Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 08:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
I'm expecting a conference call today.
Hopefully with your own attorney and not the one representing the PMC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 09:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
Quote:
I don't want to let this scum bag leave without a ding on his credit. I want to fight till my last breath.

LLs would you fold or play your hand?
This is how Bentlebee handled it...It wasn't a fast process per se, but she eventually got something back. Just be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

Judgment obtained in 2009 and today I learned where my deadbeat tenant lives!

Old 05-14-2015, 12:41 PM

461 posts, read 666,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
This is how Bentlebee handled it...It wasn't a fast process per se, but she eventually got something back. Just be prepared to be in it for the long haul.

Judgment obtained in 2009 and today I learned where my deadbeat tenant lives!
Thanks for that link! Sometimes the universe does make it right

Old 05-14-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Hopefully with your own attorney and not the one representing the PMC.
Nope, same firms that is on retainer with PMC.

Old 05-14-2015, 01:16 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Nope, same firms that is on retainer with PMC.
Oh well. Hopefully you won't be learning things the hard way ...

Old 05-14-2015, 01:43 PM

Here's the update:

Last evening, I talked to my attorney, Sandy. There was a lot of back of forth, but I'll give the bones of the conversation.

Dave's initial offer was to move out by May 31 and not owe me any money. I turned that down.

Sandy said Dave was offering to pay $300 plus move out by May 31. I said no, and the he owed more than that.

Dave's attorney told Sandy that he would not be at court because he had some "job training" to do. Dave hasn't had a job in almost six years, so I knew that was his way of trying to buy time because his attorney was going to ask for a continuance for him to complete the training. Sandy said the judge would likely grant the continuance because the time asked for -- one day -- was short. I would not have to appear in court when the opposing attorney asked for the continuance.

I said no to the continuance and told Sandy to go forward with the case and our counter offer. My offer was pay all money due and move out by May 31.

So, me and my crew get to court today (me, hubs, kids & mom) and swore in. Then Sandy asked us to step outside while she made the deal with the other attorney. I signed the documents and we left.

So in the end Dave owes me all past rent and has to move by May 31. He agreed to pay $50 per month. I will likely will never see it If he defaults on payments then a judgement will be entered. If he's not out by May 31 the Sheriff's will lock him out. Sandy said she would file the lock-out paperwork today just in case he doesn't move.

Old 05-17-2015, 05:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Sounds like it went well. Make sure you keep a copy of that payment agreement handy and the first payment he misses, you file for a judgment that day. You might not get any money, but you'll save a future landlord a huge hassle.

Good luck with your next tenant. Make sure you do credit checks and background checks as well as property inspections. They don't need to know when you're inspecting, they just need 'proper notice' that you're coming in the unit.

Keep up posted on Deadbeat Dave

Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
She didn't say when the Tenants were to sign new leases reflecting the increase. Oops Yes she did in a later post. June. I would pay Mays rent BUT put in Writing unless the place is Repaired I wont pay the Increased rent. .... But then there is a Legal way to do this I believe.

OP You took over from another relative How do you know the place is Not falling apart? & Would the Owner Want you to 1 Raise the rents 2 Loose all the Tenants?
You are assuming that the renter is not telling a lie about the conditions of the home.

No matter what you or others may think if you do not pay the rent as stated you get evicted unless the home is uninhabital.
Otherwise any repairs that are ongoing or scheduled does not mean that you do not have to pay the rent no matter what the rent is.

Rent is not a "fee" it is payment for use of property that does not belong to you.

Is English not your first language? I'm wonder if you understand what is being said with some of the replies you have posted on this and other threads.

Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
You are assuming that the renter is not telling a lie about the conditions of the home.

No matter what you or others may think if you do not pay the rent as stated you get evicted unless the home is uninhabital.
Otherwise any repairs that are ongoing or scheduled does not mean that you do not have to pay the rent no matter what the rent is.

Rent is not a "fee" it is payment for use of property that does not belong to you.

Is English not your first language? I'm wonder if you understand what is being said with some of the replies you have posted on this and other threads.

Also, there are steps and processes to follow to 'withhold' rent. State law must be followed before withholding rent.

Both landlord and tenant have responsibilities is this business relationship, but more off then not you'll see the tenant pointing at the landlord and ignoring their role.

*snort* at the bolded part.

Old 05-17-2015, 07:10 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
And all of this story is why landlords do not accept applicants who have an eviction on their record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting