Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 09:57 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,064,300 times

Advertisements

I don't think I could actually go to sleep without the Coyotes singing me a lullaby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2015, 10:12 PM

51 posts, read 73,775 times
I don't have noisy neighbors, but what I describe as "prissy" neighbors. The gentleman who lives next door called the township on me because he said he doesn't like the way I dispose of my garbage. But he didn't tell the whole story. See, we're permitted to put our garbage out in cans or tied bags. I put mine out in tied bags. My neighbor's dog runs loose and comes into my yard and gets into my bags. THAT'S the reason he called the township on me. Instead of abiding by the leash law and keeping his dog confined to his own property, he wants me to change my accepted routine and dispose of my garbage differently. And when my basement bathroom was being remodeled, he called the township to complain about a dumpster in my driveway for the same reason - fear of his loose dog getting into paint or other poisons. Unreasonable people.

With every move, we're getting closer and closer to Amish Country. Right now, we're in the suburbs about three miles from a rural Amish area. That's our next (permanent) stop. I'm not sure if anyone here is familiar with Amish Country, but your neighbors are too far away to actually BE neighbors.

Old 05-03-2015, 07:44 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,057,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
You don't get drunks in loud pickups driving by at 2am? Young teens cruising the "back roads" with the stereo thumping out the latest rap crap?

Barking dogs at 100 to 200 yards is nothing. Penetrating bass "music" is something else.

My advice is be VERY selective about the property. Look for a dead end road and if possible buy the property at the very end. Make sure there is plenty of room between your home and the neighbors property line.
Our street has a 45 mph speed limit - but the only way anyone can do that is stone cold sober. Aside from the deer crossing at any place (had one guy hit one in front of our house about 1 am once), the road itself is very much a roller coaster - blind curves, curves on rises and dips, and no one who hasn't gotten familiar with it is going to make it home drunk. We have very little traffic even daytime. Stereo thumping rapcrap (it ain't music unless you can hum a tune) would have the hunters out - armed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I don't think I could actually go to sleep without the Coyotes singing me a lullaby.
It's those yotes that get the dogs agoing. There's no dogs within 200 yards around here, except for my own. The dogs in the perimeter around us are at least a mile as the crow flies. The train whistle at 11 pm once a week is 4 miles away and across a main highway. I once counted 10 vehicles in a row while waiting to pull out. Husband said it was time to move to the real country.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:39 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,835,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Whenever the wife and I buy a house in a year or two, we are building a cabin on a 5-10 acre property. Shouldn't hear any neighbors there.
I wish you well. I really do, and this sounds great.

Just watch out for trespassing ATVs. Major, major problem in rural areas throughout the country, and many offending riders think "No Trespassing" signs don't apply to them, or claim that a road was present where they are (in deep woods) 100 years ago, so therefore they have the right to ride, or that waterways are public property (they are not)...there's no end to it.

Yet such individuals would be the first to sue the landowner if they wrecked their ATVS and were injured while trespassing. The landowner would likely win, of course, especially if the land was posted - but who needs that kind of hassle??

It may pay off to put a short notice in the classified of the local paper once or twice a year. That won't stop trespassing ATV riders - but it gives you some legal protection if they get hurt while trespassing. Game cameras may also help identify trespassers.

ATVs can do major damage to waterways, plant and animal life, and cause soil erosion, in addition to being inherently dangerous and prone to turn over when ridden on uneven surfaces. They can also be extremely noisy.

They do have some practical uses, but recreational riders are the typical offenders.

I speak from experience as a rural land owner who has consulted a lawyer, posted signs, and run notices in the local paper, along with speaking to the major offenders. You have to keep at it, I've found...and at best, unless you police your land continually, you are unlikely to eliminate the problem, though you may cut down on the frequency of offense.

So before you go in search of your rural dream, check out the possibilities for potential nightmares. Look for ATV tracks and trails on any property you consider, ask neighbors, visit on weekends, check local ordinances, and if you don't want these things on your property, be proactive as possible.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:13 PM

7,292 posts, read 6,881,139 times
When dad moved out here all there was ,were orange groves and dirt roads nice and quiet ,now there are 4 wineries with bands in ear shot competing for the noise level,( ((((listening to two now))). try listening to two or three stereos at full blast . windows shaking and house vibrating the wineries are about 300 -500 yards away .
They are commercial so there's nothing we can do about it.
During the summer, usually every day especially the weekends, till 9-10 at night.
There are times that the singer is drunk or something and makes a fool of himself it's really sick. but the drunks don't seem to mind they clap for anything.
Now I have lived with planes flying over head all through the day and other machines going but there's no enjoyment in listening to bad music, mixed with other bad music, mixed with other bad music.
Time to put a movie in and cover up the noise .

Old 05-10-2015, 06:36 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,671,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
The wife and I had to call the cops on our downstairs neighbors last night. There are three college girls living down there and are usually pretty quiet.

However, last night they started playing music around 11PM and you could hear people yelling and screaming. The wife went down there and told them to turn down the music, but they just laughed and closed the door. We put up with it for a few more minutes, then decided to call the cops. The wife said there were at least a dozen people down there.

The officer showed up quickly and told them to disperse and "If I have to come out again, someone is getting arrested". Everyone left and the party stopped.

This morning as I was leaving, the girl saw me and yelled "why did you call the cops?". I told her because the apartment complex has a noise policy after 10pm and the city does too. We asked nicely and you refused.

I hate calling cops on neighbors because of possible retaliation, but sometimes it's necessary.

This is a college town, so it's next to impossible to find a place to rent without college students. Can't wait to get out of here.

My wife works at 7am Tues-Sat, and I work at 7am Mon-Fri, so getting to bed by 11pm is a necessity.

Anyone else had problem neighbors like this? How do you handle it?
You did right. Don't worry about it and try to ignore what they said to you. Many tenants will react like that who expect others to tolerate their disruption especially during those hours because they have no common sense. Just hearing that they reacted as they did when you tried to approach them initially prior to calling the police told me that they were going to retaliate just like they did.

Just keep calling the police if it continues and also make sure to let your LL know as well. Many LLs will take action if a tenant gets ticketed for loud noise/parties/music, etc. So if these tenants want to keep it up and continue like this they will be out on their tales in no time so hopefully you won't have to worry about them for long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting