Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Well, they didn't pay February's rent. I guess they are deciding the security deposit will do. I'm really worried about this. I tried to tell him to pay the rent and then fight for the deposit later. His roommates decided not to pay and like a mob mentatility, he went along. I think he is mature enough to be on his own, but not mature enough to have roommates that will do what they want. I've always said it was a bad situation. Unfortunately, when he moved from home he didn't make the decision to move out on his own, he was forced into it. I think I mentioned before that he only went to live with his father to finish high school. At the time, his father was living with his girlfriend in her home. She was nice enough to take my son in. Apparently things with my ex and her turned sour. She told my ex to move and of course my son had to go also. My ex is not the most exemplary father and could not live on his own other than getting a room. At this point, my son had a life up there. His job is there and his friends. I told him many times to come back here but he has chosen not to (and not because I'm awful to live with, lol).

Anyway, as you all say, leason learned. All I can do is worry and hope in the end he gets in a better situation.
Dont feel bad KJG, most people, regardless of their age and experience would most likely have done what your son has done. In the long run, its easier to just not pay the rent, giving the landlord the deposit and not fight for the refund. Even if they were to win a judgment against the landlord, it doesnt mean the landlord would ever pay.

While legally I disagree with his decision, I cant say that my reaction would have been any different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 04:27 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,488,979 times
I would file a restraining order against this man, for stalking. The wife did kinda threaten that the husband would do something about the boys...and then he shows up at work...definitely file a restraining order.

*What is the legnth of the lease...I mean when is it up? The landlord can't evict without a reason and from what I hear, there is no reason.

*The damage you are talking about is not going to hold up in court. All tenants have until they leave to fix something. I am renting right now and I am sure I have left a stain on my carpet, scratched paint...all of that will be fixed when I leave.

*I'm sure there is a landlord-tenants court or phone number. I would call and ask for advice.

*I would take pictures and videotape of the property upon leaving (I have done that to each apartment). This way when he tries to say something is damaged, you have proof that it was not.

*I wouldn't move out until the lease is up becuase if they do, they look guilty. And, I would still have friends over, unless something is written in the lease.

*I would go over that lease with a fine tooth comb and highlight anything specific to them, such as the type of notice the landlord has to give to enter, the amount of visitor/and/or cars, and so on. This way whenever the boys receive a call, they can go to the exact spot on the lease and have a stand.

*Also, document all that has happened between the landlord and them now.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:14 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Nothing new yet. Landlord hasn't thrown their possessions out the door yet. My son is still looking for a place.

I agree with everyone about the roommate thing. I definitely wouldn't rent to 3 boys under the age of 21. I knew it was bad from the beginning. I really don't know what the landlord was thinking about when he rented to them because it appeared that the he had put a lot of work into the house. It had new carpeting, new bathrooms, and new kitchen. If it hadn't been so far from where I'm at now, I woulda rented it. It was really quite nice.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:23 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Although it might not be a great idea to rent to college students who've never lived together, in a college town it's the only way to make any money.

if you have those kinds of restrictions, you'll have a very empty house.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:51 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Although it might not be a great idea to rent to college students who've never lived together, in a college town it's the only way to make any money.

if you have those kinds of restrictions, you'll have a very empty house.
Yeah! And hey... don't knock ALL college students just because MOST don't know how to take care of a place.

/rant

Edit: my roommates were horrible.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
I lived with a group our Juniro year of college and i think we were, for all intents and purposes, pretty good tenants. Yes, we had parties, but no the cops never came, that sort of thing.

But I was amazed at how poorly some people treated their home. The guys who lived next door to us has put 4 holes in their wall by the time they'd lived there a month! How the hell do yo do that?!?!

I wouldn't say most college students don't care for a place, but most college students living with a big group of friends- that's a risk I'm not sure I would take...

then again, the company that owned our places made a KILLING off dumb college kids.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Update. . . They received a court date for an eviction hearing for March 10. However, the landlord called today to say that he would be by tomorrow to pick up the keys. I told my son that he can't do that and that they still need to go to court before he can do anything more with them (unless they move before then). Tomorrow would be the day they would've had to be out if they went by his 30 day written notice. I still think he is thinking they will just do as he says. My son looked out the window the other night and the landlord was parked at the end of the driveway. He sat there for 5 or so minutes and then just pulled out. Stalking?

I also found out that when he did his "inspection" that he opened the dishwasher, refrigerator, oven, and washer and dryer. He complained about dishes in the dishwasher (?) and folded clothes on the dryer. He took pictures of both as proof of the boys living as heathens (his words). He actually lifted the couch cushions. Can we say psycho here?

Still sounds like a set up to me. Within 2 weeks of renting he's inspecting? He apparently didn't run a credit check or reference check on the boys. Almost like he knew they would be slobs and stupid and he could get them out within a month and then keep the deposit. My son said they cleaned before the landlord came but I guess having clean dishes in the dishwasher was an unsanitary condition in the landlord's eyes.

I reinforced to my son that if the man comes by to get the keys, he needs to have the police standing by. He said he'll call the landlord and inform him of this because there is no eviction judgement yet.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:42 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
If your son gets an eviction on his record, he is going to have a horrible time renting for years. Might be a good idea to try to solve this problem outside of the courts, like vacate, and wait for him to keep the deposit, then sue him in small claims if he keeps it.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
If your son gets an eviction on his record, he is going to have a horrible time renting for years. Might be a good idea to try to solve this problem outside of the courts, like vacate, and wait for him to keep the deposit, then sue him in small claims if he keeps it.
Luckily, he is only listed as a tenant on the lease. His name is not on the court summons at all. He basically fronted all the money but only one boy actually signed the lease. The other two were put on as other occupants only. Don't know why and they didn't think to ask. I feel for the other boy, but at least he has the option of moving back with his parents. They also didn't know that it was only a six month lease and the landlord didn't mention it and of course the kid didn't read the whole six page lease when he was signing it. They thought it was the usual year's lease.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:37 AM

240 posts, read 1,065,345 times
Nothing can be done until the court says it can be done unless there is no lease at all. Than they can tell them to be out in 30 days but has to give good reason, like they are selling or so forth. In Maryland, a landlord can not just come over without 24 hours notice unless its a problem with something like the hotwater heater busted, the stove broke, etc. He can not do unannounced inspections. Trust me on this one. They can't just walk in for no reason. He has no reason to open a refrigerator nor check a clothes dryer. That is none of his business. It won't do any good for your son to get a lawyer because most of them are for the landlord and not the tenant. I just wanted to inform you that that part where he lives, there will be no sheriff, it will be the state police. There are no sheriffs unless you live in Westminster. The sheriffs dept does not deal w/ that part of CC, but again the court has to say get out if there is a lease, not just some person running their mouth. Also, I don't understand that if your son is a tenant and signed the lease, if there was one, the landlord should have listed him as well.
Something is fishy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting