Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 01:23 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

The landlord only has to give notice once that the landlord will be over every day to maintain the yard. He doesn't have to keep giving you a notice for each and every day.

Unless the landlord is running a noisy chain saw and felling trees, there is no reason to cancel your party. Ignore the yard work going on. Tell your guests that the landlord is the gardener, or the pool man, and get on with your life.

The only thing that I can say that is "good news" is that they can't deduct damages from your deposit for any repairs that they are doing to the yard before you move out. They aren't giving you the chance to repair any damage to the landscaping before you move out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 04:55 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I have zero tolerance for bullies.
Where is there any indication at all that the LL is "bullying"? The OP has given no information at all as to what exactly has transpired between her and the LL and thus no assumptions whatsoever can be made on that score.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:01 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Your tenancy ends in eight days so I see no point in asking an attorney to review your lease and draft a letter to her. Yes, your LL is being a pain getting the yard in shape for selling and yes of course she should wait until you're out of there to do all this stuff (and it's a bit daft when you've told her you're having a Memorial Day BBQ) but there's not really much you can do about it at this late date.

There's so much you've left unsaid and a lot depends on exactly when and how you've approached her on the subject. The only thing I suggest you do is address the water issue and do it nicely in writing, asking her to please cover any water charges above your normal usage when the bill is received.
Where did you get that their tenancy ends in 8 days? They are paid up through June 1, which I assume means they paid their rent on May 1.

OP - When is your lease up? As I said in the Massachusetts forum, if you got a 30 day notification that your lease won't be renewed, that's Kosher. But the only way your landlord can demand you move out is 3 months notice if they are moving into the place themselves. Otherwise, even if they sell, your lease is transferred into the new owner's name.

If you don't mind moving out in 30 days, by all means, tell the landlord that they can buy you out of your lease. I would get out anyway just because it seems like this is a tense situation. But legally, no, you do not have to be out in 30 days. Please get the services of a lawyer.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:09 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Where did you get that their tenancy ends in 8 days? They are paid up through June 1, which I assume means they paid their rent on May 1.
From what was said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomam View Post
We were then given a 30day termination of tenancy, we are paid through June 1st.
By the way, they've been in the property for 1.5 years so it's natural to assume that their annual lease rolled over to a month to month when their lease ended. The OP indicated nothing contrary to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting