Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:22 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
A real estate agent is going to do the same $59 background check with Accudata that I'm going to do. Actually they will probably cut corners with a cheaper check and want to hurry up and get their commission.

I will be the gardener once a week or more. I'm gonna see what's going on. Neighbors homes are about 20 feet away on either side. Will advertise as super quiet neighborhood.

I just ordered 2 books on doing this. Not buying that it's rocket science to screen someone.

You're doing vacation rentals, normally credit and background checks aren't done on vacation rentals as those are usually paid up front, in full, before they even arrive to the unit. Since you're doing a 3 mth rental, get your deposit and 1/2 the rent up front with the understanding that the balance is due the day they check in. Make sure you have a credit card on file in order to charge for damages beyond the deposit.

It's not rocket science, but most people wouldn't be happy to take a hard inquiry on their credit report for a vacation rental. For a long term lease they expect this, but for a summer home? Heck no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 09:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You're doing vacation rentals, normally credit and background checks aren't done on vacation rentals as those are usually paid up front, in full, before they even arrive to the unit. Since you're doing a 3 mth rental, get your deposit and 1/2 the rent up front with the understanding that the balance is due the day they check in. Make sure you have a credit card on file in order to charge for damages beyond the deposit.

It's not rocket science, but most people wouldn't be happy to take a hard inquiry on their credit report for a vacation rental. For a long term lease they expect this, but for a summer home? Heck no.

That cannot be a valid explanation; paying up front, in full, does not exempt one from credit and background checks on non-vacation rentals. Worse, landlords consider it a red flag to even offer to pay up front, in full.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That cannot be a valid explanation; paying up front, in full, does not exempt one from credit and background checks on non-vacation rentals. Worse, landlords consider it a red flag to even offer to pay up front, in full.

We aren't talking about landlords who do annual leases, we are talking about short vacation rentals. Big difference. Apples and oranges. Different laws apply.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:38 PM

169 posts, read 152,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post

You gotta do at least some kind of report to see if they are likely to be like the nightmare nanny (a squatter) or destroy the place. After 30-days (maybe it's 28) then they legally become a tenant (not a guest). This is a 2 million dollar home I am looking to rent for 3 months. I'm not sure if you are legally allowed to take more than first and last month's rent. Just getting started reading "The California Landlord Book: Rights and Responsibilities".

Old 07-04-2015, 02:03 PM

199 posts, read 383,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
You gotta do at least some kind of report to see if they are likely to be like the nightmare nanny (a squatter) or destroy the place. After 30-days (maybe it's 28) then they legally become a tenant (not a guest). This is a 2 million dollar home I am looking to rent for 3 months. I'm not sure if you are legally allowed to take more than first and last month's rent. Just getting started reading "The California Landlord Book: Rights and Responsibilities".
3 million whut......... O_O I'd never lease a 3 million house/vacation rental lol if i were you i'd hire a management company lol

Old 07-04-2015, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterCLT View Post
3 million whut......... O_O I'd never lease a 3 million house/vacation rental lol if i were you i'd hire a management company lol
Yeah. I think most of the replies here are agents trying to protect their jobs. I still haven't seen one explanation as to what they do that I can't do regarding a SHORT-term 3 month lease. I agree with Kim's advice to hire a maid for the purpose of being eyes on the inside. Again I will also be the gardener. Neighbors are also 15 feet away and you can hear a pin drop after about 8 PM in this neighborhood.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:36 PM

171 posts, read 197,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What about fake service dogs? People bring dogs on buses and claim they are service dogs but the service is not apparent.
Just because the service isn't apparent to you doesn't mean it's not legitimate.

Old 07-04-2015, 02:58 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,704,526 times
Is there even a point in doing a background check for a short term vacation rental? I lived in another city for 2 months one summer and just paid the guy the rent in advance. No lease or anything.

I figure that if the tenant will not have utilities in their name and will not have mail sent there, then there isn't a point in having a lease.

Old 07-04-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is there even a point in doing a background check for a short term vacation rental? I lived in another city for 2 months one summer and just paid the guy the rent in advance. No lease or anything.

I figure that if the tenant will not have utilities in their name and will not have mail sent there, then there isn't a point in having a lease.

that's my point. This isn't a normal rental..it's a vacation rental.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

But they can still squat. You don't have to do a full $59 search. Maybe a $19 search. http://www.accudatainc.net/6801.html
AFAIK the way the law works I would have to continue paying for utilities if they refused to leave.
And if I'm not mistaken you can't take more than first and last month's rent (plus deposit). Would be nice to collect all 3 months of rent up front.

I might also rent my home to someone (ex- a family) who is looking to take their time getting to know the area and shop for a home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting