Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:07 PM

34 posts, read 39,038 times

Advertisements

....Just like a child, or per person charge, demanding additional pay for a pet is unethical.

When they made laws to protect public from such land lord practices, no one would have guessed that, one day, LLs would stoop so low as to charge people an additional rent for their pets, so the laws as they are now, only apply to people.

Of course LL have their excuses, but the truth is, anything beyond a deposit is exploitation of pet owners.

Last edited by Tahdah; 06-25-2015 at 06:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:15 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
I completely disagree.

I own two cats and a dog. When I rented, I was perfectly happy to pay pet rent. My animals added pet hair to the carpets, and the dog did some damage as well. Not much in my case, but I can certainly see how some animals can cause a huge amount of damage. Pet rent simply compensates for the additional cleaning, flea bombing, yard-work, and damage that animals cause.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:18 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
We only charge a non-refundable deposit. No pet rent and I hate saying it as a dog owner and always threatening our dogs as a family member.... but under the law they are considered property and not on the same page as a child.

Sorry I wish the law would change so owners could be charged with higher penalties if they abuse or not treat them well!

Old 06-25-2015, 06:29 PM

Deposit cover damage.
An additional person could possibly cause damage right? So, why don't LL charge per-person?
The answer is because it's illegal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I completely disagree.

I own two cats and a dog. When I rented, I was perfectly happy to pay pet rent. My animals added pet hair to the carpets, and the dog did some damage as well. Not much in my case, but I can certainly see how some animals can cause a huge amount of damage. Pet rent simply compensates for the additional cleaning, flea bombing, yard-work, and damage that animals cause.

Last edited by Tahdah; 06-25-2015 at 06:46 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM

199 posts, read 384,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahdah View Post
Damage is what a deposit is for.
An additional person could possibly cause damage right? So, why don't LL not charge per-person?
The answer is because it's illegal!
LL do charge for more people. If you live in a 2bed/2br house and you have a friend move in with you the LL will tell you to pay more rent.......

Pet's cause damage, there is no guarantee that a pet won't. Some have bad odors, some shed a lot, some might be aggressive or scratch stuff etc.

I only see it as fair to charge maybe a non refundable pet fee and thats about it. If the dog is like a tiny poodle, yorkie or something most people won't charge additional rent per month and want only a small deposit and not even a big one.

Old 06-25-2015, 06:35 PM

A non - refundable deposit is an unethical scam, and illegal, unless you're in WA, Wyoming, Arizona & Nevada.

Any fee, charge or payment made with the fundamental purpose of protecting a landlord against damage to the property (including a so-called pet deposit) is treated as a security deposit. The landlord is therefore obligated to conform to the security-deposit rules, which state that non-refundable deposits are not allowed (except of the above mentioned states).

So, if you are charging a non-refundable pet deposit, you are a scammer who's breaking the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I completely disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
We only charge a non-refundable deposit. No pet rent and I hate saying it as a dog owner and always threatening our dogs as a family member.... but under the law they are considered property and not on the same page as a child.

Sorry I wish the law would change so owners could be charged with higher penalties if they abuse or not treat them well!

Last edited by Tahdah; 06-25-2015 at 06:59 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:43 PM

Adding rent per person is illegal.

As I said before, deposits are meant to cover damage caused by tenancy, as apposed to rent, which is in exchange for occupancy of the property.

The cost of regular wear and tear maintenance is the responsibility of the LL as the property is their investment.

This is not my opinion, but fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCLT View Post
LL do charge for more people. If you live in a 2bed/2br house and you have a friend move in with you the LL will tell you to pay more rent.......

Pet's cause damage, there is no guarantee that a pet won't. Some have bad odors, some shed a lot, some might be aggressive or scratch stuff etc.

I only see it as fair to charge maybe a non refundable pet fee and thats about it. If the dog is like a tiny poodle, yorkie or something most people won't charge additional rent per month and want only a small deposit and not even a big one.

Last edited by Tahdah; 06-25-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 06-25-2015, 06:45 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
Quote:
....Just like a child, or per person charge, demanding additional pay for a pet is unethical.

When they made laws to protect public from such land lord practices, no one would have guessed that, one day, LLs would stoop so low as to charge people an additional rent for their pets, so the laws as they are now, only apply to people.

Of course LL have their excuses, but the truth is, anything beyond a deposit is exploitation of pet owners.

Once you become a landlord and do not charge extra for a pet and end up paying for all of the damage to the property out of your profits your attitude just might change.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:02 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:

As I said before, deposits are meant to cover damage caused by tenancy, as apposed to rent, which is in exchange for occupancy of the property.

The cost of regular wear and tear maintainence is the responcablity of the LL as the property is their investment.

The rent is based on the size of the unit so rent is based on how many people will be in the unit but if you add a person. Unless your rental unit is covered by rent control -- or if the landlord is using a big rent increase as a not-so-subtle way to discriminate against you for an illegal reason -- your landlord can ask for as much extra money as the market will bear.

The landlord also has the legal right to change other conditions of your tenancy when you add a roommate and sign a new agreement. One change that is particularly likely is an increase in the security deposit. However, this is one area where the sky is not the limit, because many states limit the amount of security deposits. Usually the limit is a multiple of the monthly rent, typically twice the monthly rent. Keep in mind that if the deposit is already at the maximum, but the landlord raises the rent for the new occupant, the maximum security deposit goes up, too.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:03 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,836,700 times
Quote:

The cost of regular wear and tear maintainence is the responcablity of the LL as the property is their investment.

Adding rent per person is NOT illegal. I don't know where you got that notion. Also, telling a landlord that it is illegal to charge a pet fee or pet rent would simply force ALL landlords to stop accepting pets...yours included. Then where would you live furry friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting