Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 11:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times

Advertisements

I suggest you not renew their lease. Then change your policy to no pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 11:35 PM

199 posts, read 384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I suggest you not renew their lease. Then change your policy to no pets.
yeah but majority of tenants nowadays have pets... and most people will sneak a pet in one way or another. so better off to allow pets and collect a pet fee or and charge more rent a month etc :/

Old 06-17-2015, 11:44 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCLT View Post
yeah but majority of tenants nowadays have pets... and most people will sneak a pet in one way or another. so better off to allow pets and collect a pet fee or and charge more rent a month etc :/
I disagree. No pets policy means that unless it's a service animal, it is grounds for eviction. No landlord has to allow pets, unless they are a service animal. Sneak one in, and pay the price.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:57 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
However, you are not 100% representative of the general tenant population. Some tenants take good care of their animals and a distressingly large percentage of tenants do not take good care of their animals and they don't bother to prevent damage and smells.

A cat that isn't properly cared for will cause stink and cat stink is difficult to get rid of. Kitty litter flushed down the toilet is a blockage that is difficult to remove. If a cat sprays on the walls, the drywall has t be removed and replaced.

OP, part of being a landlord is learning to be very firm and clear about saying "NO".

I suggest that you give the tenants a written notice to get rid of the cat. They will claim it is not theirs and at that point, since it is not theirs, you trap it and take it to the humane society.

Incidentally, I accept pets and one of the reasons is that it gives me a chance to screen both the animals and the pet owner's responsibility and care of the animals. That works better than saying "no pets" and having tenants sneak pets in. I've had very little pet damage. Kids are another story, but I can't legally say "no kids".

oh, I totally agree and if I was a landlord, I wouldn't accept pets. Obviously Im a pet lover, but I'm also a realist, not everyone is going to care for their pets like I would and I wouldn't take the chance.

The OP should stick to their guns and say no. If they do add the feral cat, issue a notice and call it a day

Old 06-21-2015, 10:47 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
It seems to me by feeding this cat they have already added it, and who knows how many other feral cats feed at your house. I would be very upset that they so blatantly disregarded your rules as their LL.

Old 06-21-2015, 01:26 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
This is just a simple rant. 1400' sqare foot house with 3 adults residing (retired couple & disabled daughter) along with 2 dogs. They have been tenants for 4 years now and are good tenants as far as paying rent on time and keeping house clean. But about twice a year they beg for a 3rd animal ("three laps need 3 pets"). Their dogs have done some damage to the patio doors and a gate, which is normal and I know they will either fix or lose security deposit. I have told them repeatedly that our leases limit to 2 pets per household. Now they are feeding a feral cat and want it to become their pet. Again, NO!!! Just venting!
Sounds like eviction/non renewal is something you should start thinking about.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Some Tenants here moved & abandon there cats & Right away we ALL got notice that IF we Fed or watered them We be evicted! Sad thing is she didn't get anyone to come get them. One got killed by a fox we found bits & pieces. This past week paws of another.

IF your not going to let them care for the cats PLEASE have them Live trapped & turned into a rescue!

Old 06-21-2015, 11:18 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,643,596 times
no, no, no it's unfair to you and cruel to the animals involved to have so many in a small space

Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
This is why you don't allow the first pet. If they "sneak one in", you serve them an eviction notice, and find out real quick how bad they want that pet.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:29 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
no, no, no it's unfair to you and cruel to the animals involved to have so many in a small space

And How do You know How big the place is? Could be on a Farm as far as you know... Could be a nice Large 2 bedroom apt BUT the dogs are Small! You just don't know so How do you know its Cruel???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting