come up or matter to anyone On any app that requests arrest history, i truthfully write i was arrested but not convicted with the date. Seems good enough for anyone!

Old 03-30-2015, 04:28 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Wow, I don't know where to start with this, so I'll take your comments in the order you made them

And I'm pretty sure the drunk would never accept his money through a middleman like bill pay.
I guess you have no clue what bill pay is! Check with your bank! If you have a bank account!

Old 03-30-2015, 01:17 PM

68 posts, read 97,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I guess you have no clue what bill pay is! Check with your bank! If you have a bank account!
Hi,

I don't know if you have the option to edit your thread title or not yet just for the record it's, "lose" your money and not loose your money!

Thanks for the great thread and very valuable information!

Kind Regards,
SD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting