Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 06:34 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,464,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
I added to my post to make it more simple to understand.

I never went further than to make phone calls. I highly doubt you were even in such a situation.
Your post is self explanatory and perfectly understandable. You can "highly doubt" whatever you choose but your belligerence and combativeness over a helpful response to a simple request is baffling.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:02 AM

11,325 posts, read 9,211,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your post is self explanatory and perfectly understandable. You can "highly doubt" whatever you choose but your belligerence and combativeness over a helpful response to a simple request is baffling.
You started it by telling me I am wrong when I'm not. Pot meet kettle? I'd like to add to that but I will stop.

No surprise to your lack of experience in the OP's situation.

Old 04-18-2015, 07:09 AM

Good gracious. I simply pointed out that your statement was incorrect nor did I "start anything" which was simply a gauntlet you decided to take up without provocation. And please desist from comments which suggest a respondent knows nothing about a subject. That is simply rude and assumptive.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:14 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,321,109 times
[quote=STT Resident;39268365]Save the eye-rolling. If a single person qualifies for Section 8 a single person qualifies period. Just because YOU apparently didn't qualify doesn't mean that no single person can qualify.

Nor do I see what's "off topic" about the link I provided as it lists all manner of housing throughout CA which provides for the homeless and/or needy. The OP said, "I'm about to have no home ..."[/quote]

That's right! Eye-rolling is MY specialty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97IBY8cQ5fs

Old 04-18-2015, 11:58 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,712,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
If you are a single male you are f'ed. Only those with children will get help with rent. Food stamps may be a possibility.

Time to face reality and that is to live as cheap as possible. It may not be pleasant but you will have to find roommates, live in a small space with not as much privacy as you likely have now, and/or if possible get a second job.
A sign of these ugly modern times that started in about 2007 for many.
Yeah this is what I found. People's self help housing has places, but a long waitlist to get in. I called the county, and you only get general relief if you make less than $300 a month. I make about $1400 before taxes a month.

I did hear I could get food stamps.

I have yet to call the housing authority and see what places they recommend for affordable apartment living.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:07 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
Sorry, OP, there is no subsidized housing for young adult males who are underemployed and leaving a perfectly good home because they are tired of living with their parents.

You might be able to get into a homeless shelter, but there is a reason that the homeless prefer living on the streets to living in a homeless shelter.

I suggest that you learn how to take care of yourself instead of expecting the government to assume your parent's job.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:45 PM

13,912 posts, read 39,111,696 times
HUD.gov Apply even if you are told there is a waiting list a mile long! They don't have a clue who will need housing & what kind til they get to a name & contact them.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:29 PM

OP, I just read one of your recent threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/self-...l#post39250610

and have some different advice for you, based on my estimation that you absolutely do not need any assistance of any kind but do need a healthy dose of reality. You have a job, get a second one. Get a third job if you need to. I know people well over twice your age still working two and three jobs to get their children through college and finish up the houses they started building from scratch years ago. To even think that hard-working taxpayers should subsidize you just because you feel downtrodden is outrageous. You're young, fit and healthy so use what you've got to support yourself and for pity's sake grow up and out of this delusion that you're owed a living.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:02 PM

324 posts, read 425,414 times
I read the post STT Resident provided and can now see why you first put this in the psychology forum.

Did you have a falling out with your parents? Even if they do want to downsize, I hardly think they gave you a 30 day notice and are fine that you'll be homeless. That said, talk to them! This is a family problem and everyone involved needs to participate in resolving it.

Your part would be to find a better paying job Radio Shack. There are plenty of customer service jobs in healthcare and finance, closer to major cities like LA and SF, that would pay you closer to $20 an hour. Your undergraduate degree isn't useless, it meets the "bachelors degree preferred/required" part of job postings. It doesn't matter what your major was.

Then, start looking at roommate ads for those areas. People your age are always looking for roommate situations and you could easily afford one if you were making a bit more money.

As for your parents, talk about this plan with them and who knows, when you get the job and room, they may even offer to help out a bit with the move in costs.

This section 8 and food stamps stuff is just over the top, so get back to reality and focus on your goals. Hope that helps.

Old 04-18-2015, 03:25 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,712,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sorry, OP, there is no subsidized housing for young adult males who are underemployed and leaving a perfectly good home because they are tired of living with their parents.

You might be able to get into a homeless shelter, but there is a reason that the homeless prefer living on the streets to living in a homeless shelter.

I suggest that you learn how to take care of yourself instead of expecting the government to assume your parent's job.
Oh boy, I was wondering how long it would take a conservative whacko to come in here. My parents are moving into an elder community you nut job, so don't make assumptions.

This is why the conservatives will never have a president again. They don't care about people's circumstances and expect no one needs help to get on their feet and for sure are greedy and don't want their taxes to go help some one in need.

@introspectguy
I never even considered section 8 housing. I filled out the form for food stamps already and it seems I will be able to get some help there. This coming after a year of trying to get a better job, being hit in the face by my dad, and other **** going down. This thread isn't open to discussion about my personal life or anything else, but how to get rental assistance. It urks me that people need an explanation. Expect the person has exhausted every other option and HAS to resort to help from the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting