Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 10:37 AM

17 posts, read 39,621 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have an unmarried couple who have applied for tenancy of my apartment. I had each fill out an application separately and I have ran credit & background info on both- separately. The girlriend's income is not anywhere 3x the rent but the boyfriend's is. How do you handle this? Also, both are currently living with parents/family and are not paying rent right now. The boyfriend has rented before so I can call that previous landlord but the girlfriend has always lived with her parents. Please advise, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Curses! I don't have 2x income, I guess I deserve to be homeless.

If the rent is always paid on time, what is the significance of a ratio?

Old 05-02-2015, 11:02 AM

29,507 posts, read 22,620,513 times
I don't understand, if the guy has 3X income ratio, isn't that enough for the application?

Or does the fact that someone else will be living with the guy skew the numbers so that both need 3x income.

I don't quite get it.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 AM

I want everyone renting to be able to afford to the pay the rent each on their own. If they should split up and one moves out- say boyfriend moves out then the girlfriend would have to be able to afford the rent in full. The rent is 900.00 per month but she makes 1200.00 a month.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I don't understand, if the guy has 3X income ratio, isn't that enough for the application?

Or does the fact that someone else will be living with the guy skew the numbers so that both need 3x income.

I don't quite get it.

I think the concern is What happens if they split up and one of them (in this case, the boyfriend) moves out, leaving only one person with one income to pay the rent...especially when she doesn't have a rental history and thus no history of paying rent on time or late.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Maybe just give them month-to-month and then if they break up, they both can go there separate ways if one of them cannot pay rent or doesn't want to stay in the rental individually.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:18 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allycat4me View Post
I want everyone renting to be able to afford to the pay the rent each on their own. If they should split up and one moves out- say boyfriend moves out then the girlfriend would have to be able to afford the rent in full. The rent is 900.00 per month but she makes 1200.00 a month.
The girlfriend moving out is clearly not your concern, because the boyfriend qualifies on his own. The concern is the boyfriend moving out.

I guess my question is this: Imagine it were the boyfriend by himself. Would you refuse to rent to him because he might move out? If not, why would you trust him when single but not similarly trust him to stay there with a girlfriend? Yes, breakups do happen, but if they have enough common sense to know what they can afford, then the girlfriend will be the one to move out. Of course in real life it doesn't always work this way since the boyfriend may feel a need to escape the relationship, but it's just something to think about.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
All you need is 3x combined. And a lot of people pay their rent and pay more than 50% of their income for rent.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:30 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I'm not sure I really understand the problem. If they're both on a lease they're both legally responsible for its terms and conditions and if one of them moves out, that one still remains responsible for the lease. Ergo, if the remaining one defaults on any of the lease terms and it ends up with an eviction then the eviction is in both their names. You should have all the necessary background information on both so that if one defaults and you need to file suit against them both, a process server can find the one who moved. Married or not, as long as their combined income meets your criteria you accept them both as cosigners.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I'm not sure I really understand the problem. If they're both on a lease they're both legally responsible for its terms and conditions and if one of them moves out, that one still remains responsible for the lease. Ergo, if the remaining one defaults on any of the lease terms and it ends up with an eviction then the eviction is in both their names. You should have all the necessary background information on both so that if one defaults and you need to file suit against them both, a process server can find the one who moved. Married or not, as long as their combined income meets your criteria you accept them both as cosigners.

Thank you! This makes sense. I'm a newbie landlord so I am learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting