Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 11:29 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

lkmax, OK, does "going against" the "no pet" policy work better for you? Basically, if I as a LL tell a preospective tenant that I don't allow pets, and they tell me that that have one, they are going against my stated policy. Now, I as the LL can either enforce that policy and not rent to them, or I can change my policy, and charge them a corresponding non-refundable pet deposit and possibly an additional monthly pet charge. And, for the record, I once rented a house to a lovely couple that had FOUR pug dogs. The only damage I had to the house was to the paint job from their constant smoking - every wall and ceiling had to scrubbed, KILZed, and repainted before I could re-rent it due to the excessive yellowing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 02:09 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I am a little disappointed. I found my top pick, clean cut family. made the offer and emailed a lease agreement that I put together after reading state law & various lease agreement document online, last night. He was a strong candidate with no bad history. But

This morning he starts emailing to negotiate & he is hard ball. He wants to lower the rent, lower security deposit, ask for a refund for not having washer and dryer in the house, asked for more consideration because house doesn't have curtains/blinds. We talked about the rent and security deposit via phone & yet he waited until now to ask to lower. I gave in on the security deposit as that was the first thing he asked but I am not lowering rent or giving refund for appliances that I never mentioned the house had. I sort of don't want to deal with him anymore. He seems like the type that will complain about everything instead of changing it. I gave him 4 days to decide, which is too much and might be too late to make an offer to the 2nd runner up.

I guess welcome to the world of land lording. What seems like smooth sailing might turn out to be bigger pain.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I am a little disappointed. I found my top pick, clean cut family. made the offer and emailed a lease agreement that I put together after reading state law & various lease agreement document online, last night. He was a strong candidate with no bad history. But

This morning he starts emailing to negotiate & he is hard ball. He wants to lower the rent, lower security deposit, ask for a refund for not having washer and dryer in the house, asked for more consideration because house doesn't have curtains/blinds. We talked about the rent and security deposit via phone & yet he waited until now to ask to lower. I gave in on the security deposit as that was the first thing he asked but I am not lowering rent or giving refund for appliances that I never mentioned the house had. I sort of don't want to deal with him anymore. He seems like the type that will complain about everything instead of changing it. I gave him 4 days to decide, which is too much and might be too late to make an offer to the 2nd runner up.

I guess welcome to the world of land lording. What seems like smooth sailing might turn out to be bigger pain.
At least you got notice NOW before committing to him. Next! It sucks but there's good tenant out there for ya. Hang in there!

Old 06-30-2015, 02:51 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:

We recently had a prospective tenant like that after we had gone through all of the legwork to approve them. Told them they were approved and all hell broke loose on all of their unreasonable demands BEFORE they would sign lease and pay deposit. Whomever is approved and accepts must pay the deposit and sign the lease to hold it. If they can't do either we move on to the next one who was approved.

One of their demands, along with 50 other unreasonable ones, was that they not have to pay the deposit until they moved in along with the first month's rent. They claimed I never explained that the dep would have to be paid as soon as lease is signed. I explained the whole process very thoroughly during the showing like I do with everyone. They swore I did not. One of their other silly requirements was that the apt had to be professionally cleaned PRIOR to making some repairs that were needed in both bathrooms that was going to make a mess. Parts were on order while I was doing the showings. An agreement was typed up that would go with the lease stating that all repairs would be completed and apt thoroughly cleaned after repairs made. But they insisted that the apt be thoroughly/professionally cleaned prior to the repairs AND again after the repairs.

I finally told them that we were going to move on with next prospect because we could not meet all of their demands. They claimed we could not do that and that we were discriminating against them (mind you) and were going to sue us LOL. Never heard a word back from them. Gee, I wonder why?

I would decline this person if I were you. If your rent is adjusted accordingly as to what comes with the apt and what does not, then there should be very little adjustments and/or negotiating needed. Only you can decide on this one and yes, many times you just need to go with your gut feeling as long as it is reasonable and within the law. (not discriminating, etc)

Old 06-30-2015, 11:33 PM

169 posts, read 152,624 times
Quote:
...asked for more consideration because house doesn't have curtains/blinds
What are some other common bu** s*** excuses that renters come up with?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post

Probably about the same common BS excuses that LLs come up with.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:49 PM

199 posts, read 384,318 times
most houses should have blinds but as far as curtains go uhh no thats' on the tenants responsibility.....

if he's going to nitpick on the the security deposit and rent price i would stop responding to him altogether and move onto a different tenant. as far as washer/dryer goes majority of houses don't have those! and if they did you'd be responsible for maintenance on them so he's being a pain for that.

I don't think there's any law preventing you from making an offer for the 2nd runner up tenant?

Old 06-30-2015, 11:51 PM

199 posts, read 384,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
as far as blinds go most places have those already no?

as far as curtains go i've never put curtains in any rental lol. have had previous renters put up their own curtains and etc, or hang some type of sheets to keep out any extra light and etc

Old 07-01-2015, 07:47 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCLT View Post
most houses should have blinds but as far as curtains go uhh no thats' on the tenants responsibility.....

I don't think there's any law preventing you from making an offer for the 2nd runner up tenant?
What is the best way to withdraw application. Just flat out say, "sorry we changed our mind". Can I make offer to runner up before he denied this. He brought up one good point. The house has mirror in all closet door and he has kids under 2. Mirrors r not safe for kids. He asked if we will replace them, of course we will not. These r good mirror that most adult love but I understand 2 yr old can throw things at it & break it.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
What is the best way to withdraw application. Just flat out say, "sorry we changed our mind". Can I make offer to runner up before he denied this. He brought up one good point. The house has mirror in all closet door and he has kids under 2. Mirrors r not safe for kids. He asked if we will replace them, of course we will not. These r good mirror that most adult love but I understand 2 yr old can throw things at it & break it.
You stand firm on the rent, etc and don't negotiate anything. I thought you mentioned that he was not going to budge on his wants/needs for negotiation or did I not read that correctly?

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts we had a similar situation and we were not going to negotiate to the demands of the person we approved and offered the apt to so I told him right out that it was not going to work out, we changed our mind and we were moving on to the next person.

Won't that work for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting