Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:51 PM

35 posts, read 32,738 times

Advertisements

also charging for dryer vent cleaning and calk on back splash. are these legit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 03:10 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammic View Post
Yes all this was done. They just sent the invoice along with pics. The pics were of dust on 1 fan blade, and flith behind the stove. and some dirt on the wall. I did not move the stove and clean behind it. The invoice was charging me for trimming trees and removal or bushes, cleaning the entire house, which my mom and I cleaned (pics to prove) repainting the house (inside) 1 slat in the blinds. Also stated the grass was really tall and had to be mowed. (have witness to prove this was done,but not a pic). I do agree to carpet cleaning, the company said they would take that out of security and that is my responsibility. Charging for batteries. The invoice has everything listed on one page. No receipts that anything was done. What is the landlords responsibilities or is this all mine? I have rented before and never been charged for anything like this? I thought they always painted before the tenant moves in. Its $175 to file in small claims just dont want to waste money if this is all my responsibility.
Carpet cleaning, behind stove, missing slat from blinds, dirt on walls, light fixture - on you

Repainting whole house minus dirty wall is on landlord if there's no stains, dirt writing/marking on rest of walls.

If your lease specified that you must take care of landscaping and mowing grass , possibly on you. If it just says mows grass, then the shrubs/trees is on landlord.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:41 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
perhaps if you post the complete breakdown of all individual damages and amounts for each it would help a bit.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:30 PM

I will post the breakdown but which one? I received a breakdown within the 30 days then i received another one today with different charges. (the invoice)

Here is the one i received today through email:

Touch up paint throughout- $30 for materials and labor-$100
Added 6/17- paint 3 entire walls materials $30 additional paint

Replace damage blind vane- $15 material Labor $15

Replace missing light cover $15 material Labor $20

Caulk in kitchen backsplash- $6 materials and labor $20

Replace smoke detector batteries materials $6 and labor $12

Basic 1 story dryer vent clean - $69

Detail Clean-$160 additional $45 because utilities was not on

trim (2) trees in front of house and in back and dispose $30 dump fees and labor $100

Trim bushes- one in front and in back and dipose material and labor $15

cut xtra tall lawn, trim and blow (already did this!!!!) $65

glue countertop formica $5 material and labor $5

professional deep clean, and steam clean 195.00

Makes me so angry the majority of this was done with pics to prove The cleaning fee is the most bogus that place was spotless!!!!!

Old 07-06-2015, 07:49 PM

Touch up paint throughout- $30 for materials and labor-$100
Added 6/17- paint 3 entire walls materials $30 additional paint-

Was any of these walls damaged by your kids? (You posted about kids feet on wall)

Replace damage blind vane- $15 material Labor $15 - on you

Replace missing light cover $15 material Labor $20 - on you

Caulk in kitchen backsplash- $6 materials and labor $20 - if no damage, this sounds like wear and tear.

Replace smoke detector batteries materials $6 and labor $12 LANDLORD

Basic 1 story dryer vent clean - $69 usually landlord

Detail Clean-$160 additional $45 because utilities was not on

trim (2) trees in front of house and in back and dispose $30 dump fees and labor $100

Trim bushes- one in front and in back and dipose material and labor $15

cut xtra tall lawn, trim and blow (already did this!!!!) $65

glue countertop formica $5 material and labor $5 was it damaged or just peeling upwards? If peeling, landlord.

professional deep clean, and steam clean 195.00

Does your lease specify cutting grass only or maintain landscape?

Old 07-06-2015, 07:56 PM

the walls were not damaged by holes or anything just some dirt here and there.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:57 PM

My husbands aunt is a landlord. She says homes get repainted before each tenant. Landlord is responsible.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:
My husbands aunt is a landlord. She says homes get repainted before each tenant. Landlord is responsible.
If there's no damage/dirt and just worn out. Then it's landlord. But you mentioned your kids and it's 3 walls, not the whole house.

Old 07-06-2015, 08:50 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
I will post the breakdown but which one? I received a breakdown within the 30 days then i received another one today with different charges. (the invoice)

Touch up paint throughout- $30 for materials and labor-$100 (This is usually considered wear and tear unless damage has to be repaired)
Added 6/17- paint 3 entire walls materials $30 additional paint (If this was added after the 30 days then it cannot stand)

Replace damage blind vane- $15 material Labor $15 (This is damage and on the renter)

Replace missing light cover $15 material Labor $20 (Unless the renter can show it was missing to begin with, such as the initial walk through, then it is on the renter)

Caulk in kitchen backsplash- $6 materials and labor $20 (This is wear and tear. Caulk does not last long)

Replace smoke detector batteries materials $6 and labor $12 (The landlord legally has to have these for the next tenant.)

Basic 1 story dryer vent clean - $69 (This is maintenance and the landlord is responsible)

Detail Clean-$160 additional $45 because utilities was not on (You are not obligated to pay for detail clean nor can you be expected to keep utilities on after you move out)

trim (2) trees in front of house and in back and dispose $30 dump fees and labor $100 (This is routine maintenance and is the landlord's responsibility)

Trim bushes- one in front and in back and dipose material and labor $15 (same as the trees)

cut xtra tall lawn, trim and blow (already did this!!!!) $65 (same as trees)

glue countertop formica $5 material and labor $5 (wear and tear)

professional deep clean, and steam clean 195.00 (assuming carpets here? If they were deep cleaned when you moved in then you can assume this is routine maintenance unless damaged.)

Makes me so angry the majority of this was done with pics to prove The cleaning fee is the most bogus that place was spotless!!!!!
See my comments in blue.

Also, most judges use the IRS depreciation rates. Carpets last 5 years in most cases, etc. You can read more here: Publication 527 - Residential Rental Property (Including Rental of Vacation Homes) - MACRS Depreciation

Also a helpful article here: Normal Wear and Tear - Tenant Resource Center

Anything a landlord does after each tenant moves out (whether they con the tenant into doing it or not) such as repaint, clean carpets, even detail cleaning can be considered routine maintenance and the tenant cannot be charged. I think you said you were there for 4 years? So most of this is going to fall under maintenance and wear and tear. I would fight it. Basically the landlord is charging you for preparing for the next tenant.

BTW, why is it so expensive to file in small claims court? It's like $35 in WA.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:05 PM

Another question---- I was just send an invoice today with additional charges. (the one I posted) this 37 days after I moved out. Can they charge me additional items after the 30 days is up? Thanks so much for all your input it is so greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting