Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 11:39 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,314 times

Advertisements

So I'm just curious. I was always wondering how this works. I work in a city building, and yesterday we had a meeting on service animals inside all city buildings. The HR rep couldn't elaborate on service animals in rental homes. All she could tell me was that the LL could not discriminate. In houses/apartments where animals are not allowed, the service dog was exempt of this.

But what's the law about charging for a pet deposit? Where does the law stand on this? Like I said, I'm just curious. I've always kinda wanted to know, and yesterday's meeting peaked my curiosity on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:49 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,686,254 times
If you do a quick search, it's a subject that's been discussed at some length on a couple of threads in the past few months but these two links will probably help explain:

Pet Deposits and Fees | Nolo.com
NSAR Service Dog Certification - Certified Emotional Support Animals Are Entitled to Special Housing Rights

Old 04-23-2015, 12:00 PM

2,600 posts, read 8,789,000 times
Can a landlord charge a pet security deposit for a service animal?

Can a landlord charge a pet security deposit for a service animal? | PARJustListed.com

Old 04-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If you do a quick search, it's a subject that's been discussed at some length on a couple of threads in the past few months but these two links will probably help explain:

Pet Deposits and Fees | Nolo.com
NSAR Service Dog Certification - Certified Emotional Support Animals Are Entitled to Special Housing Rights
OK, great. Found the info somewhat useful. Thanks for the links STT. It answered my question.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:05 PM

In one of the links, it says that cats, ferrets and other animals are considered service animals. Here in AZ, only dogs and miniature ponies are considered. Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:31 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Pet deposits are for pets. Service animals are not pets.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:57 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Cant charge Pet Deposit Nor a Monthly Pet Fee!

BUT HUD Housing Authority Didn't Consider Katie a Service Dog til she was trained & we demonstrated what she did for me. Until then she was a Pet I paid Deposit & fees involved at the time. Once I got her trained they Refunded the Pet deposit to me ... We lived there another 4 months before I got Section 8 & moved.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,980,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
In one of the links, it says that cats, ferrets and other animals are considered service animals. Here in AZ, only dogs and miniature ponies are considered. Hey guys, thanks for the replies.
That's because you are using the WRONG definition and laws.

The American's with Disability Act (ADA) covers and defines Service Animals in public accommodations. Service Animals are any dog or in certain cases miniature horses that meets the definition of Service Animal. Rental Housing is NOT covered under ADA unless it's a public housing unit. Private rental units are covered under the Fair Housing Amendment Act (FHA Act) which defines the animals as "Assistance Animals" and they can be ANY animal.

It's a very Very VERY common blunder for people to use ADA instead of FHA when talking about rentals. A simpler way to look at it is ADA covers the public areas of a rental while FHA covers the tenant, rental unit and lease provisions.

As for Arizona, AZ laws recognizes ANY animal in rental units as that is the superior law.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:25 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
That's because you are using the WRONG definition and laws.

The American's with Disability Act (ADA) covers and defines Service Animals in public accommodations. Service Animals are any dog or in certain cases miniature horses that meets the definition of Service Animal. Rental Housing is NOT covered under ADA unless it's a public housing unit. Private rental units are covered under the Fair Housing Amendment Act (FHA Act) which defines the animals as "Assistance Animals" and they can be ANY animal.

It's a very Very VERY common blunder for people to use ADA instead of FHA when talking about rentals. A simpler way to look at it is ADA covers the public areas of a rental while FHA covers the tenant, rental unit and lease provisions.

As for Arizona, AZ laws recognizes ANY animal in rental units as that is the superior law.
I might disagree about the definition of "superior" here. It is the law with the broader scope.

I have a major problem with these laws and hope they get changed soon. Twice this month, we had applications turned in by tenants with pets, and when we approved them, and went to sign the lease, they said "oh, you can't charge me a pet deposit, they are emotional support animals." Nowhere on the application did it state this. In both cases, the letter from their doctor was dated in the last 6 months.

Besides being no deposit allowed, you can't limit the breed or the quantity. We had one recently that had 2 dogs and 2 cats, all support animals. This was in excess of the number allowed by the subdivision, but because they qualified otherwise, we had to accept them. The owner was livid that we didn't collect a pet deposit (would normally have been $300 per, or $1200 total pet deposit), but we legally couldn't. If they have a support Rottweiler, and the owner's insurance would be dropped by allowing it, the owner legally has to "shop the market" and can only deny if no one will give insurance.

Don't get me wrong, I am TOTALLY 100% in favor of the ADA laws. We've had a deaf tenant who had 2 service dogs and an epileptic tenant who had a service dog. I fully support laws that prevent discrimination against those tenant. But the FHA law is COMPLETELY out of control and needs to be cut back in scope substantially.

I'm at the point I want to turn down every tenant who has a "companion animal" because I know that at least 90% of them are just gaming the system (I don't, but I really really want to). I'd take them if they just had a "pet", but the game pisses me off. I feel bad for the few who have PTSD or some other mental illness who have a real, genuine need for a support animal. I know they exist, but it has been ruined for them by the majority of idiots who just don't want to pay a pet deposit.

Ok, rant over. The one good thing is that, so far at least, a landlord can still charge for any damage done by a companion, support or service animal.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:29 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
........I'm at the point I want to turn down every tenant who has a "companion animal" because I know that at least 90% of them are just gaming the system (I don't, but I really really want to). I'd take them if they just had a "pet", but the game pisses me off........
Tighten up your rental criteria so that you can reject them for a different reason than the animal.

I can't reject an applicant for trying to pass off their pet as a service animal, but you'd better believe I can find another legal reason to reject them.

I accept nicely behaved dogs and I have started to charge a deposit of rental amount plus $300, to anyone and everyone who rents from me.

In the past, I would charge the rental amount plus an additional $300 pet deposit. Now, every one pays the new higher deposit. Pet, no pet, service animal, it doesn't matter, everyone pays the same deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting