Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 12:38 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times

Advertisements

Sr housing IS for the Disabled ALSO! So go ahead & apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2015, 01:21 AM

14,765 posts, read 8,093,254 times
I also think HUD Housing, Senior housing, or Section 8 would be the way to go. (If she had half a brain,
she would take the caregiver job, or look into it.)
Your MIL sounds like a piece of work! Some people just never really grow up or learn to be responsible for themselves....no matter how old.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:34 AM

983 posts, read 1,180,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Yes, live your life!

1. Do not co-sign any loans for them.
2. Do not lend them any money what so ever.
3. Do not allow them to stay in your place.
4. Do not otherwise interfere with their life or lifestyle.
5. Let them lie in the bed they made.

They are adults with their own free will and maturity. They made their decisions in life. If they end up under a bridge in cardboard boxes, so be it.
Saved me the trouble of typing it !

Old 04-11-2015, 04:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybarnaby View Post
^ thank you. The only problem I see is that they're in their early 50s, not 60s. My FIL is apparently collecting ssi early, due to his illness.

Mil had a job interview this week
First one in over 3 years. She said she nailed it, but it turns out she did not get it. She had 20 years experience, and could do the job with ease. She was fired from her last job (same type of work) for stealing from her company. I am 100% sure that's why she was denied, but not sure how they found out. She wants to sue her old company for "giving a bad recommendation and divulging info"...

Probably when they called her previous employer for a reference. They may not be able to say why they fired her, but they most certainly will say they wouldn't re hire if their life depended on it. When a previous employer tells me that, or is silent, or stammers. I know it's not good and the app goes straight to the trash.

It burns my ass that ppl who choose to screw up their lives can get so much 'stuff' for free..and society wonders where the entitlement attitude comes from. These people aren't really 'needy'...they're ignorant and made bad choices in life. Your fil didn' ask for his illness and I feel for him...your MIL? She needs a smack upside the head.

I can't imagine what your wife is feeling.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:15 AM

422 posts, read 574,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
I also think HUD Housing, Senior housing, or Section 8 would be the way to go. (If she had half a brain,
she would take the caregiver job, or look into it.)
Your MIL sounds like a piece of work! Some people just never really grow up or learn to be responsible for themselves....no matter how old.
I will have to call all of these places on Monday I guess. I doubt they can really give me much info on their behalf due to privacy issues. The more I have to do the worse I feel about the situation.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I can't imagine what your wife is feeling.
She's used to this by now. She grew up pretty crappy because of her mother's ignorance. When I met her, she was 5'3 and 110lbs. Perfect shape. I recall one of the first times over to her house when we were eating pizza and her mom told her "you don't need that. If you get fat, no man will want you"..

Or the times she was 8 and her brother was 4 and they would fall asleep on their parents friends couch, while 25 adults drank and got high in the basement while blasting 80s music. My wife has been negatively affected by her mom as long as she can remember. I could post hundreds more stories, but it's no use.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:52 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
I will have to call all of these places on Monday I guess. I doubt they can really give me much info on their behalf due to privacy issues. The more I have to do the worse I feel about the situation.
Because they're govt funded, their criteria, etc., is public info. So, since you won't be calling to ask about private info, you should have no problem getting answers to what might be a disqualifier, etc.

When I've applied, the application packet even lists crimes that will or will not be accepted and/or how long ago they need to have happened.

So, you should be able to get all answers to your questions with just the application packet, but they'll probably also tell you over the phone.

As far as bad credit, sometimes they're a little vague on that, but you can write a letter of explanation and ask for an appeal. I actually had to do this in my first apartment because of bad credit from when I became disabled and couldn't pay the bills. The max outstanding debt I had was over their limit. I wrote a letter of explanation and asked them to reconsider and asked what their appeal process was, and they ended up accepting me. After that, I filed bankruptcy, and that was no problem in the place I'm in now. I went ahead and included a letter of explanation with my application, but they didn't even need to go through an appeal process with the BK.

Old 04-11-2015, 02:27 PM

I was forclosed on during my fight for SSD & as I already said the Forclosure notice of my sons home help us move to the top of the housing list. Things like that don't effect HUD nor Section 8 What Does is people Owing the Gov weather it is Housing or Back taxes! I owe back taxed but the Tax office IRS & State gave me a letter putting what I owed in Deferment since I don't have any income other than SSD. A friend owed Housing he had to pay that off before they let him rent again. My son got in trouble at work like your MiL they said not important they look for Drug charges & Murder etc. BUT make sure she [MiL] puts in on the application cause they will find out. One thing they seem to hate is Lying on applications.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I was forclosed on during my fight for SSD & as I already said the Forclosure notice of my sons home help us move to the top of the housing list. Things like that don't effect HUD nor Section 8 What Does is people Owing the Gov weather it is Housing or Back taxes! I owe back taxed but the Tax office IRS & State gave me a letter putting what I owed in Deferment since I don't have any income other than SSD. A friend owed Housing he had to pay that off before they let him rent again. My son got in trouble at work like your MiL they said not important they look for Drug charges & Murder etc. BUT make sure she [MiL] puts in on the application cause they will find out. One thing they seem to hate is Lying on applications.
Is there a website I can go to?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2015, 04:03 PM

Quote:
is there a website i can go to?

Thanks
huh???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting