Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:12 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I think this is the best course of action. Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.
Don't let it go.

Also I would move out of state. A state where you can get arrested for computer problems involving rent is not one I would live in.

Also I've seen people saying that once an eviction is filed it stays on your record, if so it may follow you to any other place you want to rent in the future.

I would get a lot of written documentation pertaining to this incident.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 08:20 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Don't let it go.

Also I would move out of state. A state where you can get arrested for computer problems involving rent is not one I would live in.

Also I've seen people saying that once an eviction is filed it stays on your record, if so it may follow you to any other place you want to rent in the future.

I would get a lot of written documentation pertaining to this incident.
Do you think this could have been reported to a credit agency? It's hard to get stuff off your credit report once it goes on.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Do you think this could have been reported to a credit agency? It's hard to get stuff off your credit report once it goes on.
Some people say it's automatic, but I don't know if they are landlords who are just trying to scare people. They also say when you file for small claims it shows up, and that I do not know about, maybe tenant landlord court would.

If I were you I would get my free credit report online. Just with one agency, and see if it's there. Then if it's not get your free one with another agency a few months later.

If it does show up I would think you might be able to have it corrected or disputed or put a comment it so people know it's a mistake.

Also you can get an instant free credit score at Credit Karma and if your score changes they will notify you.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:14 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Have the manager print an account statement summary showing you have zero balance due and file it away in case anything happens.

Then move on....
Yes this. Plus do you have your lease and all your cancelled checks or receipts from money orders/cashier checks etc? Keep all this in a safe place. If you don't have a safe / file cabinet, take pictures of everything and email it to yourself to keep a copy in case it gets lost.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:59 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,291 times
I actually had something similar happen to me once. My lease ended in the middle of a month, so I went to the office and asked exactly what I would owe for the prorated rent for that month. I paid it (on time) and a few days afterward, I came home to a note on my door stating that I owed them the difference plus some late fees and that if I didn't pay it, they would evict me. I called the office and started my story calmly, but when I was told that they wouldn't remove the late fee, I had a come apart on the girl in the office. After talking to three different people and finally the manager, they removed it, but it was such a headache.

This is what happens when these larger companies hire morons to do a job. They look for the pretty little girls and boys who they think can make a sale rather than someone who can properly debit/credit an account.

I would agree with others - get a copy of your account statement and ask for copies of your lease (which hopefully includes the free month of rent somewhere on it) and receipts for what you paid.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Yes this. Plus do you have your lease and all your cancelled checks or receipts from money orders/cashier checks etc? Keep all this in a safe place. If you don't have a safe / file cabinet, take pictures of everything and email it to yourself to keep a copy in case it gets lost.
I scan everything or if I'm out I take a picture and email it in triplicate as an attachment to my 3 main email accounts. That way it's never lost, I can access it from anywhere that I have internet access, and then save the email to a special folder and always have more than one copy.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Was anything filed with the court? If so, you need to get on this immediately, and do everything properly through the court to fix this error and stop the court action.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:30 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I scan everything or if I'm out I take a picture and email it in triplicate as an attachment to my 3 main email accounts. That way it's never lost, I can access it from anywhere that I have internet access, and then save the email to a special folder and always have more than one copy.
Yes! How many times have we "read" on here that they lost the copies or left it on this phone and now can't get it off of phone etc.

I actually upload it to both my email and google docs. I have a scanner but too lazy to use it, I just take HD photos of it and save it as a pdf.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 PM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
I talked to the manager today and we worked it out. She was a lot more apologetic. She said an official eviction notice was never issued. This was an eviction like letter they send out to get ppl's attention to pay their overdue rent. She sent me a screenshot of their computer system showing I have a zero balance and a signed letter saying it was a mistake on my part. Nothing went to the credit agencies so I should be good enough. Whew, huge relief.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I talked to the manager today and we worked it out. She was a lot more apologetic. She said an official eviction notice was never issued. This was an eviction like letter they send out to get ppl's attention to pay their overdue rent. She sent me a screenshot of their computer system showing I have a zero balance and a signed letter saying it was a mistake on my part. Nothing went to the credit agencies so I should be good enough. Whew, huge relief.
Glad it worked out, in the future never let things go, get documentation. If you go to court and say that a person told you something it's hearsay if they are not there, and if they are they most likely will deny it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting