Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 08:12 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,438,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
[[..........how much one needs to earn per hour at a minimum in order to afford a two bedroom apartment across each state. Naturally, states like California and New York are particularly expensive, with individuals there respectively needing to earn $26.85 and $25.67 per hour in order to afford an average two bedroom......]]]]

With a two bedroom apartment, there are likely to be at least two occupants. So, they can earn $13 an hour each and make the rent.

??? ??? ???

Single mom has one or two kids, where do you get two workers and WhereTF do they both earn $13 perhour?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 08:15 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,321,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
A lot of the fast food workers protesting for a $15 minimum wage were complaining they had kids to support. That's their fault, but those people do need 2 bedrooms.
Only in America.

Billions making do with less elsewhere.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
No, what those people need to do is get better paying jobs and leave the minimum wage jobs to the high school kids and retired folks.

No one should expect to earn a 'living wage' as a burger flipper, cashier, stock-person or any other 'minimum wage' job.

They can go to school, get and education and get a better paying job. But most won't because its easier to flip burgers all day or punch a register than it is to actually apply yourself and get ahead. Plus, their govt assistance gets cut every time they increase their income...they want to stay low man on the wage pole because it keeps their free money coming in.

Before you start in on "they can't afford school" that's a load of crap. With FASFA, govt assistance and grants every "poor" person has the ability to go to school. Many health systems pay for their employees schools. They usually require you to be there at least a year, go to school for something medical related, and might require you to work for them for two years after graduation. Sounds like win win to me.

I know a young man who took an entry level position at a hospital starting at $10 an hour. He worked fulltime hours, no benefits, but after one year (his wage was $11.50 at this point) they paid for him to go to nursing school. Paid it up front and in full. He was offered a job in the ICU before he even took his boards. His current position pays him a starting rate of $24 an hour.

It can be done..but YOU have to want to do it (and no, I'm not talking to you; we know you're happy where you are)

There are protesters marching for that as well.

A lower middle class family in NYC earned too much to qualify me for financial aid, so much for FAFSA.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Only in America.

Billions making do with less elsewhere.

American landlords use American standards, not Third World standards.

How many American landlords would allow a single mom with two kids to rent a 1BR?

Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,005,561 times
Quote:
A lower middle class family in NYC earned too much to qualify me for financial aid, so much for FAFSA.
Then you get scholarships, take out loans, go part time, or work your way through college.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Then you get scholarships, take out loans, go part time, or work your way through college.

I graduated in the top 3 percent of my class, with SAT scores in the top 3 percent nationally. The only scholarship I got was a NYS scholarship that practically everyone in my homeroom received. (My school put the top 10 percent in the same homeroom.)

Also I took classes part time and worked multiple low-wage jobs, still had to take out loans and still have student loan debt. Was it worth it? No.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:00 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,005,561 times
Quote:
I graduated in the top 3 percent of my class, with SAT scores in the top 3 percent nationally. The only scholarship I got was a NYS scholarship that practically everyone in my homeroom received. (My school put the top 10 percent in the same homeroom.)

Also I took classes part time and worked multiple low-wage jobs, still had to take out loans and still have student loan debt. Was it worth it? No.
Well, you do have to do something with that education to make it worthwhile.

Old 06-18-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well, you do have to do something with that education to make it worthwhile.

Cool, what does one do with a liberal arts education if they cannot afford to go to law school?

Old 06-18-2015, 06:31 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,964,672 times
Quote:
Cool, what does one do with a liberal arts education if they cannot afford to go to law school?
There are millions of jobs that require nothing but a college degree. Entry level jobs, many in government, that have the potential for growth. How do I know this? Because when I lost my job, I saw job ad after job ad that required a college degree, with no specifics of what major. I was shut out of those jobs, due to my lack of a degree.

Yet, in spite of having no college degree and being a woman, I manage to make much less than minimum wage at a good job. How is it that I've managed to do this, while you have not, in spite of your (self-declared) brilliant mind?

Old 06-18-2015, 08:17 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,964,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
There are millions of jobs that require nothing but a college degree. Entry level jobs, many in government, that have the potential for growth. How do I know this? Because when I lost my job, I saw job ad after job ad that required a college degree, with no specifics of what major. I was shut out of those jobs, due to my lack of a degree.

Yet, in spite of having no college degree and being a woman, I manage to make much less than minimum wage at a good job. How is it that I've managed to do this, while you have not, in spite of your (self-declared) brilliant mind?
My that "much more".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting