Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 04:31 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
AZ Manager, when you collect a holding deposit, do you tell the renter that it's non-refundable?
Taken straight out of my application.

Quote:
The earnest/holding deposit is refundable if my application is not approved (14-day delay required for bank clearance of check). If my application is approved, the earnest/holding deposit is credited to the required move-in costs. IF APPLICANT SHOULD WITHDRAW THIS APPLICATION WITHIN 7 DAYS AFTER WRITTEN NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE, a minimum of $__________ of the earnest/holding deposit WILL BE RETAINED in addition to the non-refundable application fee. IF AFTER 7 DAYS OF NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE, APPLICANT WITHDRAWS OR FAILS TO EXECUTE LEASE AGREEMENT, ALL EARNEST/HOLDING DEPOSIT MONIES WILL BE FORFEITED. UNDER NO CONDITIONS WILL APPLICATION FEE BE REFUNDED
I never actually take a holding deposit though if I were to this would cover me. My application is 3 pages and the last page is regarding holding deposits and authorization to run background checks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2015, 04:35 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
OP, if it was in fact a security deposit, a LL can only legally withhold monies from the security deposit for the reasons listed in this link.
http://coolice.legis.iowa.gov/Cool-I...t=562A#562A.12

Have your friend copy/paste the info in this link and send it to the LL certified mail/return receipt requested and ask that the full security deposit be returned to them in 10 days or you will sue them in small claims court.

They can even try emailing or calling the LL right away and state that they will sue them in small claims court for that total amount plus damages if it is not returned immediately to see if they will return it that way. But then also follow up with the certified mail demanding it be returned in 10 days so you have concrete proof.

Also, how long ago was it that they gave the check to the LL? Do they have time to stop pay on it? If it has not cleared the bank yet, I would stop pay on it immediately. (Again, this is only if it was designated as a security deposit. Process may change if any other kind of 'deposit'.)

Old 07-06-2015, 08:59 AM

403 posts, read 557,326 times
It sounds more like your coworker paid a holding deposit instead of a security deposit.

I can't speak for all places obviously, but years ago I was looking for an apartment. I found a place that I liked, but I had another place that I wanted to look at before accepting an apartment in this place. The place told me that they would hold the unit for me for 1 week after I applied and that the hold would end at noon of whatever day that may be. For example, if I applied on Monday, the hold would end at noon the following Monday and the only thing I needed to pay for that hold was the application fee, which I believe was $50.

They then told me that if I wanted to hold the apartment longer, I could pay a certain amount and it would hold the unit for 14 days. This amount was equal to half a month's rent. I believe rent there at the time was around $450 so $225 for a holding deposit, which was non-refundable.

I ended up taking the other place I was going to look at, but if I hadn't liked it when I looked at it, I would have had no problem with the other place's policies about the hold.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
It sounds more like your coworker paid a holding deposit instead of a security deposit.

I can't speak for all places obviously, but years ago I was looking for an apartment. I found a place that I liked, but I had another place that I wanted to look at before accepting an apartment in this place. The place told me that they would hold the unit for me for 1 week after I applied and that the hold would end at noon of whatever day that may be. For example, if I applied on Monday, the hold would end at noon the following Monday and the only thing I needed to pay for that hold was the application fee, which I believe was $50.

They then told me that if I wanted to hold the apartment longer, I could pay a certain amount and it would hold the unit for 14 days. This amount was equal to half a month's rent. I believe rent there at the time was around $450 so $225 for a holding deposit, which was non-refundable.

I ended up taking the other place I was going to look at, but if I hadn't liked it when I looked at it, I would have had no problem with the other place's policies about the hold.
One month's rent sounds like a 'holding' deposit/fee to you and that it be nonrefundable if they chose not to take the apartment especially without seeing the contents of the lease? That would be beyond outrageous and I doubt any judge would allow that if it were challenged.

A 'holding' deposit/fee of maybe $50 is one thing, but a full month's rent is a totally different story. Even still, if requested, a prospective tenant should be allowed to review a lease prior to putting any money down if they choose.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:58 AM

In my specific situation, I didn't care about the holding fee because I wasn't paying it. I would have only needed to pay the fee if I needed more time to decide after the first week. So I could have used the week that I got when I paid the application fee and then gone in before noon on that Monday or whatever day it was, paid the holding fee, and gotten an additional 2 weeks. I was seeing the apartment I eventually took the next day and decided that was the one I wanted almost instantly.

A prospective tenant is obviously entitled to review a lease prior to making the decision to move into a place. If a LL refuses to let the tenant review the lease, then that's a red flag and the tenant should stay away unless he/she has no other options.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:06 AM

I should also point out that I can understand the reasoning behind if from the LL's point of view. Let's say it's a small building, say 8 units with only 1 available unit. If I pay the holding fee, then it does no good to show the unit to other people because they can't legally rent it to anybody other than me during those 14 days. So if I want the full 14 days and then say no, the LL has lost that much income from that time that I was deciding. I've never been a LL, but I can see that from the LL's point of view. Now, tenants may not like it as much, but this way also forces them to be more responsible when looking for a new place to live. You have to assume that only a serious person would pay the money because it doesn't benefit them if they decide not to move in later on.

Old 07-06-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
I should also point out that I can understand the reasoning behind if from the LL's point of view. Let's say it's a small building, say 8 units with only 1 available unit. If I pay the holding fee, then it does no good to show the unit to other people because they can't legally rent it to anybody other than me during those 14 days. So if I want the full 14 days and then say no, the LL has lost that much income from that time that I was deciding. I've never been a LL, but I can see that from the LL's point of view. Now, tenants may not like it as much, but this way also forces them to be more responsible when looking for a new place to live. You have to assume that only a serious person would pay the money because it doesn't benefit them if they decide not to move in later on.
Yes, that is clearly understood IF it is a holding fee of say $50 that it be nonrefundable. But not a full month's rent.

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM

18 posts, read 47,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Quite the contrary. Before paying ANY money to a LL you should review the lease.
Does this include small application fees? Because I've read that landlords may not want to show lease prior to application approval. Unless it's a generic lease you refer to?

See post #2 at Reviewing the lease before signing where it's shown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Landlords allow people to review leases, but it's usually after you have applied, paid an application fee (and have been approved).

Old 07-06-2015, 04:53 PM

18 posts, read 47,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Quite the contrary. Before paying ANY money to a LL you should review the lease.
Does this include small application fees? Because I've read that landlords may not want to show lease prior to application approval. Unless it's a generic lease you refer to?

See post #2 at Reviewing the lease before signing where this is shown:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational
Landlords allow people to review leases, but it's usually after you have applied, paid an application fee (and have been approved).

Old 07-06-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentorme View Post

See post #2 at Reviewing the lease before signing where it's shown:
No, not application fees. (that is a whole other can of worms lol) Only holding fees, security deposit fees, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting