Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 06:49 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I wasn't even aware freemkt was on HUD or Section 8 ..... hummmm

You were right the first time. I wasn't able to even get on the waiting list. Eligibility extends to 50% of area median income; one person would be eligible up to a fulltime wage of about $12 per hour, which is more than my highest wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
People with disabilities have many options...

Some will have work related Worker's Comp... others qualify for early Social Security.

If low Income there are more programs that I have time to type here in my city.. everything from meal programs, discounted utilities, free cell phones, taxi vouchers, county paid medical insurance, etc.

If low income and not-senior and are childless, you can probably forget about discounted utilities and free cell phones, because in that situation you're going to have to live with roommates.

With roommates, you probably won't get a free cell phone - only one per address and one of your roommates probably already has the free phone for that address.

With roommates, you almost certainly will not qualify for discounted utilities, because all incomes under your roof are aggregated to determine eligibility. If you live alone, you can qualify up to annual income around $15K. If you live with 1 roommate, you qualify up to a combined income ~$21K...with 2 roommates it's ~$24K...with 3 roommates it's around $27K. As you can see, qualifying for a free phone gets more difficult with every roommate under your roof, as you are disqualified on the basis of THEIR income.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:05 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,288,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
You were right the first time. I wasn't able to even get on the waiting list. Eligibility extends to 50% of area median income; one person would be eligible up to a fulltime wage of about $12 per hour, which is more than my highest wage.
I Thought until now you were a Landlord

Old 04-24-2015, 01:24 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,488 times
Wow, reading this thread makes me feel sad. What a strange society this is, where some people are on the verge of winding up homeless or are homeless, yet the government essentially does nothing to help them out.

And yet, we're expected to pay for a bunch of things that are of no use to us as part of Obamacare.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:51 PM

422 posts, read 574,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Wow, reading this thread makes me feel sad. What a strange society this is, where some people are on the verge of winding up homeless or are homeless, yet the government essentially does nothing to help them out.

And yet, we're expected to pay for a bunch of things that are of no use to us as part of Obamacare.
There will always be people in need. There will also always be people like my mil who are lazy and want handouts. The lazy folks ruin it for the truly NEEDY

Old 04-26-2015, 08:11 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
If low income and not-senior and are childless, you can probably forget about discounted utilities and free cell phones, because in that situation you're going to have to live with roommates.

With roommates, you probably won't get a free cell phone - only one per address and one of your roommates probably already has the free phone for that address.

With roommates, you almost certainly will not qualify for discounted utilities, because all incomes under your roof are aggregated to determine eligibility. If you live alone, you can qualify up to annual income around $15K. If you live with 1 roommate, you qualify up to a combined income ~$21K...with 2 roommates it's ~$24K...with 3 roommates it's around $27K. As you can see, qualifying for a free phone gets more difficult with every roommate under your roof, as you are disqualified on the basis of THEIR income.
Roommates complicate things...

SRO and Studio Apartments have been the fallback in San Francisco for decades...

Don't forget to add disabled to senior and those with dependants...

Some of the new low income housing here was specifically tailored for Seniors and Disabled.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Roommates complicate things...

SRO and Studio Apartments have been the fallback in San Francisco for decades...

Don't forget to add disabled to senior and those with dependants...

Some of the new low income housing here was specifically tailored for Seniors and Disabled.

Roommates are for unsubsidized poor people i.e. those who cannot get or afford Studio Apartments.

SRO housing is not only bottom of the barrel, it has been rendered Endangered almost everywhere in this country, as the supply today is negligible.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:41 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,480,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Amazing that she is too proud to work a job that is "below her", but not too proud to accept money from other taxpayers.
Haha, yes you are so right. I think this is very common.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:07 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Roommates are for unsubsidized poor people i.e. those who cannot get or afford Studio Apartments.

SRO housing is not only bottom of the barrel, it has been rendered Endangered almost everywhere in this country, as the supply today is negligible.
It is still about 30,000 people in San Francisco.

One of the principal causes of the widespread homelessness endemic in the United States today was the wave of SRO hotel demolition that swept the country during the second half of the 20th Century. Across the US an estimated 1 million SRO units were destroyed between the mid-1970's and 1990's. The bulk of these demolitions happened in relatively short, intense periods. Chicago lost 80% of its 38,845 units between 1960-1980 (31,396 total units.) (Hoch and Slayton pg. 121) New York lost 60% of its units between 1975-81 (over 30,000 units.) Seattle lost 15,000 units between 1960-81, San Diego lost 1,247 units between 1976-84, Portland lost 1,700 units, and Denver lost nearly two-thirds of its SROs during the period. (Wright and Rubin pg. 7)

In all of these cities, including San Francisco, there was concurrent demolition and conversion of many low-income apartment buildings. In San Francisco, between 1970 and 2000, almost 9,000 low-rent apartments were demolished or converted. Between 1980 and 2000 another 6,470 were converted to condominiums.

Maybe affluence took over and was short sighted... I know many that started in SRO... boarding houses, etc...

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/2...-san-francisco

Old 05-04-2015, 11:09 PM

28 posts, read 28,970 times
an 8-10 year waitlist??

Jeeze that's enough time to stop having kids, get a job, and start to save money. I'm glad I didn't make bad choices and need other people to pay for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Yep. I have a friend that just got his voucher, and he waited eight years. I have another friend that said she waited seven years for hers.
So you are friends with a group of losers or is this some sort of welfare club?

Last edited by LaurenFromTN; 05-04-2015 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting