Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 12:32 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
that is what I expected to hear. There is probably no law against a landlord requiring the tenant pass a drug screen in any jurisdiction. If its legal for the landlord to require it, then its legal for the HOA to stipulate it as and expectation if you want to buy a property in the HOA.

Also a drug using owner who can afford to buy a property in the HOA is far less likely to become a problem than a tenant who can only afford to rent.

??? Many tenants pay more to rent than it would cost to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 03:51 AM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Also a drug using owner who can afford to buy a property in the HOA is far less likely to become a problem than a tenant who can only afford to rent.
You should not assume that a tenant "can only afford to rent." That is a misconception, especially with the influx of people relocating from other states. We have money to buy a place right now - and that was our initial plan - but everyone we spoke to strongly encouraged us to rent for a year until we got to know the area. My husband really took some convincing because it will cost us around $25,000 to rent for a year. That means we'll have $25,000 less to put towards a home when purchase next year and that's a real bummer!

Old 03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
You should not assume that a tenant "can only afford to rent." That is a misconception, especially with the influx of people relocating from other states. We have money to buy a place right now - and that was our initial plan - but everyone we spoke to strongly encouraged us to rent for a year until we got to know the area. My husband really took some convincing because it will cost us around $25,000 to rent for a year. That means we'll have $25,000 less to put towards a home when purchase next year and that's a real bummer!
I did not assume anything of the sort, you are obviously not "a tenant who can only afford to rent". Therefor my comment did not apply to you. But it does apply to all of those numerous other tenants who do can only afford to rent.

Old 03-22-2015, 03:42 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Many tenants pay more to rent than it would cost to buy.
Very very few.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:11 PM

465 posts, read 613,820 times
In any place we have EVER lived rent was higher than the actual mortgage. Why would people buy rental property for an investment if the rent did not cover the mortgage? There would be fewer rentals. We have rented for 14 years. Not because we can't afford to buy (we did) but because my husbands career had us moving every two years. The one home we bought the mortgage is $873. The rent we collect is $1200. Which is typical for the community since it has a very strong rental market.

As far as drug testing. That has NEVER been asked of us. We don't do drugs, and if any HOA asked us to submit to it that would worry me that there could be a drug problem in that community.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

You didn't mention where in Florida you're moving to, but I agree with the advice you were given. Rent for at least a year and learn all you can about the area...you don't want to end up in the wrong area.

Yeah, it does suck, but it beats being stuck with a home and neighborhood you hate and dont' feel safe in.

Last edited by Kim in FL; 03-22-2015 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-22-2015, 04:20 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Yes it's true. Employers in most states can also require drug testing.
There's a BIG difference between an employer and an HOA. One biggie is that an employer pays you, but you pay an HOA. I would never agree to such a requirement by an HOA.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:40 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:

You're smart to rent first, and especially in a state like FL. I noticed in your post #26 this woman never emailed you the missing page, as someone who resided in FL, get used to this.....LOL. There is lack of work ethic(well you will see for yourself) in general. Have lived in 5 states and never saw so many inept people in one place, they move to FL and don't seem to want to work. There is even an old thread on here on that subject.

Personally, I would find some other place to rent. You sound like a nice family and you're not being treated too nicely.

This is the only house available for rent.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:37 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Wow - all great points!
angiesu - never thought that there may already be an existing drug problem, hence the policy (((sigh))

Kim in FL - We are renting in Wellington - seems like a good safe place to start. And you are absolutely right, nothing is worse than owning a home you hate in a questionable neighborhood.

seain dublin - You're right, there are definitely other houses. Obviously, we really fell in love with this one. And sooo sad that the work ethic seems to be extinct everywhere - along with common sense and basic manners

I'll keep you all posted

Old 03-22-2015, 08:44 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Very very few.

In the early '90s, AP reported that the median rent payment (nationally) was greater than the median mortgage payment. Remember, homeowners locked in their P&I payment when they closed, often years earlier, while renters always must pay current (almost always trending north) rents. Not to mention that a substantial minority of homeowners have no mortgage payment at all. At one time, I paid more to rent a studio than my next door neighbor paid to own a 3BR house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting