Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2015, 05:44 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times

Advertisements

OCD is also a Medical Problem. Sad but True! And coming on here and making fun of some one that has it is cruel. Maybe Next time rent to a Hoarder! which is also a medical problem! But at least you wont hear from them until the place gets condemned!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:32 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,532,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
You ever have this kind of tenant?

My new tenant is a clean freak. She literally cleans every square inch.
On the one hand, she has already cleaned some things very clean.

On the other hand, she kind of complains about things being dirty. I gave the house to her in "hotel clean" condition.

My house will be cleaner than what I gave her, but this is my first ever clean freak tenant.
We have seen that as well and actually are dealing with one right now but when we came to check on something she complaint about we noticed she leaves all exterior doors open to either save on AC or so she can see the neighbors and get some talking and socializing and keeping an eye on everyone so we told her due to Florida's humidity this will be a serious issue and mold are a serious concern.

We told the owner and this tenants complaints about everything we do directly to the owner so they handle it between themselves as the tenant wants us out of the way as she claims to have been a property manager but she couldn't even read the lease, follow instructions per the lease, etc.

The owner is one who feels he needs to allow her wishes otherwise he may loose her but he wants us to manage the place as he does understand she will become over the top if he let us go.

Having said this we have dealt with a few Mrs. clean and neat and it is nice aside from the over the top complaining about any small item but once they learn you won't go and allow all their wishes they will learn that they are renting and not an owner and in some cases you have to tell them directly that as a renter the owner doesn't have to do everything as some items are not really required and she is free to change it at her expense after approval.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:20 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,034,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Now this is something you and I can agree on!

The tenant will probably take better care of this unit than he does of his own home and he's complaining? Oy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I bet she's more of a complain freak.
I hope it doesn't come to that.

Right now, I'm just keeping my mouth shut when she makes a comment about cleanliness.

If I were complaining, it would be about the complaining. Right now it's not much, but who knows several months later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
OCD is also a Medical Problem. Sad but True! And coming on here and making fun of some one that has it is cruel. Maybe Next time rent to a Hoarder! which is also a medical problem! But at least you wont hear from them until the place gets condemned!
I prefer not to deal with extreme personalities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
These tenants do exist and they can be a minor pain. Usually, what you find is that they want a brand new house at a 30 year old house price. For example: The house had wallpaper when you saw it. The house had laminate countertops when you saw it. The house had 3 year old carpet (unstained, but not new) when you saw it. You aren't going to get the owner to upgrade to hand stamped paint, granite countertops and hardwood floors, no matter how much you complain. The "not clean" complaining tenants typically really want the house to be completely remodeled, but want to keep paying the price of a dated rental.

The upside is that they do typically take really good care of the property. The downside is they call you 5 or 6 times a week to have the same conversations over and over, no matter how many times you say no. We have rentals that are quite 70's looking still. They are undamaged, they are clean, but they are dated. Don't rent them if you don't like that.

yeah, my rental is priced accordingly. It was the best deal in the city for a house this size.

I've made numerous modern upgrades, but most of the house is still late 60s. popcorn ceiling, original kitchen cabinets.

Last edited by oh come on!; 06-15-2015 at 10:29 PM..

Old 06-15-2015, 11:50 PM

213 posts, read 339,190 times
I'm tempted to complain about the lack of cleanliness in our current rental. I don't have a problem with dated stuff, I once lived in a 1958 house that still had most of the original features - like a built-in phone stand for a rotary phone. The two-prong plugs were a bit of a pain, but there's an adapter for that.

But yes... I do expect to move in and not find the toilet with a ring of black growth in it. I do expect the floors to be thoroughly swept, and not little build ups in the corners with choke-able pieces for my one year old to find. I do expect the carpets to be cleaned, especially when the lease stipulates an automatic $150 charge for carpet cleaning upon leaving. I just found a bobby pin in the carpet when I was vacuuming this morning, something that I do not own or buy. And yes, I do expect high places to be cleaned out, and not a bunch of random toys left up there. And shouldn't they have cleaned out the floor vent of little bits of toys and trash?

I can't decide if I'm out of line for wishing they had ran a lawn mower over the place instead of giving us 3 week tall grass to deal with. Or couldn't they have at least done a test run with the sprinkler system and cleared out the overgrowth that's blocking the water path? I completely understand that yard care is my responsibility, I just didn't expect to be given a jungle.

On the bright side, I don't have to worry about getting dinged for much. I already ran the carpet cleaner over the living room section and made it noticeably cleaner.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,162,297 times
This comes the other way around too. I rented a room from this couple who had two other renters. We were supposed to split cleaning the bathroom. I got the stuff I used, a non-bleach and amonia cleaner and did what looked a decent job.

She starts banging on my door saying I didn't clean it. She's got bleach. I told her NOT to open it since I couldn't breath around it. She ranted on about how that's not possible but yes, it is. She said I must use heavy ammonia. I tried. I ended up coming out and laying down and taking antihystamines and told her I clean with what is safe to me. If she's not happy I'll give her ten bucks to do it her way.

She didn't like it but then she'd lied about using the washer. (she ran an empty since it might not be 'clean' when she found out I'd used it) and didn't like me using the stove either. All had been said were available before. I couldn't wait to move.

Then she and hubby and kids have family over. They didn't like us coming in... but in the morning every single dish is still sitting on the stove, unrefrigerated, and there isn't a place to warm up water. Then they get up, dish out the food that's been sitting out all night, and have breakfast??????

It was sooo nice when her husband got home on friday and they had a fight and both went home to mom and dad for the weekend. We had some breathing room.

If she rented a place, I'm sure she would have had to scrub it bare before she could claim it was 'clean' and would not have been a happy tenant.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:51 AM

3,125 posts, read 2,997,078 times
Hmmmmmmmm....

I have to say that -- in my mind -- there is no such thing as "too clean."

Old 06-16-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
Hmmmmmmmm....

I have to say that -- in my mind -- there is no such thing as "too clean."
That is right but that is not the main issue. The demands and constant complaints are while everything is clean upon move in.

Some tenants call normal wear and tear something that isn't cleaned and some will use "not clean" as something they can use to leave the place dirty upon move out as that is often the reason for the complaint.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:05 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,729,311 times
LOL as if its an issue. I'm a bit of a clean freak and my owner loves it. She's also a clean freak, so she always tells us how happy she is that we got her house to take care of it while they're stationed elsewhere. We're friends on facebook, so she always can see the condition of the house via my photos i'm sure. For what its worth, we've only had to report 1 issue in this house and that was a few days after moving in (one of her movers dropped a paperclip or something into our garbage disposal and it was making a horrible sound).

I will admit, the closest I've come to being "troublesome" is asking if I can repaint the trim and baseboards, but they're VERY dinged up and chipped (and noted so on move in checklist). The owner was happy to allow me to do so since its improving the quality of her home since they want to sell it when we move out.

Edit to add: I dont expect the houses I move into to be up to my quality, so before I even unpack, I clean the entire house again, especially bath tubs and toilets with bleach spray.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:13 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,358,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Unfortunately Lacerta, I can't agree with you on this one considering the OP's past posts, sorry
I didn't refer back to the OPs other posts. I was just responding to the general topic. These types of tenants do exist. I have had a few of them over the years. I have one right now, who keeps asking for things like "changing out all the working light fixtures to new of the type she likes", and "changing out the working stove, just because it is old".

Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I didn't refer back to the OPs other posts. I was just responding to the general topic. These types of tenants do exist. I have had a few of them over the years. I have one right now, who keeps asking for things like "changing out all the working light fixtures to new of the type she likes", and "changing out the working stove, just because it is old".
That's also what we refer too and we even have seen items getting broken so they can get them replaced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting