Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:42 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Don't take legal advice from the internet.

My opinion is that you would be exempt from fair housing laws as long as you don't own other rentals (more than 4 total) and as long as you don't advertise. Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer.

It's that not-advertising thing that makes it difficult. You could try posting notices in places where female tenants might see them-- hospital lunch room, for example, where you might find a nurse who needs a place.--- if you don't mind turnover, most hospitals have traveling nurses who rent for a couple of months and then move on to be replaced by the next traveling nurse.

The senior center is a good place to post a notice and hope for a quiet tenant.

Or just go ahead and advertise and word the ad carefully. "Small guest house in landlord's backyard" sort of ad. Large families won't call and party people don't want to live in the landlord''s backyard.

I suggest that you learn what the fair housing laws and the Americans with disabilities act say, so that you don't violate them. They can be worked around, but you have to know what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:09 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Take applications from all parties and run background checks at their expense (Usually a 40$ or so fee)

Why you approve or disapprove any prospect is private and you do not need to tell them why.

Just don't discriminate for the protected classes of sex, race, family. And you can restrict a 1 bedroom to 1 person, no smokers, no pets.
What a selfish, disrespectful, and inconsiderate suggestion. Please don't waste peoples time or money like this poster suggests. You can take apps without taking fees, it's called Transunion Smartmove, if you get an app from someone who fits your criteria THEN run their background where they will pay directly to Transunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Don't take legal advice from the internet.

My opinion is that you would be exempt from fair housing laws as long as you don't own other rentals (more than 4 total) and as long as you don't advertise. Keep in mind, I am not a lawyer.

It's that not-advertising thing that makes it difficult. You could try posting notices in places where female tenants might see them-- hospital lunch room, for example, where you might find a nurse who needs a place.--- if you don't mind turnover, most hospitals have traveling nurses who rent for a couple of months and then move on to be replaced by the next traveling nurse.

The senior center is a good place to post a notice and hope for a quiet tenant.

Or just go ahead and advertise and word the ad carefully. "Small guest house in landlord's backyard" sort of ad. Large families won't call and party people don't want to live in the landlord''s backyard.

I suggest that you learn what the fair housing laws and the Americans with disabilities act say, so that you don't violate them. They can be worked around, but you have to know what they say.
Your first sentence applies to the majority of your post so well. The law prohibits the use of DISCRIMINATORY advertising and does not prohibit advertising.

OP question was answered very well earlier in the thread, it isn't discrimination because you are exempt from the law as long as you don't post an ad that says women only or along those lines.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:28 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idr591 View Post
It seems to me a guesthouse would fall under a roommate situation, I'm just not sure.
Not under your state law; it would be a legal rental unit if it is a separate structure from your residency structure.
Now, with that said, you are exempt from the STATE Equal/Fair housing regulations. BUT, each state has the authority of extend equal/fair housing laws to whatever type, shape or style of rental if they want. Florida has not extended it to your single rental situation, but since Florida has it's own Fair Housing regulations, you need to always check your state statutes as reference.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 1,820 times
Is there a law, king county, seatac, angle lake court apartments, luthern church & compass alliance
50/50, owned, that says you cannot have an ac in theonly window in your ground floor apartment ???? Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting