Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2015, 11:41 AM

18,366 posts, read 31,455,132 times

Advertisements

I wouldnt let him in either. if I dont know where you belong, your not coming in.

and on another note, there are really stupid people out ther, like the rug in the door thing.

My next door neighbors ( an elderly couple, from hell) are annoying (years ago) so one night at 1am, I went down to the bells and was ringing thier bell like a mad man because they were making tons of annoying noise....they are so dumb, they just pressed the buzzer as if to let someone in.

who does that? if my bell rang at 1am, no way on earth would I open the door. can you imagine.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 01:59 PM

63 posts, read 147,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

who does that? if my bell rang at 1am, no way on earth would I open the door. can you imagine.
There was a time when a next door neighbor was having a birthday party on a weekday for one of her friends and I guess the friends left for whatever reason and upon arrival, at 2am my buzzer starts going off incessantly. And when they couldn't get in, all I hear is them screaming "let us in". Pissed me off that I opened my door as they were walking up (finally pressed the right buzzer) to F***ing press the right buzzer next time and to keep the noise down or else cops will be called. She moved out a few months later, before her lease was up.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:02 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,309,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely_Girl View Post
Would you open the main door/lobby door for strangers?

Today as I was passing by the main door coming from the basement (which is the laundry room) I noticed a guy standing out on the stoop talking on the phone, now I'm halfway up the stairs when I hear knocking on the glass door and he's pointing at the door for me to open for him. I'll admit it was a b***h move but I just stared at him from halfway up the steps and shook my head and went up.
Now if I had seen him before and knew he lived in the building, I would've had no problem opening the door but I have never seen this person before. I figured if he lives in the building, he should have the key, if not buzz whoever you're visiting.

I felt bad ignoring his request to be let in... But I rather not let strangers into the building.

To all the renters out in city data, do you open doors for strangers? Or am I the only one who doesn't?
Nope, if I don't know them, they are not coming in behind me.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:13 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,251,683 times
I used to live in a secure building and some idiot would constantly prop one of the doors open with a rock. Every time I walked by that door (a side entry door), I'd remove the rock.

Having said that, I feel super awkward not letting someone in if that person catches me as I'm walking in. It's pretty bold to say to someone's face, "Sorry, I can't let you in."

I guess I'm just not there yet. :P

Old 05-06-2015, 02:41 PM

13,911 posts, read 39,107,922 times
When I lived in a Sr building it was in the lease u get evicted if u let in people u didn't know. 1 day I was waiting for my ride just inside out of the cold & an aide that took care of some folks in the building wanted in I refused her. Several others came over balled me out for not letting her in! I reported it to the office was told I did the right thing all she had to do was come into the office they let her in. And the Aide knew this!! Well the others got warnings & they kept doing it. The Aide got Fired! The 2-3 other tenants got Evicted! Cause they also let a drunk in & he Raped his ex gf!!

Old 05-06-2015, 10:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,624,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonely_Girl View Post
Would you open the main door/lobby door for strangers?

Today as I was passing by the main door coming from the basement (which is the laundry room) I noticed a guy standing out on the stoop talking on the phone, now I'm halfway up the stairs when I hear knocking on the glass door and he's pointing at the door for me to open for him. I'll admit it was a b***h move but I just stared at him from halfway up the steps and shook my head and went up.
Now if I had seen him before and knew he lived in the building, I would've had no problem opening the door but I have never seen this person before. I figured if he lives in the building, he should have the key, if not buzz whoever you're visiting.

I felt bad ignoring his request to be let in... But I rather not let strangers into the building.

To all the renters out in city data, do you open doors for strangers? Or am I the only one who doesn't?
Not on your life.

The *whole point* of living in a building with security is that only residents and their actual guests are allowed in the building. If it bothers you so much to keep strangers out, then maybe you should move to a different kind of place and open up the space for someone who actually wants to live in a secure building.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:22 AM

1,326 posts, read 1,129,954 times
No way. I had a two door lobby that required two doors to be unlocked.

I PAID for that extra security and would have been pissed as hell if another tenant let a stranger into my secure building. I'm pretty sure you could be held responsible if you let some thug in, who then broke into another apt. or hurt someone.

Old 05-08-2015, 09:32 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,497,899 times
When I lived in a building with security doors, I never opened the door for anyone.

I'd tell strangers who wanted to gain entry to the building to buzz the janitor (who I didn't like).

Old 05-08-2015, 11:19 AM

16,787 posts, read 48,853,786 times
To the OP, NO! You did the right thing not letting him in. How would you feel if you had let him in and he went on to burglarize an apartment, assault or rape someone? Absolutely do not let strangers in.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:36 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,309,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daynet View Post
When I lived in a building with security doors, I never opened the door for anyone.

I'd tell strangers who wanted to gain entry to the building to buzz the janitor (who I didn't like).
Gee, aren't you just a peach?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting