Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2015, 09:23 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times

Advertisements

Say for example you either own an apartment complex or a management company that has been hired to oversee one. If someone who worked for you was so grossly negligent that tenants experienced extreme losses, complications, etc., would you want to know about it?

The situation: I was 'quite' surprised to receive a LinkedIn "invite" from a person I'd never met, never had any communications with- he owns the management company that was in charge of this apartment complex awhile back. I'm guessing the only reason for the invite was the "send invites to everybody in my address book" feature, and the only reason I'd be in the address book was ongoing email communications in the past with the manager who works for his company.

During the period of time they were in charge, I lost nearly everything I owned, and as I couldn't afford to simply pack up and move my family was in a very unhealthy environment due to frequent flooding- water, moisture, and mold. While I continued to bring this to the manager's attention, no one from the company ever came over to check on the situation, so I was stuck there for more than nine months until a different management company took over.

Considering the possibility this person never knew about any of this, do you think I should write a polite detailed letter giving him the information, or simply ignore the invite, or something else?

The only reason I didn't sue the crap out of them when I should have was I was afraid I'd get evicted and had nowhere to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
Say for example you either own an apartment complex or a management company that has been hired to oversee one. If someone who worked for you was so grossly negligent that tenants experienced extreme losses, complications, etc., would you want to know about it?

The situation: I was 'quite' surprised to receive a LinkedIn "invite" from a person I'd never met, never had any communications with- he owns the management company that was in charge of this apartment complex awhile back. I'm guessing the only reason for the invite was the "send invites to everybody in my address book" feature, and the only reason I'd be in the address book was ongoing email communications in the past with the manager who works for his company.

During the period of time they were in charge, I lost nearly everything I owned, and as I couldn't afford to simply pack up and move my family was in a very unhealthy environment due to frequent flooding- water, moisture, and mold. While I continued to bring this to the manager's attention, no one from the company ever came over to check on the situation, so I was stuck there for more than nine months until a different management company took over.

Considering the possibility this person never knew about any of this, do you think I should write a polite detailed letter giving him the information, or simply ignore the invite, or something else?

The only reason I didn't sue the crap out of them when I should have was I was afraid I'd get evicted and had nowhere to go.

Yes if I hired a manager and they mistreated/ignored the tenants and their requests for repairs I would want to know about it.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yes if I hired a manager and they mistreated/ignored the tenants and their requests for repairs I would want to know about it.
Thank you very much, I appreciate your input.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:06 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Agree. I would be livid if I found that out but then again, there definitely could be some that wouldn't care. But if they were paying someone to take care of their property, I would hope they would be very concerned.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:09 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Agree. I would be livid if I found that out but then again, there definitely could be some that wouldn't care. But if they were paying someone to take care of their property, I would hope they would be very concerned.

Exactly. I hired this person to take care of complaints, issues and general upkeep of our properties. For the manager to ignore tenants makes me look bad. He represents me. Or misrepresents me to be more exact.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Exactly. I hired this person to take care of complaints, issues and general upkeep of our properties. For the manager to ignore tenants makes me look bad. He represents me. Or misrepresents me to be more exact.
Exactly. They are getting paid to do exactly that or you would never have hired them. But worse yet, not only are they getting paid to do nothing, they are ruining your reputation in the meantime.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Exactly. They are getting paid to do exactly that or you would never have hired them. But worse yet, not only are they getting paid to do nothing, they are ruining your reputation in the meantime.
Thank you.
I checked their little website, and it turns out the negligent manager is still working for the company.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Thank you.
I checked their little website, and it turns out the negligent manager is still working for the company.
I would definitely write him a detailed email if it were me. What do you have to lose by doing so? And ask him if he has any advice on how you can get these issues taken care of or what it will take.

Old 07-01-2015, 04:56 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:

Yes, I'd like to know if someone I hired was being negligent. However, I'd like to know about it in real time, not months later after the damage is already done.

I would contact him and make sure you have all your documentation lined up and ready to submit.

Didn't your rental insurance cover any of your loss?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting